Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Since no one gave me any advise, I just went with two layers of Prodex insulation. I have the front section insulated & am waiting for my son to weld on the new outriggers as well as waiting for the weather to get above 50 degrees so I can POR-15 the rear frame. I have to go back to work pretty soon & need to get this baby done!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp getting ready to insulate.bmp (900.1 KB, 331 views)
File Type: bmp insulating 2.bmp (900.1 KB, 300 views)
File Type: bmp insulation 1.bmp (900.1 KB, 336 views)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks good Becky!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, the weather finally broke & it's raining now. I've been rolling around in mud, but with a tarp on top, so it feels kinda weird. I'm not sure if this thing will ever be finished! Today I finished insulating the center section. My staples weren't long enough to go through everything, so I used those kind of nails with the plastic rings on them (they use them for plastic roofs). I finished Por-15 ing everything last week. WHAT A JOB!!! I discovered I have more leaks when the snow melted. Now I have to find them before I begin installing the banana wrap. But, I'm way ahead of myself. First I have to put the belly pan back on. My son welded on new outriggers for me!!!! Yeah! I have my plumbing torn apart too. Figured I'd cut a hole in there while I had everything up in the air. Had a slow leak in the black tank, so that's another project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear insulation.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	98036   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear insulation 2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	98037  

Name:	outriggers repaired & Por-15'd.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	98038  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #84
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Thumbs up NIce work

Just read this whole thread and WOW you are amazing.

keep up the pic's, and the tread going
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, here's some more progress. A picture of my beautiful outriggers--all Por-15'd & fixed. The picture came up last...

Next is the finished belly pan!!!! I hated the entire thing!! I hope I never have to do that ever again!!

Then, I had to start putting up my new banana wrap. I have one side about finished now. I have grunted more than I ever have in my life. I've spent more time on my back through this project than I ever have in my life (I'm not going to get dirty here!). I still have the street side to finish. Then I have to Vulkem everything below. At least it's coming along. I have to finish by June so I can camp! I'm glad I started this project last fall or I never would have finished in time to camp. I think this has been a much bigger job than polishing! And my polish job needs a touch up too! Oh, it will never end! But that's the beauty of an Airstream, right!?

Sorry, I don't know how to put the picture with the commentary in between....much too computer literate for me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	belly pan finished!.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	99553   Click image for larger version

Name:	banana wrap 3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	99558  

Name:	banana wrap 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	99559   Click image for larger version

Name:	banana wrap 1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	99560  

Name:	banana wrap 4.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	99561   Click image for larger version

Name:	outriggers repaired & Por-15'd 2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	99562  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Any leftover ProDex makes great sunscreens for the sunny side of trailer - and tow vehicle; cut generously for a good 'press' fit and it wears like iron. I've used it at -25° and 115°F and everywhere inbetween.

On seams (on the aluminum going back up ) it is recommended to have the top overlapping sheet laid on the forward side to keep water shedding at highway speeds (no hood scoop effect) & the only place to use vulkem it at the interface of the shell sides to keep water sheeting off without being captured in any seam gaps and directed into the pans (the logic being if one seals the belly pans too well any errant water will not be able to exit the trailer) ....

On the pneumatic nibbler - I have one and they are great but doing free-hand work is difficult, having a guide board clamped over the work piece makes it much easier to do smooth lines.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Any leftover ProDex makes great sunscreens for the sunny side of trailer - and tow vehicle; cut generously for a good 'press' fit and it wears like iron. I've used it at -25° and 115°F and everywhere inbetween.

On seams (on the aluminum going back up ) it is recommended to have the top overlapping sheet laid on the forward side to keep water shedding at highway speeds (no hood scoop effect) & the only place to use vulkem it at the interface of the shell sides to keep water sheeting off without being captured in any seam gaps and directed into the pans (the logic being if one seals the belly pans too well any errant water will not be able to exit the trailer) ....

