Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior
 
Mr.Sovereign's Avatar
 
2000 34' Excella
1987 29' Sovereign
Pace , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
Images: 32
Spare Tire Carrier

I need some advice!

I have a 1987 29ft Sovereign. There is no place to carry a spare tire other than roll it up into the trailer for travel (with the 4 bikes). I'm certainly not going the route of a rearmount on any of the above.

I'm quite certain Airstream had more foresight than this. Can someone tell me what my options are? (I'm fairly adventurous if I understand what I'm getting into). My preference is something under the belly of the AS, but whatever I do, I don't want to (a) compromize the integrity of the frame or (b) introduce unnecessary water/cotamination in the bottom compartments of my AS.

Any pics or other mods out there?

Best regards,
WWW
__________________

__________________
________________________
W. Warren Whitfield
Pace, Florida (near Pensacola)
2000 Excella 34'
2003 Suburban 1500 tow vehicle
Mr.Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
I need some advice!

I have a 1987 29ft Sovereign. There is no place to carry a spare tire other than roll it up into the trailer for travel (with the 4 bikes). I'm certainly not going the route of a rearmount on any of the above.

I'm quite certain Airstream had more foresight than this. Can someone tell me what my options are? (I'm fairly adventurous if I understand what I'm getting into). My preference is something under the belly of the AS, but whatever I do, I don't want to (a) compromize the integrity of the frame or (b) introduce unnecessary water/cotamination in the bottom compartments of my AS.

Any pics or other mods out there?

Best regards,
WWW
WWW,

Here is a picture of the Airstream spare tire mount. It is under the front of the trailer, between the frame rails. I believe that one is available from Inland.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spart tire mount.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	77992  
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
I mounted a C channel across the tongue frame against the front of the coach. Through that I bolted an all-thread bolt with a T saddle for the spare to rest (wheel) on and just pull the spare uo against the bottom of the frame. This places the spare half under the coach and half under the propane tanks.
Neil
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
I need some advice!

I have a 1987 29ft Sovereign. There is no place to carry a spare tire other than roll it up into the trailer for travel (with the 4 bikes). I'm certainly not going the route of a rearmount on any of the above.

I'm quite certain Airstream had more foresight than this. Can someone tell me what my options are? (I'm fairly adventurous if I understand what I'm getting into). My preference is something under the belly of the AS, but whatever I do, I don't want to (a) compromize the integrity of the frame or (b) introduce unnecessary water/cotamination in the bottom compartments of my AS.

Any pics or other mods out there?

Best regards,
WWW
We have the Airstream spare carrier, that keeps the spare underneath the front of the trailer.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Mr Sovereign,

You have a couple of choices...You can run without one (slightly risky on a dual axle trailer, suicide on a single) Throw it in the back of the tow vehicle or add one. The factory option used to be one that mounts up in the front in the underbelly. You have to cut and box the metal behind the A-frame and then mount a drop down framework. The bits and pieces are available from many Airstream dealers or probably could be fabricated without too much trouble. I have a scan that shows the parts and will see if I can get it posted when I get home this weekend. If it hasn't shown up by Easter Monday send me a PM reminder...they say the second thing to go is the memory

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
...My preference is something under the belly of the AS...
Out of Doors Mart carries them here. The listing includes a number of pictures. If you have any questions regarding the suitability of adding this to your trailer, I would give Dan a call. He has helped me in the past.
__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
87MH's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,435
Images: 292
Here's one way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
I need some advice...to carry a spare tire Any pics or other mods out there?
Spare Tire Mount




Spare Tire Rear Hanger Detail



Spare Tire Mount Front Hanger Detail



Rear Hanger Assembly

__________________
Dennis

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Refurbished 89 Excella
 
DKDarrow's Avatar
 
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 241
For me, I really do not like the idea of cutting into the freshly restored belly pan. Especially if it leaves all of that stuff exposed as it looks like.
Will continue putting it vertically against the cab of the truck protected by a camper shell.........Yes, if it is needed have to get in there and dig it out; but I bet this still faster and easier than unbolting all of those brackets...........Anyway, works for me.......Dennis
__________________
Dennis & Susan
D&D Farms, Sugar Valley, Ga
Registered Boer goats
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I mounted a C channel across the tongue frame against the front of the coach. Through that I bolted an all-thread bolt with a T saddle for the spare to rest (wheel) on and just pull the spare uo against the bottom of the frame. This places the spare half under the coach and half under the propane tanks.
Neil
Neil,

Do you have a photo of yours? What you describe sounds a lot like what they do on boats, and makes more sense to me than removing a section of the belly pan.

I only wonder if there is really enough vertical room below that part of the A-frame, wouldn't want it scraping on the road.

TIA,
Aage
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Neil,

Do you have a photo of yours? What you describe sounds a lot like what they do on boats, and makes more sense to me than removing a section of the belly pan.

I only wonder if there is really enough vertical room below that part of the A-frame, wouldn't want it scraping on the road.

TIA,
Aage
Granted, a section of the belly pan is removed, but it's reinstalled on the bottom of the floor.

Sealing the edges with Vulkem, keeps the front underbelly area as secure as though it was never touched.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Here's another option, this is on our GlobeTrotter but there's no reason it couldn't be retrofit to other years as long as your tanks aren't set too far back.

'64 Spare Tire Carrier

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Weekend Warrior
 
Mr.Sovereign's Avatar
 
2000 34' Excella
1987 29' Sovereign
Pace , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Granted, a section of the belly pan is removed, but it's reinstalled on the bottom of the floor.

Sealing the edges with Vulkem, keeps the front underbelly area as secure as though it was never touched.

Andy

Thanks to everyone for all the pics and responses. It helps so much to know what you're getting into before you pull out the tin snips and start cutting. I'm about 50% complete with mine now. I'll post pics in the near future. I have reskinned the underside of the floor with 020 aluminum. I had to use new material as the existing bellypan in that section was not in very good condition. I attached it directly to the floor with no insulation. I'm assuming this was the right thing to do? Otherwise you really lose clearance if you try to set off the skin from the floor (not sure how much insulatory value you could add anyway).

So here are the questions for Andy's post:

You mention sealing around the edges with Vulkem. I've read other posts that warned against sealing the belly pan due to moisture build-up. At this point I agree with you; my first inclination is to seal as you recommend.

Q1. To gain access to this area, the belly skin is cut along the frame line. I'm planning to rivet along the frame line and seal at this joint.

Q2. I attached the new aluminum within the well directly to the floor. I'm assuming that I should seal around the edges of this new skin also? Any concerns with moisture and/or floor rot? (Note: The existing floor is in pristine condition).

Thanks for everyone's help!

Warren
__________________
________________________
W. Warren Whitfield
Pace, Florida (near Pensacola)
2000 Excella 34'
2003 Suburban 1500 tow vehicle
Mr.Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the pics and responses. It helps so much to know what you're getting into before you pull out the tin snips and start cutting. I'm about 50% complete with mine now. I'll post pics in the near future. I have reskinned the underside of the floor with 020 aluminum. I had to use new material as the existing bellypan in that section was not in very good condition. I attached it directly to the floor with no insulation. I'm assuming this was the right thing to do? Otherwise you really lose clearance if you try to set off the skin from the floor (not sure how much insulatory value you could add anyway).

So here are the questions for Andy's post:

You mention sealing around the edges with Vulkem. I've read other posts that warned against sealing the belly pan due to moisture build-up. At this point I agree with you; my first inclination is to seal as you recommend.

Q1. To gain access to this area, the belly skin is cut along the frame line. I'm planning to rivet along the frame line and seal at this joint.

Q2. I attached the new aluminum within the well directly to the floor. I'm assuming that I should seal around the edges of this new skin also? Any concerns with moisture and/or floor rot? (Note: The existing floor is in pristine condition).

Thanks for everyone's help!

Warren
I should have said, you only seal the underbelly metal that you removed and relocated against the bottom of the floor, so that water cannot get to the plywood.

The rest of the underbelly must, as always, breathe.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
87MH's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,435
Images: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sovereign View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the pics and responses... I'm about 50% complete with mine now....I attached it directly to the floor with no insulation. I'm assuming this was the right thing to do?
Warren:

It may be too late for you to incorporate any insulation, but on mine I fitted a 1/2 piece of foam house insulation in the cavity before I installed the plywood you see in the pics.

I went with the plywood instead of the aluminum since there was only 1/2" plywood on the floor of the '78, and it was a bit "spongy" across the tire mount area (just too much of a span for 30 year old 1/2" plywood). I then weather sealed and painted the plywood for protection, but installed aluminum along the frame to weatherproof the steel in that area.

I sandwiched the ply between the two pieces of 1/2" plywood, and greatly increased the integrity of the floor in front of the gaucho. I screwed the Plywood/Foam Insulation/Plywood together, and ground off the tips of the screws that came out the bottom to prevent them (the screws) from damaging the tire.
__________________

__________________
Dennis

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare tire carrier help needed Safari Tim Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 13 05-14-2008 10:34 AM
Spare Tire Carrier '69 Globetrotter dbaur Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 3 05-09-2008 10:51 AM
spare tire carrier Argy 78 Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 1 01-29-2008 06:22 PM
Spare Tire Carrier AirHeadRik Tires 21 04-20-2005 12:24 AM
Spare Tire Carrier Pahaska Our Community 8 08-27-2003 10:00 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.