Originally Posted by hshovic
Wanting to reduce water and dust intake, I added closed cell foam and sealant to my bumper storage. Seems to work well enough, but when it is hot, the lid is hard to raise, cause the foam gets somewhat sticky (&#$@@@). I did leave the drainage holes in the base of the compartment. Did you? Did that seal it up well?
However, making that cover is a good idea, and even more so if it overlapped the
rear bumper like it does on the sides. Did you use existing hinge and rivet it on the existing cover?
When I first started, I had the same problem. Nothing but road grime in that compartment. I eliminated the drain holes, but when I extended the bumper, I skinned the bottom with two pieces of sheet metal, overlapping each other about 1". (The rear piece is on top of the forward piece). There is enough "slop" between the rivets that any water will drain out between them. Be careful not to overlap the other way or water will make its way into the compartment as you're traveling. I hope this makes sense.
I did seal in the rectangular tubing, as this is a bad spot for rust (on most models).
As far as the cover, it is riveted to the existing cover using the factory hinge. I added a friction hinge on one side in addition to the factory "stop" hinge on the right side. Overlapping the sides and extending the rear overlap onto the bumper help seal this area significantly better. I also added two keyed latches that I have adjusted to be very tight. This gives me a fairly decent seal and it stays pretty clean back there. Not clean enough for groceries, but you get the idea....