Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
Bumper & tongue refinish

Im getting ready to check this off my list. The bumper & tongue have several layers of caked on paint from the PO. Im planning on having it media blasted (with special care to blast only whats needed) down to bare metal then primed/paint or use the POR 15 products and put it back to a silver or gray color. I initially thought the door was painted to match the bumper but as it is really flaking away now it looks like it may have been a polished stainless steel. I had trouble posting pics previously will give it a shot here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper right rear 1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	231156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper right rear 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	231157  

bweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
If your intention is to paint the tongue and bumper, check out the Bronze spray paint at Lowe's. The Bronze paint I am speaking of is in the storm door aisle. It is the paint for storm door and windows. I used it and am very happy with the results of color and finish. I am not sure why the spray paint is not in the spray paint aisle but, I found it! good luck with your project. Let's see some pictures when done, OK?

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
Airdreamers,

Thanks for the response. Is the bronze paint you mention what you have on the tongue of yours in the profile pics? It looks gray/charcoal in color. I don't think I worded my question very well after going back and reading it. I'm wanting to know if the door on the bumper is stainless steel or painted to match the rest of the bumper.

Barry
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
If your bumper door is factory its aluminum. I striped mine and polished it.
Same with the bumper !
wzelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a 1999 Excella that I would like to repaint the bumper. It is a dark charcoal gray. The paint seem to be worn away and not peeling.

What kind of paint would work?

Thanks
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There's lots of information here about various sources of paints that are very close and available in spray can for small touch-up jobs. If you're going to do a complete do-over exact matching isn't that critical. Take a piece with the color needed and any good automotive paint supplier ( or if you have a friend with a body shop) should be able to mix you a matching small batch. Be sure and get it in single stage so you don't need to mess with clear coat. Good auto paint " Ain't cheap" but you'll be forever happy with the finish job.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Very helpful..thanks!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can't find my old thread of my redo, but I used (wish I could remember the type....epoxy?) automotive paint and I did clear coat as well. After sandblasting. I did the Hensley as well.

True, not cheap paint, but still looks shiny and fresh after 4 years. I do get an occasional stone chip, but touch up paint keeps the rust at bay.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
I finally got around to finishing this up. I will post pics as soon as I can get them loaded. I had the tongue & tail blasted down to bare metal, then primed, then painted the tongue/tail as well as the wraps all the same color.
Airdreamers, I did not find the paint you were referring too but I did find a color that I thought was appropriate. It was the Rustoleum Metallic "flat soft iron". We will see how it holds up to some abuse and elements. I paid a great deal of attention to my prep so I am hoping it will wear well. Beware , this paint is very frustrating to use. It took about 7 cans to do 3 coats, probably 4 of which wouldn't spray unless I held them upside down, which was frustrating at times trying to get the right angles in tight spots. To complete this project I need to replace the plastic piece the connects around the sewer attachment. It is kind of a filler piece between the pipe and the bumper. I lost this piece in the process of blasting and stripping the paint off the bumper. It was very brittle and just fell to pieces in the process. It looks like I would need to remove/unscrew the piece where the hose would attach to be able to install the filler piece. Any idea how this comes off? I'm thinking it may b glued on as it doesn't seem to want to turn.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
Sorry, this should say "filler piece between the sewer attachment and the frame". Its kinda hard to see in the pics. I'll try and get a better pic.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweldon View Post
Sorry, this should say "filler piece between the sewer attachment and the frame". Its kinda hard to see in the pics. I'll try and get a better pic.
The 'coupling' end you reference, the white one in the picture, should probably be glued on..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote