Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Terre Haute , Indiana
Tire blow out took out rocker panel behind tire, need advice / suggestions

Hello everyone! I'm new to the Air Forums, but not new to internet forums or auto repair.

My wife and I picked up our new to us 1976 AS Sovereign yesterday. This was the end of a LONG journey to find exactly the right one for us. It was a real beauty! Practically unmolested, and the exterior was as perfect as we've been able to find....... until about 30 minutes left in our 4 hour trip.

We had a complete tread separation / blowout on the curb side rear tire. I had inspected the tires before the trip. Tread was beautiful and tire pressure was good, but only God knows how old the tires are. (I'll find that out later today).

Anyway, the aftermath includes a bent moulding around the wheel well, a crumpled steel piece directly behind the tire, the aluminum skin that wraps from the blue moulding under to the belly pan is bent up and ripped, and at least one outrigger will need repaired or replaced. Luckily it looks like the banana wrap at the corner was spared.

I've got lots of experience in auto repairs over the years, and have a pretty good handle on body work. I can weld in new outriggers and get everything back where it needs to be, and that doesn't scare me. Surely this isn't a new issue, so what I'm really interested in is a 'how to', a video, or something that will lay out what needs to be done to install the skin, and how it should be finished off.

I've also got a bit of reading to do on tires, because I think 4 new ones are in my future

Thanks everyone, and I'm very happy to be part of this big family now!

-Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423_175041.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	284014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423_175109.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	284015  

ClayDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
You were very lucky, as the damage could have been a lot worse. I would check the complete axle units to see if replacement is needed. Go to the Inland RV website and you will find how to check the axles. New tires are a must for the unit, as well as bearing repack and brake check. It looks like a real nice rig and well worth spending the money on. Good luck with the repairs, and if you need advice, this is the place to find it.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Just wanted to mention, I think that jack you've got down in those pictures is just a stabilizer jack, for use when you are parked at a campsite to minimize movement as you move about the AS. If that is what they are, they should not be used to jack up the trailer.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Just wanted to mention, I think that jack you've got down in those pictures is just a stabilizer jack, for use when you are parked at a campsite to minimize movement as you move about the AS. If that is what they are, they should not be used to jack up the trailer.
Absolutely!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Terre Haute , Indiana
Good eyes! I wondered if anyone would say anything about that.

I used a tire-aid ramp to change the tire. I was on the side of the I-70 with traffic blowing by (literally) at 70+ MPH and it was rocking the AS. Once I had it on the tire-aid ramp, I put the stabilizers down just enough to help stabilize it while the tire was changed. I didn't use them to lift anything.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Looks like what happened to me but mine was worse, got the fender well and closet floor. Anyway hopefully you can straighten the molding. If the wrap material is painted gray, they sell it by the foot. I took mine and laid it in some carpet, put a piece of pvc pipe and rolled it until I got the shape to match. Even if it is bare aluminum you should be able to get it.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Had this happen to us on a 25 ft and a 28 ft - and again, those tires were inspected by a very knowledgeable tire person and were less than 2 years old. The 25' cost app $1,600. to fix; the 28' cost over $3,000. We have a certified Airstream repair place close by. Also were insured - as I pray you were. I would suggest to anybody buying a trailer, take 4 brand new - specific to trailer use, and there is a difference I have learned - when you go to pick up your "prize". Saves a lot of heart ache and bunches of dollars. Best wishes.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Betty - I know there is a significant amount of discussion on the forum about tires. I have a 2017 factory fresh 28' Serenity with 15" GYM tires. I've been seriously thinking about moving to 16 inch rims and Michelin tires. But every time I think I know what tires to buy (LTs) I hear that I should only be using tires specifically intended for trailer use. I remain slightly confused.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well, you got the "first blowout" out of the way quickly! It's kind of a right of passage ...some folks are lucky and get away with minimal damage. And others ... well, not so much. You are somewhere in the middle.

