Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Thanks to JBinKC for his suggestion of using LineX. I had LineX coat my drawer last week and it looks fantastic. I don't expect I'll have any problems with drawer rust in the future. I don't know why I didn't think of this as a solution. My truck, a 2002 F250, was LineXd right after I bought it new and the bed still looks great.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Plastic bumper cover

For the last two evenings I have searched through the 81 threads in the Bumper & Bumper Storage section of Restoration threads and have not found an answer I am looking for. So I thought I would bump this thread since it is about a similar bumper.

My recently purchased 1999 Excella 34' has the bumper with storage drawer, similar to those in the posts/photos above. The top of the bumper has plastic covers. On mine the left side is broken and missing some pieces at the rivets. And, the center piece is cracked. The PO used black duct tape as a temporary repair. Has anyone attempted to repair or replace these plastic covers themselves.

I am also wandering if I can get new ones. I cannot even find a part number in the Airstream Parts Manual. Does anyone know if these covers are available?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Reviving this thread as my home coating done back 7 years ago or so is failing. I am wondering, for those who have had linex or rhino linings applied, how they have held up. Sent pics to my local linex shop for an estimate but I want to know about long term durability on galvanized.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Line-X

Rich: The Line-X job has held up beautifully for nine years. It looks like new, the current owner says. My truck bed, which was Line-X'ed at the same time looked like new when I sold it last summer. And Line-X has a lifetime guarantee. You can't go wrong with this lining for that storage compartment or for your truck. Best wishes, John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, I'm having trouble getting the Line-X dealer to commit to performing this coating. He want to do some research on prepping corroded galvanized. I am beginning to think he doesn't want to attempt it, so I am doing my research on acid washing, de-rusting, and coating with Zinc treatment and just painting it. I stripped the old paint off an here is what I am left with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk pan.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	334085

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Rich, You might be better off calling Airstream to try to get just the bottom pan. Sometimes they can make parts if they don't have them handy. It could be worth a try as it sounds like a lot of extra work trying to restore it. If you do get a new pan, make sure you coat it with T-9. I did that to mine after removing the rubber pad inside and it still looks like it did in 2010. I use the drawer for hoses, levelers, spare sewer hose.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Rich, You might be better off calling Airstream to try to get just the bottom pan. Sometimes they can make parts if they don't have them handy. It could be worth a try as it sounds like a lot of extra work trying to restore it. If you do get a new pan, make sure you coat it with T-9. I did that to mine after removing the rubber pad inside and it still looks like it did in 2010. I use the drawer for hoses, levelers, spare sewer hose.
Thanks. I'd bet that would be pricey, as it is now out of production. Its really not terribly bad. Looks worse than it is at this point. Still a lot of solid metal. Working some restoration methods I found online. Will update as I work it.