Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
wow - what a great post - think I understand it all now......

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
WOW. Thank you for the info. We are getting ready to buy the stuff. If I line the middle "bed room" in copper, will that react to the aluminum?? Especially if I get really thin copper and apply it directly to the alum. walls and ceiling? Also I am looking for powder coated aluminum panels in an almond color. I know they were available years ago in the dallas area. But no more. Any ideas? silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think I would apply copper directly to aluminum, especially in the salt air environment you are going to. The copper will look good, the aluminum underneath will corrode. I would probably be ok if you painted the aluminum. I don't think it will cause a failure, but the aluminum will decay into a powdery material that MAY compromise the bond between the aluminum and copper.
Doesn't matter how thin the copper is. Even copper foil will cause a galvanic corrosion couple.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Thanks for the head's up. I wont do copper. I'm so sick now I dont think I could tolerate paint. The powder coated aluminum panels seem to be okay to others like me. But the only source I know is in New Hampshire.
It's crazy ,but I don't think I would be comfortable with the bed room being all aluminum. Bath ok, living area ok, but not the beds .Weird, I know. thanks again, suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Question Where to get 60.5" wide aluminum?

I took a look at the Airparts and Aircraft Spruce web sites. It looked to me like 48" wide was the widest that they sell. My 1973 belly pan is 60.5" wide. Does anyone know where to get aluminum that wide? Or are people replaceing with two strips?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Need help in understanding this complex bit of info. We will be replacing/repairing a section of our underbelly after a Thetford valve replacement. I have called an Airplane rebuilder who indicated they carry the 6160 you talk about above, but thickness is more around the .040 area. They said the .025 would be "very thin". If .040 is all I can find, should I go w/that, or ???

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think it depends on how the section is shaped. If it includes any bends it may be too thick to shape without heating. If it's a flat panel there won't be any problem. This material work hardens quickly and may crack if you try to bend it too often ot too much.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Aluminum

Take apiece of what you cut off to some one that sells aluminum and ask them what thickness it is. I think .040 will be too thick and hard to work with, but not impossible. It will also cost more. .025 is in plentiful supply just do a search for it. Aircraft Spruce and Spec has it. It is thin, but all is does is cover up the bottom of the trailer.
jperryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #29
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I was hoping to get it locally rather than have to wait while it is shipped (and pay freight). Guess I can still try some other local aluminum companies. I did check w/one other while waiting for replies here and they indicated they sold 40 thousands and 60 thousands (I'm assuming that would be .040 and .060) in sheets, all else was scrap and not sure about .025 thickness on hand. I was mostly worried about weight (what's a couple of thousands, right??!!), but cost and bendability could be definites to factor.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 06-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #30
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Clarafication

Yahoo! - I found a local supplier here in Denver area to sell me either the 5052 or the 6061 T6. The 5052 in an 4x8 .032 sheet will run about $30. The 6061 in same about $5. more. Now I just need to make sure I am clear on which to use. Can you tell me (I know there was much technical detailing above) in a few words, which one would you use to repair the area over plumbing in bellypan? Thanks,

Old 06-30-2004, 07:37 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

I think 5052 would be fine. I say this after looking at the Aircraft Spruce and Specialty catalog. They have a couple of educational pages on aluminum. It says it has good resistance to corrosion and good workability. My 2c.
jperryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd use the 5052. The main reason is it's (slightly) cheaper. I don't think the technical differences in this application are worth 2 cents.