Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Discovered Mouse Highway

Like many here, I've struggled to seal up my rig to keep out mice, but they still occasionally get in. My last effort was to close up the slots for the entry steps. A month later, one still got in.

Well, today I removed my sliding storage tray from the rear bumper area (with helpful advice from this forum). Well, in the two back corners of the box/frame that supports the tray, were openings that expose 2-3" diameter round cut-outs in the cross member there. I presume to allow air circulation. A literal mouse highway into the underfloor area. In that very tight and awkward work space I managed to screw down screens over these openings. You need long arms or skinny shoulders to get this done (without drilling out lots of rivets to drop the frame for the tray).

With the drawer out, I also noticed large 1 1/2" gaps between the ends of the drawer frame and the fiberglass banana wraps on both sides of the frame. With a flashlight I could see the exposed open ends of the main box rails. Does anyone know if there are openings in these rails anywhere down the length of rig? If so, tomorrow I'm off to the hardware store to pick up lots of copper mesh to stuff into them.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
How did you close up the step slots while keeping it useable?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I often make my stays at any one place a month or more, so duct tape was the most easy way. It's not visible. Mice have not chewed through it. And I'll just rip it off and replace when I move. Takes about two minutes.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Boy, was I dumb.

Those openings in the cross-member.... they are to allow room for the ends of the tray mounted tracks, when the tray is closed. Those holes are a permanant mouse highway. To close them up you would have to cut off the protruding ends of the tracks, but then you could only open the tray less than 12 inches before it would be supported by only one roller and tip and bind. Or you would have to totally remodel the tray with some sort of custom extension slides, like for cabinets, but heavy duty and able to survive outside conditions. Airstream design strikes again. Looks like I'll be leaving the mouse traps baited. Urrghhhh!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Found Honda mouse track into the vehicle by way of the air scoop for fresh air. Solved by installing a wire barrier, 1/4 inch mesh over the opening, we do like outside air. Maybe the ss or copper pads could fill the space and keep them out and still give you a little air circulation.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Unfortunately, the large c-shaped channel slides into and out of this space each time you open and close the tray.