On the pneumatic nibbler - I have one and they are great but doing free-hand work is difficult, having a guide board clamped over the work piece makes it much easier to do smooth lines.
I read a lot about overlapping the sheet that exists on the trailer over the banana wrap. The reason I didn't do it that way is because there were numerous bucket rivets at the bottom of the body's aluminum. I put it back on as it originally was installed. I used lots of Vulkem over the top seam & rubbed it down the crack of the seam. I also used Vulkem over the top where the new rivets would penetrate (the ones from the re-installed belt line). When I first put the sheet on, I used a tube of Parbond and squirted it into the hole before installing the rivet. I will put a bead of Vulkem on the top of the belt line as well as putting a blob of it over each of the rivets that are showing in the belt line. I've invested in the Vulkem company!! If there weren't bucked rivets, I would have gone under. It just seemed too tuff for me to remove all of those bucked rivets.

As far as the pneumatic nibbler, I really didn't find it hard to control. It's a million times easier than using a snips, that I know for sure!

If anyone is doing a job like this, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a good pneumatic rivet gun. My kids gave me one for Christmas & it's great for my arthritic hands! It's as easy as sqeezing a small balloon!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
You've done smashingly well, it was not my intention to suggest disrupting the shell panels to force them to over-lap the wraps - what I should have said (for posterity & future readers at his point?) was 'start from the back and move forward to install the pan and wrap sheets to keep the lap joints passively shedding water'.

The nibbler is a lot of fun but when it comes to something forever visible having a guide sure eliminates a lot of stress! Here is a shot after cleaning up the edges of the shell to patch over the old battery locker, if you look closely here is where I learned that the nibbler cutter is not perfectly centered so it drifted from true and even bound up against the guide when I didn't turn the tool enough to keep it exactly aligned with the cut soooo one line drifts just enough to be visibly off..... (also noted for future readers?)

Plus: a shot of one of my homemade outriggers, with a patch of POR-15 that peeled from the heat of the weld...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cleco2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	99581  
Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
You've done smashingly well, it was not my intention to suggest disrupting the shell panels to force them to over-lap the wraps - what I should have said (for posterity & future readers at his point?) was 'start from the back and move forward to install the pan and wrap sheets to keep the lap joints passively shedding water'.

The nibbler is a lot of fun but when it comes to something forever visible having a guide sure eliminates a lot of stress! Here is a shot after cleaning up the edges of the shell to patch over the old battery locker, if you look closely here is where I learned that the nibbler cutter is not perfectly centered so it drifted from true and even bound up against the guide when I didn't turn the tool enough to keep it exactly aligned with the cut soooo one line drifts just enough to be visibly off..... (also noted for future readers?)

Plus: a shot of one of my homemade outriggers, with a patch of POR-15 that peeled from the heat of the weld...
I absolutely would use a pattern for a nibbler if I had something visible like a battery locker! All of my cuts will be well hidden by either the belt line or the be under the trailer!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I finally can say that I'm no longer terrified of the belly pan. I have completed the task, including making new banana wrap, putting in new dump valves, and my DH made me a really nice spare tire carrier so I don't have to tote it in my vehicle anymore. The only thing I have left to do is Vulkem the lower rubrail and polish the trailer up for the summer. So, my friends, I'm finished with my trusty tarp that I've laid on for the last 5 months, weather permitting, and hope to never lay on one again! I hope all of you ladies are encouraged by this thread that you really can do what you set your mind to do!

1st pix is completed front belly pan with tire carrier & stabilizers installed
2nd & 3rd are new dump valves with valterra fittings on the end
4th close up of the nice tire carrier
5th & 6th streetside banana wrap completed
And lastly, my naughty pup Sheabea, who kept me company the whole time I was under the trailer & stole every tool she could get her mouth on!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	belly pan completed with tire carrier & stabilizers installed.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	100710   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished dump valves.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	100711  

Name:	valterra fitting on end of new plumbing.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	100712   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire carrier.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	100713  

Name:	streeetside banana wrap complete.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	100714   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside banana wrap complete 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	100715  

Name:	shebea the tool thief.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	100716  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #91
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Amazing.. Great job Becky.

