Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
SW Ranches , Florida
Help! - New Bumper Needed for 1968 Ambassador

Hello all! My fiance and I are currently working on a full shell-off restoration of a 1968 Ambassador (check out our instagram account @therivetedlife) and we've hit a little snag in our process. A previous owner did a number on the original bumper, welding two hitches on either side for daisy-chaining ATVs or something similar. Needless to say, it's an eyesore and since we're going through the trouble of a full restoration already, we are looking for a new bumper entirely. Therein lies the problem.

We are trying to keep the same look and have scoured AirForums looking for where everyone else got their bumper. It seems like much of the information is outdated and there are a few options available. Someone had mentioned on the forums looking for a stepvan bumper, but, after looking at the manufacturer's website, unfortunately their bumpers are the wrong dimensions in both length and width. Our bumper's dimensions are 88" long x 5" wide. If anyone can share where they got their bumper for their renovation, it would be much appreciated! We've also considered, as a last resort, getting a bumper fabricated. Does anyone know where we could get a steel bumper fabricated?

Second problem: Vintage Trailer Supply has the correct style of bumper, but they only have it in Aluminum (their steel option is no long produced by the manufacturer). I think the original bumper was steel (correct me if I'm wrong) and I would assume that the steel bumper - if prepped properly to ward off corrosion - would be stronger than the aluminum bumper. After the restoration is complete we will have spent >1 yr and tens of thousands of dollars fixing the AS and I would hate for a minor accident to do significant damage on account of a weak bumper. Does anyone have any thoughts on steel vs. aluminum bumpers?

Certainly it can't be this hard to find a bumper for our Airstream, right? If anyone could help us out, I would really appreciate it!

ashleyfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Hey I'm looking for one too! I think you'll find VTS has neither steel nor aluminum. I'm following up with vendors of Grumman Olsen van parts as its a very similar product but nothing useful yet
Old 09-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
SW Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Hey I'm looking for one too! I think you'll find VTS has neither steel nor aluminum. I'm following up with vendors of Grumman Olsen van parts as its a very similar product but nothing useful yet
It's such a bummer how difficult it is to find these damn bumpers! Any thoughts on aluminum vs. steel? Let me know if you have any luck with the Grunman Olsen vendor!
ashleyfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
At this point I'd take either material but would prefer aluminium just because it's lighter and I'd rather that the bumper deformed in a minor impact that my chassis. I did get a quote to fabricate a plain style aluminum channel bumper but it's about the same as a new narrow body airstream bumper which I might get luckily I'm in no rush
Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I checked with airstream supply too. Nothing available ��
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Better than nothing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Bumper...pXkQNU&vxp=mtr

Good Luck, I would say search junk yards,
Old 09-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bummer Bumper

Have you tried Colaws RV Salvage in Missouri? Also check with Colin Hyde in New York. He may have some as he does lots of Airstream repairs/updates. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I have a bumper from a '67 Ambassador that should be what you are looking for. PM me and I can send you some pics.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, airstream parts, bumper, shell off, steel frame