Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Replacing damaged banana wrap

The interior restoration on my 1984 34' limited is basically done. However, in doing some frame rot repair in the bumper compartment, I have discovered that some undetermined number of outriggers are rusted away to varying degrees. I have repaired the rusted out portions between the main frame rails, but, before POR-15ing the frame, I'd like to repair any damaged outriggers as well.

I plan on dropping portions of the banana wrap to inspect and gain access to these areas. Like the underbelly, the bana wrap is pretty corroded in certain areas, especially where it comes (or came) into contact with rusting outriggers.

The question: Is the banana wrap made from flat alumuinum sheets? In other words, can I replace the bad banana wrap (just the stright side pieces, not the corner pieces) buy cutting a flat sheet to the right size and just wrap it around the outriggers? Has anyone done this? Is it particularly difficult? What material and thickness do you recommend?

Thanks a bunch.

PanaBax
panabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes to all -- it is a fairly straightforward project. I've done it myself. The original stuff was 0.025". You may be able to get that but I did mine with 0.032" by preshaping to the curve with little more than my soft lawn and a few roundish long objects. The corner curved sections were made of stouter stuff and you should salvage those at all costs. Run your sheet metal laps like you would gutter downspout so that any water splashed up and under drains to the rear. Do not try to seal belly wrap and banana wrap -- it should breathe. I avoided replacing the belly wrap on my '74 Argosy even though it is not in great shape. I sure didn't want to re-do the LP piping just for the fun of replacing belly wrap. I made drilled squares of the .032 to use as washers where rivet holes had corroded thru the belly wrap.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like I have some work to do. I will definately go with the .032. Can you give me any advice on painting the banana wrap? What color is that thing anyway? It looks like a dark charcoal grey on mine. It that the original color. Are there better colors? I think black, with a black frame coming out the front, would look good, but I don't want to be too big of a maverick. Do you paint the pieces on or off of the coach?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

PanaBax
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
On my '80 the pieces were painted off the coach originally then repainted on the coach at some point. I would suggest that they be done off the coach. Also as a heads up replacement outriggers are available from some Airstream dealers. At least mine had them the last time I was up there.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Well, that would certainly make replacing the bad ones easier. Generally, are the profiles of the outriggers the same for the entire trailer, or will I need to identify one of several specific outriggers for my coach?

Whoever said
"it's not whether you win or lose"
probably lost!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by panabax
Well, that would certainly make replacing the bad ones easier. Generally, are the profiles of the outriggers the same for the entire trailer, or will I need to identify one of several specific outriggers for my coach?
IIRC there are only 3 types of outriggers and they are all the same outer profile. You have the solid ones that go by the wheel wheels, the slotted ones for the steps and the regular ones for everywhere else. According to their online catalog they are only about $17 each. You also have road side and curb side...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote