Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Looking for advice about rear bumper

I am wondering if anyone has mounted a receiver hitch to the rear bumper of a trailer? Does the extra weight add to the sway while driving? Does the extra weight compromise the structure of the trailer?

I would like to use this for a bike rack, and/or a "crate" to carry a generator.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Curtis
Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to Clyde Gartman
Rear Bumper

The weight is the main problem and the up and down action at the rear of your trailer would put a lot of strain on your bumper. I would try to go underneath and attach to the frame.

I attached a rack to my 34 foot trailer frame and it did not affect the sway.
Clyde Gartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
From what I have read, it is very risky to attach anything of much weight to the back end of an AS trailer. Go to search and type in "Saggy Bottom" for a thread that talks in detail about this. It is definitely "owner beware"!! Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hello Curtis

Our previous trailer was a Coleman Pop up. I custom built a frame mounted hitch so we could use our bike rack on the rear or the trailer, and then transfer the bike rack back to the van once we were at the campsite. It was the smaller class II square type that I though it was tough enough because the bikes and rack weighed less than 75LBs.

Our first outting was a 2 day drive to Murtle Beach. All went well on the way down but on the way back going through Pittsburgh one of the components broke. (see diagram). We dragged two bikes and the rack down the highway for ???? miles.

Here are the things I learned from this experiance.

A. A 2 inch type III style of hitch is a must.
B. A safety chain is required ( which I did have ) on any device that is being carried.
C. Uhaul sold me a 2,000 LB lift bar hitch. I thought they were all 3,500 LB rated.
D. There is a large bounce factor on the back bumper of a trailer.
E. If you are going to use a bike rack I would suggest adding a support line of some kind to stop any up and down type of bouncing that will occurr.

Although it seems like a convienient spot to put bikes I would use it as a last resort. Our bikes go in the back of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer hitch.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1455  
Old 02-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dam!!

Wayne,

How did you realize that you were dragging the bikes? Did someone pull next to you and let you know?

Good thing you had that safety chain eh!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hi John..

The Coleman was a 95 Rio Grande. Very low! From the van's drivers seat rearview mirror I could see back over the top of the trailer and see the top of the bikes. I would check often and sure enough when I looked the one time " THEY WERE GONE". Amazingly only one bike was heavily damaged cause it was on the bottom. It needed two new tires and rims and a few other parts. The safety chain was the important thing, as you said because it kept the pile all together behind the trailer. Note this happened on the expressway on a quiet Sunday morning. The Coleman had leaf springs with no shocks which also adds to the micro bounce effect causing the metal fatique.