Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
1971 sovereign restore bumper questions

I recently acquired a picture perfect aluminum bumper for my 71 sovereign. I have the hinged plate that goes over it. I am getting ready to replace the C channel runs,and crossmembers in the rear...the old ones are gone...rusted away. My question is this....does the bumper mount directly to the C channel? what is the hinged cover plate for?...how far over the bumper does it extend,or does it go flush to the inner or outer point? I've been looking at photos here,and throughout the WWW...and I see the larger plate of the bumper goes on top.where do the springs mount? I do not have any springs,so that may be moot...might go with JBWeld and magnets.Any input is appreciated.
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
I recently acquired a picture perfect aluminum bumper for my 71 sovereign. I have the hinged plate that goes over it. I am getting ready to replace the C channel runs,and crossmembers in the rear...the old ones are gone...rusted away. My question is this....does the bumper mount directly to the C channel? what is the hinged cover plate for?...how far over the bumper does it extend,or does it go flush to the inner or outer point? I've been looking at photos here,and throughout the WWW...and I see the larger plate of the bumper goes on top.where do the springs mount? I do not have any springs,so that may be moot...might go with JBWeld and magnets.Any input is appreciated.
The bumper on a 1971 should be about the same as My 1976. Do you have 2 holes, 1 on each side of the bumper lip. If so on my 1976 these 2 holes line up with 2 tapped holes on the top end of the C section and the bumper is secured with screws, about a 1/4' round size to 1" long. The cover is for a sewer hose storage spot built between the 2 C sections and the spring clips were designed to hold the lid open while you were retrieving or storing the sewer hose. They were screwed or riveted on but have a tendency to break loose. You would have to fabricate the storage box from thing sheet aluminum. I don't have any pictures maybe someone else does.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
adonh;
TYVM...this helps,as I had no idea about the hinges. I do have the 2 mounting holes top and bottom that line up with the C channel. For now...the question remains about the placement of the hinged lid....flush with the outside of the bumper? That is where I intend to put it. In the meantime...there are 5 rivets on the top and bottom of the bumper...I'm going to simply drill them out,and fabricate either carbon steel,or aluminum brackets to add some mounting units. I will probably just go with 2 5/16 drive stainless sheet metal screws to hold it down.
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Las Vegas , Nevada
I just brought home my first AS, a 1975 31' Sovereign. It was a California trailer and has spent the last 10 years unused. The PO was deceased, so not much help with background. These pictures show the general condition if the rear bumper compartment and components - or lack there of. There does not appear to be wood rot and only surface rust. But there are vertical steel pieces in here that do not look OEM to me and the compartment is disassembled and belly pan panel loose and hanging. . Any pictures of what this should look like would be greatly appreciated. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389875592.480379.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  80.4 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389875612.717107.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	203715Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389875627.536344.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	203716