Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
What you guys are saying about coating the drawer makes sense, I may do that or, try the "lazyguy" way out, and get some T-9 too.
I have just put a coat of wax on the trailer and will probably take a day off to celebrate getting it done. I forgot how much work washing and waxing a trailer can be. Heck, it took a half a day just to get all warning stickers off the windows and parts of the frame and stove, side walls, door, etc,. Next, I'll go underneath to see if anything under there needs attention.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Lined bumper drawer

Friends: I had my drawer "Line-X'ed" because they really prepared the surface well by sanding, etching, priming and then coating it. I could not have done such a good job. While I had the drawer out, I greased the bearings on the drawer rollers and took a hard look inside the compartment. I was totally impressed with the quality of design and the workmanship that goes into building this compartment. Best wishes, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper drawer 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	109905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper drawer 5.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	109906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer 007.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	109907  

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
_

. , .
excellent report john...

do u mind sharing the approximate cost?

the pictures suggest a very well done final product.

did they drill/enlarge the drainage holes (can't see them in the pix) ?

did the drawer simply LIFT off the tracks

or did it require disassembly from the underside of the stream?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
2air,

See the welded on Patch along the side rail at the front edge of the drawer in the above picture? If you reach inside the drawer at that point you will find a 1/2 or 5/16" (I forget) bolt which just "sticks up" and catches the box frame to act as a stop. Pull out thos bols, on either side, and the drawer just rolls out on a garage door track and rollers.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am going to try Romap's idea of the 1/4" foam tape. This compartment will never be water tight, but anything to reduce water and debris will make cleanup easier. I also coated with truck bed "paint" (rustoleum brand). Has only been a few months, but so far, so good. If it peels or wears, I'll got the LineX route. I also ran a bead of sealer along the little "shelf", at the rear of the drawer. It is just welded in spots intermittently and water can run between the face of the drawer down into the floor. This reducd the amount of water a lot.
Going to take 2air's suggestion of enlarging the holes too. There are 4. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear corners. Drawer must be removed to get to the front ones.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am going to try Romap's idea of the 1/4" foam tape. This compartment will never be water tight, but anything to reduce water and debris will make cleanup easier. I also coated with truck bed "paint" (rustoleum brand). Has only been a few months, but so far, so good. If it peels or wears, I'll got the LineX route. I also ran a bead of sealer along the little "shelf", at the rear of the drawer. It is just welded in spots intermittently and water can run between the face of the drawer down into the floor. This reducd the amount of water a lot.
Going to take 2air's suggestion of enlarging the holes too. There are 4. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear corners. Drawer must be removed to get to the front ones.
For whatever it's worth, this morning, I took the drawer out, the PO had sprayed the interior with aluminum paint, then put in another piece of carpet.
Under the carpet, the floor of the drawer had begun to rust more than I want to see. My solution was to take my trusty angle grinder with a wire brush, and remove all rust. After that, I used a cold galvanizing primer (Krylon), inside and out.
Next step will be to coat the drawer inside and out with bedliner. I've had very good luck with these bedliner products in the past.
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Thanks to JBinKC for his suggestion of using LineX. I had LineX coat my drawer last week and it looks fantastic. I don't expect I'll have any problems with drawer rust in the future. I don't know why I didn't think of this as a solution. My truck, a 2002 F250, was LineXd right after I bought it new and the bed still looks great.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Plastic bumper cover

For the last two evenings I have searched through the 81 threads in the Bumper & Bumper Storage section of Restoration threads and have not found an answer I am looking for. So I thought I would bump this thread since it is about a similar bumper.

My recently purchased 1999 Excella 34' has the bumper with storage drawer, similar to those in the posts/photos above. The top of the bumper has plastic covers. On mine the left side is broken and missing some pieces at the rivets. And, the center piece is cracked. The PO used black duct tape as a temporary repair. Has anyone attempted to repair or replace these plastic covers themselves.

I am also wandering if I can get new ones. I cannot even find a part number in the Airstream Parts Manual. Does anyone know if these covers are available?