Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Cash stash! No, not cash, something else.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Metuchen , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Flux Capacitor
I believe they were only available on the limited edition stainless steel model.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
Flux capacitor!! Love it!

Okay, I interrupted my morning reading to go out and take off some screws (thanks, Shari, for the boost of confidence!)

Some of the screw are rusted, and I have put WD-40 on them, hoping they loosen up. However, I was able to get the screws off one of the long sides, and pull the top away from the belly pan about an inch. I inserted my cell phone, and took photos. The bottom of the pan is empty, but there is something hung in there. It looks like it's cast iron and has a white stamp on it.
I'm wondering if it's some sort of plate to anchor the chair that would have been sort of above it in the living room? However, now that I know there MAY have been a safe, and if it IS a safe, you all know where it IS--so I may have to throw all of you into my flux capacitator--or flash you with my MIB issued neuralyzer!

I may have to wait until DH gets home so he can finish my job. Whatever I break, he's going to have to fix, so I'd rather not break it! Ha ha!

Thanks for the great ideas, and the laughs!
Terry
Old 10-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Was there a recliner there maybe? When you husband did the floors, he would have seen the holes for the through-bolts? The enclosure seems much larger than needed for the metal base and some bolts IMO. Can you remove the entire thing and get us some new photos?

Thanks for the continuing mystery!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
More mystery pics!

Okay, I got 10 of the 16 screws out, but the other six are rusted and/or stripped (Yes, I used WD-40). I was not able to take the cover off, but was able to push up the belly pan and pull down the edge of the mystery box to make a 1" opening where I was able to take a few pics.
DH is home now, and he will take it apart next week. In the meantime, what do you all think?
The 'black box' is probably 12" x 30"?
It looks like some sort of tank to me.
The stamped number appears to be 288 720?
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	273785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	273786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	273787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	273788  

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . you're killin me. . . Cb
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Tank for blinker fluid?
The plot thickens.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I wonder if it could possibly be a transfer pump or bilge pump of some kind, for moving grey water to the black tank. Any mystery switches inside the trailer?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfleg View Post
. . .
DH is home now, and he will take it apart next week. In the meantime, what do you all think?
. . .
And your husband does not recall any evidence of this from above, when he re-did the floors?

Can you tell if the black box is steel, or maybe cast iron? Could it still be a floor grate for wiping stones etc. off of shoes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECTANGULAR-...-/401183943851

Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
No, Steve does not recall anything being on the floor when he removed the carpet and put in laminate flooring. The wood subfloor was intact. On the other hand, he wasn't looking for a big rectangle in the floor, either.

Peter, that floor grate on eBay DOES look similar. It is situated in the middle of the living room floor, starting about two feet from the door, and going across underneath the side gaucho. It would be in the center of the living room.

It looked like cast iron to me, but I didn't think to take a tool of some sort and tap it--believe me, I needed about 4 hands to just hold it open so I could take photos-my neck is sore today from pushing up the belly pan with my head! Ha ha!
Anyway, I put the screws back in, not knowing when we'd get back to it. (Yes, men, hubby also groaned and told me I should have left them off!) I didn't want to invite any mice!

I'm sorry for causing all this suspense, RamblinManGa! I just thought someone would go, "Oh yah, that's the schmickerbobadoodle, and this is what it does."

We are going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hence Dear Hubby's inability to get at it sooner!

I'll let you all know more when I find out. In the meantime, if anyone has a Service Manual, maybe there is something in there? There is NOTHING about it in my owner's manual, or in any diagrams, etc.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I wonder if it could possibly be a transfer pump or bilge pump of some kind, for moving grey water to the black tank. Any mystery switches inside the trailer?
Hmm, that's a thought, even though the grey and black tanks are way in the back of the camper (back bathroom). No mystery switches that I have seen, and I've been all over the trailer, inside and out. I'll keep looking, though.
Terry
Old 10-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Did this unit have the old (pneumatic) disc brake system? Could this be a resevoir for that braking system? The lower left photo makes it look like a cylindrical object. I can't remember the mechanics, or operating principles, of that system......

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Rich, were those old braking systems activated by a vacuum from the tow vehicle's intake manifold (vs. electric signal)? I seem to recall a thread here about some kind of reservoir in the front of a trailer, for either the vacuum and/or the hydraulic fluid. Unlikely this reservoir would be under the living room floor IMO.

I vote for some DIY or custom creation of the thingamabob variety.

Not sure if we can wait until next week for further "evidence" but have a good trip!

Peter

PS -- edit -- however, I did just look at the photos again, and think that the protrusion from the black shape does look very much like a threaded male drain plug for a plumbing/hydraulic system. It has the square four-sided look of old cast iron/steel plugs.

A reservoir for the missing hydraulic barber's chair?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Rich, were those old braking systems activated by a vacuum from the tow vehicle's intake manifold (vs. electric signal)? I seem to recall a thread here about some kind of reservoir in the front of a trailer, for either the vacuum and/or the hydraulic fluid. Unlikely this reservoir would be under the living room floor IMO.
I can't recall, and have never had my hands on one. I know they occupied a lot of tongue space....but many have long been converted to more modern systems. I suspect it is a vacuum tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote