Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Airstream Roof Tops

I am used to walking on RV roof tops with a ladder provided. I know AS does not have roof top ladders. Can you walk on a AS roof top? If not how do you preform any maint. or repairs on the roof ?
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You can walk on the main parts but NOT the end caps.
Be careful with the ladder against the side of the trailer it will dent. If you must walk stay on the rivet lines.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I got one of them fancy, jointed ladders that will fold up to make a W.
If I fold the middle joint to a 90degree angle, it will reach over the top of the trailer and rest on the roof.
Then theres no dents on the side of the trailer, and I have a scafolding on top to walk on. It came in handy when putting the AC in.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEHILL
I am used to walking on RV roof tops with a ladder provided. I know AS does not have roof top ladders. Can you walk on a AS roof top? If not how do you preform any maint. or repairs on the roof ?
A ladder can be leaned against the drip cap of any side window, at least from 1969 on up.

Airstream mechanics and dealer mechanics walk on the Airstream roofs all the time, without any problems. Just don't decide to do a jig on it.

CAUTION: DO NOT walk on the end caps, or segments, "EVER." They will very easily cave in if you do.

Many years ago, the factory in Ohio, had 30 mechanics, all at the same time, stand on top of a 30 foot trailer, "with no damage."

Wearing rubber soled shoes provides some walking stability when on the roof.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I use an alum ladder placed against the awnings on each side of mine. Also use the drip channel over the windows. I covered a few boards with carpet to lay from rib to rib if I want to actually get on top.

You see service people walk from rib to rib (such as fantastic fan people at the intl rally) but, if you get up and look at the roof of trailers, they put some dents between the ribs. It is just that you can't see them.

Fantastic fan people knelt on my roof and put a big dent beside one of my ribs. I am lucky so far that it hasn't leaked.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I make a scaffold with two ladders and a 2 x 12" board. I never put weight on the roof. The ladders lean against the drip rails, just as Andy says, but I also have a 1/2" piece of plywood with foam glued to it between the shell and ladder that provides more bearing area on the shell. See one of the photos on this post. Note that I tie the bottoms of the ladders together and the tops together so that they can't slip away from the 2x12, but I don't think that it really necessary.

Airstream Forums - View Single Post - A/C replacement photos

Zep