Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
1969 27' Overlander
Montrose , Colorado
Rear bumper issues

Hello,

Newbie here! We just purchased an '89 34ft. Excella and are in the process of gutting it so we can custom build it to live in it full-time.

It's obvious the trailer was hit on the rear right which has caused that part of the frame to tilt. No clue as to what happened to the left part of the frame as it is gone completely. My question is this - how integral are these protruding parts of the frame to the overall integrity of the trailer?

The trailer will likely be parked as a permanent structure so if we aren't traveling with it is a bumper even necessary? If we do decide we want to travel with it eventually can we have the bumper and that part of the frame worked on then? Or should we just suck it up and do it now when we have easier access to the frame from the interior?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	288375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	288376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	288377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	288378  

britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I would fix it now . That rear bumper area is where you store your power cord . My 85 had a ground wire on the left rear side of the frame rail is that still there ? . I would look for somebody parting one out for the parts missing .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If the trailer is never going to move again, a bumper is not a great concern. Make sure the 120v ground is still connected, as stated above, and then take steps to make sure that area is weather-and-critter tight, and enjoy your new permanent home.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

The decision you need to make is whether having the trailer "travel ready" is important at all to you. If you decide that you will never move it, then there are lots of things that are less important (ie., working exterior lights, functional electric brakes, springy axles, functional bumpers, serviceable tires, etc.).

Now, repairing that rear bumper and the bent/missing frame rails should not be a major expense, and in the greater scheme of work and expense to refurbish your trailer, it will be negligible. So, for the sake of making it look right (and not wrecked), I would do it.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A 34 has a long rear end overhang. The rear end is probably the weakest part of the trailer and there is a history of Airstreams being prone to the rear floor to body bond separating. No big deal if the trailer will not travel, but provide rear end support with stabilzer jacks, etc. Have it checked out if you will start to travel.

We also have a 34 and may be interested in some of the interior if you are gutting it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
1969 27' Overlander
Montrose , Colorado
Thanks for the help everyone, the input is very much appreciated!

The 120V cord is still connected, however seems to be in pretty rough shape.

As for making sure it is weather and animal proof ... there are holes in the rear subfloor and belly pan close to the walls and rear hatch- we an actually see the ground from inside the trailer in a few places. Our worries are that mice or other smaller rodents have had the opportunity to burrow through the rear and have made their way towards the front of the trailer. So even though the subfloor is in pretty good shape elsewhere should we go ahead and take the whole entire subfloor out to replace the old insulation and ensure there are no nasty surprises down there?

Lumatic, we completed the gutting today, so if you are in need of interior parts let me know, we'll be sorting through everything this weekend.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Our 34 is in real good shape. The only pieces I can use is: 1. the end of the overhead locker next to the door. Mine is hickory. I will send a photo of mine later, and 2. the under the sink water filter. If you were closer I would be up there in a heartbeat but I will pay for shipping. If the curtains are in good shape I might be interested in them as spares.

By the way your photo solved one of life's lesser mysteries for me. My 34 has a strange dent just above the bumper that I couldn't figure. It seems obvious now my Excella was also hit in the bumper. It must have been repaired but the PO decided not to replace the corner skin segment.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Britt,
We have a 1989 Excella 1000 31' and I am looking for a couple of galley drawer handles, they are brass colored metal and say "Airstream" on them. If you are interested in selling 1 or 2, here is my email so we can exchange info... (majjimdonbec@outlook.com) Thanks and good luck with your restoration!!
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, the input is very much appreciated!

The 120V cord is still connected, however seems to be in pretty rough shape.

As for making sure it is weather and animal proof ... there are holes in the rear subfloor and belly pan close to the walls and rear hatch- we an actually see the ground from inside the trailer in a few places. Our worries are that mice or other smaller rodents have had the opportunity to burrow through the rear and have made their way towards the front of the trailer. So even though the subfloor is in pretty good shape elsewhere should we go ahead and take the whole entire subfloor out to replace the old insulation and ensure there are no nasty surprises down there?

Lumatic, we completed the gutting today, so if you are in need of interior parts let me know, we'll be sorting through everything this weekend.

Thanks again!
So here is where you set foot to the slippery slope. Replacement of the entire subfloor is one of the most major of major surgeries. So if you end up replacing the entire subfloor, you will have to remove the lower interior skins, which will expose the rodent trails in your insulation, which will inspire you to remove all interior skins and replace all insulation. Along with this will be a replacement of all the insulation under the floor, and the inevitable repair of the frame, which will be rotting away in the rear.

This is a huge amount of work (and expense) if you never intend to tow the trailer down the road. You could get by with just patching up the subfloor so that the rodents no longer have a path into the trailer, and calling it good. BUT if you think there is a chance you will be towing the trialer, then now would be the time to do the work.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Based on the info so far I don't think removing the subfloor is indicated. Do you see any evidence of mice or rodents particularly droppings. Get a cat, use traps, or poison. They do make a little Havahart trap for mice which I have used successfully. If you poison Minnie and Mickey they ususally end up dying in the belly pan or walls making a stink. But if you really want to clean out the belly pan removing the belly pan is easier although messier.

PS I can also use a couple of drawer handles. The kind with wooden centers.
Send me a PM with your email and I will send some photos.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
1969 27' Overlander
Montrose , Colorado
Thanks again for the input. It's really appreciated. Now to decide what to do!

Majorjdb and Lumatic, we do have a few handles with the cursive Airstream, but none with the wooden centre. I'm not sure if we will have spares yet but I will definitely let you know if we end up having a few that we aren't going to reuse (it may be awhile though!).
Old 06-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt View Post
Thanks again for the input. It's really appreciated. Now to decide what to do!

Majorjdb and Lumatic, we do have a few handles with the cursive Airstream, but none with the wooden centre. .
Thanks anyway. I need the wooden centers.