Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I used the rigid foam board insulation under my subfloor also. I used 4" on the 86 Limited, and just 2" on the 66 Trade Wind. It is held in place with tape, supports and the belly pan itself. I like the foam board as it is very resistant to moisture, and God knows there is moisture in the belly of our old Airstreams. I lowered the nose of my 86 to hitch up today. You should have seen the water run out of my belly pan drain holes in front. Maybe a gallon? I believe an Airstream needs drain holes in the belly pan.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405 Insulation Bath.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	245419  

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I don't know Prodex.
I do know Reflectix - great product.
Controversial to many, if I need to gut mine, the new insulation will be a spray foam sandwiched in Reflectix.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the good news! Foam to maintain the gap sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking about 45 mil rubber between ribs and interior skin as a way to keep heat from transmitting from exterior shell to interior cabin.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
I used Prodex on the interior of my '72 Trade Wind. I am very happy with it so far. It significantly decreases the amount of heat transfer to the interior skin/walls. I think the issue with Prodex or any 'bubble type' insulation delaminating, is when it is exposed to direct sunlight. It is meant to be installed with a 1 inch air gap. I achieved this by cutting 1 inch strips of 1 inch thick foam board insulation and attaching them to the interior shell surface with Vulkem-type adhesive caulk. I then installed 1 - 2 layers of Prodex on top of the spacers and sealed it to the aluminum ribs with aluminum tape. I finished my insulation job last year....installed new 12v and 120v wiring and recently completed reinstalling all of the interior aluminum panels/walls. I am happy with it so far. I don't believe inside the protected space of the walls...with the 1 inch airspace...that delamination will be an issue anytime in the near future.

As for the belly.... I glued and screwed sheets of foil wrapped 1 inch thick foam board to the underside of the floor. Solid foam board will not retain water. My belly pan remains unfinished...so the insulation has been open to 2 Minnesota winters (hopefully it will be finished before another winter). It remains unaffected and by any weather exposure.
Boy this sounds just like my project just about word for word . Happy with the Prodex, trailer stays much cooler in the sun. Same on foam under floor, 2" thick open for 2 winters, keeps floor noticeably warmer when it's gotten cold outside. Getting ready to seal belly soon. Looking forward to being done before winter.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I sold the '86 Sovereign, whose belly pan I was terrified of, a couple of years ago. I have used Prodex insulation on the entire interior and belly pan of my 1964 Bambi II when I rebuilt it. I am very satisfied with it. The trailer does get hot in direct sun in the summer, but easily cools and heats nicely in the cold months. It is different from the Reflectix that is sold at Menards. It doesn't have "pop" plastic bubbles. It's more dense than the Reflectix.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I sold the '86 Sovereign, whose belly pan I was terrified of, a couple of years ago. I have used Prodex insulation on the entire interior and belly pan of my 1964 Bambi II when I rebuilt it. I am very satisfied with it. The trailer does get hot in direct sun in the summer, but easily cools and heats nicely in the cold months. It is different from the Reflectix that is sold at Menards. It doesn't have "pop" plastic bubbles. It's more dense than the Reflectix.
I agree that Reflectix and Prodex are completely different products. The question is whether the plastic bubbles in Reflectix will degrade with the extreme heat that builds up inside the outer aluminum shell...thereby causing the insulative properties to be lost relatively soon. Prodex is a closed cell product and does not have the same bubble type construction. I do not believe it will pop like bubble wrap (Reflectix).
Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
1975 Argosy 22
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Camrose , Alberta
prodex/reflectix was banned in Alberta for insulation on new home construction as it was found to have no r-value and is considered vapor barrier only. we had a few rolls left over so we covered the inside panels of the garage door to stop drafts between panels. works great for that. What would Canadians know about insulating from cold though?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Terrified of the bellypan!

I did a combo of reflectix against the exterior wall and then 1.5 in of fresh fiberglass. Say what you want about fiberglass but it has good r-value, dampens sound, cheap, and easy to install. I can't have every airstream project take eons, too much to do already

Underfloor I did 2 in of closed cell blue board held in with large fender washers and deck screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind