Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Jim

1981 31' Excella Limited
Eastham , Masachusetts
Another Roof Dent Question

We are visiting our children in Durham, NC and when we went to inspect the trailer which has been here in storage we found a dent in the center back panel caused by a falling branch. Fortunately the skin is not broken. We've read all the threads and think our best resolution to this is to replace the panel on our 1981 Excella Limited. We will be here in NC for several days and then will be heading south and west to meet up with the Baja Caravan in CA. Can anyone recommend a repair shop any where on route to fix this problem? All sugestions will be welcome. We have about a month to get this job done.
When we made an early arrival reservation at the rendevous campgound we were asked about the condition of the trailer as it is an oldie. My wife replied "It's beautiful. It's an Airstream!" Oh well!
Jim

Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
What's the dent look like? If it has no sharp lines, I'd try pulling it with a suction cup. You can pick one of these up at an auto parts store and sometimes they take most of the pain out of a dent. I did one on the rear corner of my 74 and it worked well enough that only I know where the dent was.
Sarge

Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Roof Dent

Hi, if you wait until you reach California, [Southern California] I would highly recommend that you visit Andy at Inland RV, [Corona] or Rod at C&G Trailer Service; [Bellflower] These are the most capeable places that I know of besides Jackson Center, Ohio.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Jim

1981 31' Excella Limited
Eastham , Masachusetts
Thanks for your help. I think the dent may be too deep to be pulled out. I did this once on a shallow dent and it worked fine.
Jim
Old 01-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Jim,

Can you accept the dent as a beauty mark?

Pat
Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtime
We are visiting our children in Durham, NC and when we went to inspect the trailer which has been here in storage we found a dent in the center back panel caused by a falling branch. Fortunately the skin is not broken. We've read all the threads and think our best resolution to this is to replace the panel on our 1981 Excella Limited. We will be here in NC for several days and then will be heading south and west to meet up with the Baja Caravan in CA. Can anyone recommend a repair shop any where on route to fix this problem? All sugestions will be welcome. We have about a month to get this job done.
When we made an early arrival reservation at the rendevous campgound we were asked about the condition of the trailer as it is an oldie. My wife replied "It's beautiful. It's an Airstream!" Oh well!
Jim
Sorry about the dent, but what's the 4-1-1(information, for you "out of staters") on the Baja caravan??
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rockville , Maryland
Just wanted to add my recent positive experience with the suction cup treatment for dents. I had a huge unsightly dent in the starboard front quarter (a common location. It was between two and three feet wide and a foot to 18" high. It was also deep, maybe 4 to 6 inches. Responding to a suggestion in this forum, I got a $12 4-inch suction cup on ebay, clamped on and pulled. To my amazement, it popped out instantly, at least 80% of the problem gone.

There remained a sizable crease and some "sub dents." I attacked these with a "Ding King" ($19.95 TV special) which is a little bridge with a bolt in the middle of it with a plastic disk on one end that you hot glue to the aluminum, then screw on a kind of wing nut that pulls the aluminum out. A couple of hours and dozen or two "pulls" and you have to look to see the remaining damage. It's not perfect but when I asked my son what he thought of my dent repair, he asked "What dent?" He certainly wouldn't have missed it before the fix. Next time, I would pick up a 2" suction cup as well. I think I could have pulled some of the smaller remaining dents out much faster than with the Ding King.