Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2002 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Byhalia , Mississippi
Water draining from the belly pan

I did the first adjustment of my brakes today, just like the book said (maybe a little late but at least I did it) After jacking the street side up, I hear the unmistakable sound of water dripping. Look around and I have several strong drips from the pan on the curb side. I let it empty itself then turned on the water pump, no immediate cycling and no drips. Fill up the shower/tub, pull the plug, no drips. I still need to check the drainage on the kitchen and bath sinks to rule them out.

The trailer has not been pulled in the rain but did get rained on several times before I could rent a covered storage unit. Been about 3 weeks since it was last rained on. Have not seen any sign of water inside.

Still under warranty but I would like to have an idea of where the leak is or what the problem is before I take it to the dealer (125 miles away). If it is simple, I will fix it myself. Short of spraying water on sections of the trailer and testing the remaining drains, are there other things I can do to zero in on the problem?

Thanks

Greg

Old 08-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Perhaps our experience might help. A few months after purchase and after use in rain, we noticed similar drainage from the belly pan of our 2002 19' Bambi. We had absolutely no signs of leaks in tanks or anywhere else. Since the belly pan has a few ripples in it, I drilled some small drain holes in the lowest parts of the pan. Water poured out of them. There has been no similar collection of water since and the only leak in the trailer we have ever had came from a cracked air conditioner cover.

Apparently, since the belly pan is not intended to be watertight, the water penetrated along the belly pan seams either while standing or while driving and accumulated in those low spots in the pan. Being thoroughly closed in, the water did not quickly evaporate. We have since assumed that the few small drain holes let any entering water drain right back out, so we no longer have the accumulations.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Hello,

I do know know about the newer trailers... but the older ones had quite a bit of insulation above the bellypan. It is similar to the fluffy fiberglass (typical) home insulation. When it gets wet it becomes saturated.... like a diaper. (That's what my husband calls the area, Airstream diapers....) it can sit in there for lengthy periods of time because of slow (or no) evaporation. Might cause big trouble! Mold on the underneath side of the floor, eventually leading to wood rot.

My suggestion if it is under warranty, have it fixed and don't let the dealer get by with making half hearted attempts!

I would find out what kind of insulation is under there!

Good luck!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)