We were lucky when we had ours (street side, single axle). We had no skin damage, I suppose because we got stopped pretty darn quick with the rim on the road, so what was left of the tire didn't get slapped up to the skin. Looks like you avoided that as well, which is good. We tore up the wheel well, though, and knocked the sewer outlets good (but didn't destroy). It was about $3000 to fix if memory serves. Hope you had time to get insurance before you took it on the road home... Insurance should should pay for what you can'd do yourself (or don't want to do).

Good luck and welcome to the Airforums!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The aluminum rocker panel is not to tough to replace.
You will need to source the appropriate aluminum (grade, thickness).
- pop rivet gun, 1/8" pop rivets (5/32" pop rivets if a hole has been enlarged too much)
- 1/8 drill bits
- sikaflex and acryl-r caulking
- automotive paint
- clecos are very helpful to hold aluminum sheet in place before riveting or use screws for temporary fastener
You will need to remove the belt line trim, old aluminum and probably the wheel well trim. The aluminum can be bent to the shape needed and riveted in place.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
1999 30' Excella 1000
nederland , Texas
I agree with everything crispyboy said. Sounds like you have the outrigger problem solved with your auto experience. The outriggers can be ordered from Inland RV. You can get sheet aluminum for the bad panel from airparts. I believe you will need the allclad for the repair. I replaced some panels in the same area on my 79' Sovereign and it was pretty easy. The new aluminum was easy to shape. I ordered my rolled sheet from http://www.airpartsinc.com/28_Aircra...t_and_Coil.htm

Good luck.
sdavis2616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Terre Haute , Indiana
what gauge? I think I've read that this should be 0.040?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Terre Haute , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The aluminum rocker panel is not to tough to replace.
You will need to source the appropriate aluminum (grade, thickness).
- pop rivet gun, 1/8" pop rivets (5/32" pop rivets if a hole has been enlarged too much)
- 1/8 drill bits
- sikaflex and acryl-r caulking
- automotive paint
- clecos are very helpful to hold aluminum sheet in place before riveting or use screws for temporary fastener
You will need to remove the belt line trim, old aluminum and probably the wheel well trim. The aluminum can be bent to the shape needed and riveted in place.
Great stuff! thanks!!

So quick question, you say paint, which isn't an issue as I've painted plenty of cars/parts over the years, but when you said paint are you saying the aluminum / alclad is painted on the rockers? (sorry, my AS ignorance is showing!!!!!!)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
For what I don't know, I try hard to find someone, experienced, whom I do know. We, for years, used Pro-Tire of Denton, TX for all of our equipment. They do everything from small vehicles to the heavy duty equipment and know exactly what to order for each piece of equipment. Though I would like to, I am not recommending you drive to Texas for their service, I am suggesting you find someone - equal to them - in your area who knows their tires - not a local franchise. You will have to get into the industrial area of wherever you are located to find those folks or find a local heavy duty truck driver. Ask him where he buys his tires. The brand is not as important as using the designated trailer tire. Good luck.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Here are two documents for reference.
I used a single stage paint for the lower portion of a trailer after wet sanding.

History of Aluminum at Airstream.pdf

paint codes.pdf
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Terre Haute , Indiana
Excellent! thank you!!

Also, for those following along, today I checked the date codes on the tires. 3 of the tires were Goodyear Marathons, this includes the one that had the blowout. These three tires all had 3 number date codes which puts them at pre-2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 4th tire is from 2012.

This is a definite lesson for me. I should have checked this before I left so I could have put new tires on it right then.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #17
Skippyette

2016 30' Classic
Dewey , Illinois
I would take it to P and S Trailer Service in Helena, OH. Prices are reasonable, TAT is great and they work with insurance. Family owned and Airstream authorized repair and customization. They just replaced my lower skin and rocker panel. Looks showroom amazing! They also specialize in vintage AS.
labellafiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Original post was four years ago, and CLAYDC was last active two years ago. Hopefully that was his last trouble.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote