Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Andy... What Airstream dealer sales "Alclad Aluminum"?
I don't know about other dealer selling "alclad", but we always have, but only up to 12 foot lengths.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffe_1477 View Post
. . Depending on the cost benefit analysis I will be likely to use 5052. My belief is that it will hold up the longest and possibly be cheaper than the alclad product.
I used 5052 for the belly also. I agree with your reasoning, the only reason to use AlClad on the belly would be if you wanted to polish it.

I used .032" and it was pretty tough to roll the edges. Doable though.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #23

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Just some more thoughts...

I consider the belly skin a consumable item if you will. Just like a windshield on an automobile. It serves to protect any subfloor framing and systems from impact damage, and to some extent the weather. If it gets dinged from road debris, no one knows unless they crawl under the trailer, or it starts dragging the ground. As such, choosing to use the economical (aka cheapest) material for this application is appropriate for my application (JMHO). If it happens to be more corrosion resistant...Even Better!

As for the inside,

"but the inside, 2024 (with marginal corrosion resistance) will be exposed to any and all road spray that leaks inside the belly."

When the water gets in through the seams (it always does) I'd worry more about the steel framing being attacked than the aluminum. There is some concern over dissimilar metal corrosion if 2000 series alloys are used as opposed to say a 5000 series, but the difference in AI (anodic index) values for 2000 series aluminum and mild steel are still minimal. Of course if road salts are added to the equation...All bets are off.

Funny thing is that most of the time a belly skin drops is when the steel framing let's loose. I've seen many belly skins removed only to expose steel frames that have rusted away.

Regards All,

Kevin

(A former Metairie resident - Corner of Avenue B and Beverly Garden Drive)

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Underbelly metal

Underbelly metal comes loose for a number of reasons.

Rough roads, vibration due to unbalanced running gear, worn out rubber in the axles, excessive rated hitches and excessive rated tow vehicles, all can play a heavy part in loose underbelly.

Reinstalling the underbelly using large head 3/16" pop rivets, is much superior than the original installation.

Andy
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
SILVER CITY & DURANGO , NM & CO
What is the general opinion of using 3003-H14 Aluminum in .032 thickness for the belly and/or rolled edges?, Thicker yes, similar to the bananna wraps. A bit more difficult to roll up I know, but the main concern is corrosion resistance. Polishing is not a concern.

And regarding bananna wraps, what grade is used here? It appears to be a softer grade than the venerable 2024-T3.
Cost, availability & matching the bananna wraps better are reasons why I have considered 3003 series as a viable option.
Thanks
lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer View Post
What is the general opinion of using 3003-H14 Aluminum in .032 thickness for the belly and/or rolled edges?, Thicker yes, similar to the bananna wraps. A bit more difficult to roll up I know, but the main concern is corrosion resistance. Polishing is not a concern.

And regarding bananna wraps, what grade is used here? It appears to be a softer grade than the venerable 2024-T3.
Cost, availability & matching the bananna wraps better are reasons why I have considered 3003 series as a viable option.
Thanks
Banana wraps are on the 4 corners.

Underbelly wrap is on the side from the rub rail to the frame.

Hardened material does not offer any real benefits.

Andy

Andy