I have been following this thread for along time and thought you might be crazy for attempting it.. but have no fear you pulled it off! Its not something I ever want to do...

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Amazing.. Great job Becky.

I have been following this thread for along time and thought you might be crazy for attempting it.. but have no fear you pulled it off! Its not something I ever want to do...

Vin
I might be crazy AFTER attempting it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #93
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Woodland Park , Colorado
We are tearing our Airstream apart, and I have to say, you are amazing! My husband has done a lot of the heavy work, and I'm not sure I could have done it alone. We've had our '72 Sovereign for about ten years, and did a bit of cosmetic work on it before, but we decided to tear it out mainly because it stinks. Much to our surprise, it was not only a mouse town, but seemed to be a mouse metropolis! It was totally disgusting. I pulled down the interior ceiling, and about five pounds of dried dog food, mouse poop, sunflower seeds, you name it, came down in a waterfall, thankfully not directly onto my head! I, too, have become increasingly obsessed with this, and I don't understand why! All day cleaning stuff, taking out rivets, making room for yet more stuff from the trailer; all night researching. I have the summer off, and this is my life now! Thanks for your posts and pictures, it's really encouraging!

Cathy
catfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I just read this whole thread - I'm afraid that I'm in for the same thing.....thanks for documenting it - I'll be referring to it frequently~

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
I just read this whole thread - I'm afraid that I'm in for the same thing.....thanks for documenting it - I'll be referring to it frequently~
No problem! You can do it....it's just a bit daunting at first!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #96
GlamperGirl

Great detail in here- Belly pan and insulation pictures are so helpful! Thanks Becky for emailing me!
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Getting mentally prepared to create a new bellypan, so going through as many threads as I can to see whatvI'm in for. Our 72 Tradewind is also gutted to the skin on the inside, so Ive been excavating insulation threads. There's quite a bit of Prodex talk in this thread, so I'll ask those who are using it if they are happy with it. From what I've been able to find in research, the R value has been GREATLY exagerated, and the product is prone to separation after only a couple of years (the foil separates from the "bubble wrap"). What say ye, good people?
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I used Prodex on the interior of my '72 Trade Wind. I am very happy with it so far. It significantly decreases the amount of heat transfer to the interior skin/walls. I think the issue with Prodex or any 'bubble type' insulation delaminating, is when it is exposed to direct sunlight. It is meant to be installed with a 1 inch air gap. I achieved this by cutting 1 inch strips of 1 inch thick foam board insulation and attaching them to the interior shell surface with Vulkem-type adhesive caulk. I then installed 1 - 2 layers of Prodex on top of the spacers and sealed it to the aluminum ribs with aluminum tape. I finished my insulation job last year....installed new 12v and 120v wiring and recently completed reinstalling all of the interior aluminum panels/walls. I am happy with it so far. I don't believe inside the protected space of the walls...with the 1 inch airspace...that delamination will be an issue anytime in the near future.

As for the belly.... I glued and screwed sheets of foil wrapped 1 inch thick foam board to the underside of the floor. Solid foam board will not retain water. My belly pan remains unfinished...so the insulation has been open to 2 Minnesota winters (hopefully it will be finished before another winter). It remains unaffected and by any weather exposure.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I used the rigid foam board insulation under my subfloor also. I used 4" on the 86 Limited, and just 2" on the 66 Trade Wind. It is held in place with tape, supports and the belly pan itself. I like the foam board as it is very resistant to moisture, and God knows there is moisture in the belly of our old Airstreams. I lowered the nose of my 86 to hitch up today. You should have seen the water run out of my belly pan drain holes in front. Maybe a gallon? I believe an Airstream needs drain holes in the belly pan.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405 Insulation Bath.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	245419  
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I don't know Prodex.
I do know Reflectix - great product.
Controversial to many, if I need to gut mine, the new insulation will be a spray foam sandwiched in Reflectix.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote