Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Rear BUMPER Replacement

OK - I am blasting this out to the world but I have tried the search feature with no luck. I need an original or original replacement for my rear bumper on my 66 Caravel. The one I have now comes off a later model AS and anoys me to no end (no pun intended). There was a post that mentioned a modern manufacturer of a possible replacement bumper for trucks that would match with a little modification. Does anyone have that dealers name or location? I have looked for a replacement on line with no luck.

Thanks in advance - blast away with the jokes - I'm ready......

BTW - when I get a replacement - who wants the old one?????
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think the bumper was for a 1948 Chevrolet pickup (front). The way people around here drive, I want the biggest, mondo bumper on the back of my coach.
Hope you don't bump into many dead-ends looking for your replacement part.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Last year I visited Trailer Buff Inc. an interesting AS restoration 'shop' full of neat old tools & about 25+ old Airstream ready for restoration and sale. They had an old bumper making machine with various shaped dyes to mold & fabricate different shapes of bumpers.

Question #1: Can they fabricate the correct rear bumper to meet the ‘66 Caravel’s specs. and your requirements? Probably not an exact replacement, but I don’t know.

Question #2: Do they have one in stock or will they cannibalize a trailer bumper for you? Don’t know, but here is their location and phone number:
732 Rockfish School Rd, off Rt. 151 (going south) and Rt.6, between Greenfield and Nellysford, VA. Phone (434) 361-2500. (Several miles west of Charlottesville, VA and near Afton, VA)

Good luck and let us know if you find your bumper.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello clancy boy,

If you have the rear bumper that is rounded over the top ,indents in the center ,then rounds out and over at the bottom ,then you can get that bumper ,If you go to new member 60 tradewind here on the forums under
scottanlily ,I have photos there and the rear bumper is shown in a picture
I posted .I bought it from grumman olsen co. on Long Island in NY .I asked
for the main bumper without any step plate on top or the kidneys as they are called ,These bumpers fit many many years of grumman olsen stepvans you see on the road .You will just want the main bumper only .I paid 78 dollars
and they shipped it to my door.They offer it in aluminum and steel .You will
need to measure the width of your bumper for when you call .Tell them you
need it for a older grumman van if they ask .When you get the bumper you will immediately notice that the ends curve around ! those curvatures will need to be cut off ,no panic ,easy to do .I put the old bumper on top of the new and just marked the ends where to cut.I have a chop saw ,so it was
a snap ,you can have it done should be no trouble at all .Thats the only thing you need to do to it,except for install.I got the steel bumper and welded it back on to the trailer.PM me if you need to ask any questions if after all
this you have the same bumper ,anyone else can do the same if thay need help with this .The bumper is exactly the same extruded shape as the original
airstream bumper.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
That's What I Was Looking For!!!!!

Thank You Scott - that is the exact information I was looking for. KARMA your way.

Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
bumper

Clancy Boy---Would you sell the one you have now? I am needing 2 bumpers for '70's models A/S. Can't handle Inland Andy's price!! Thanks,Butch
bbwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwwjd
Clancy Boy---Would you sell the one you have now? I am needing 2 bumpers for '70's models A/S. Can't handle Inland Andy's price!! Thanks,Butch
Let me find a 60's model and I'll give you a deal. It's in great used shape. Look for me and find me one and we can trade.