Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Rear End Belly Pan

Well....Just as I was doing some maintenance work on the Airstream,Look what I found.I already drilled out some of the rivets and about to drop the piece down.It seems that it has gotten soaked and was getting really heavy.
I was thinking about staying with the same size rivets.Should I just move to a size bigger since it would seem to hold better.Maybe some stainless screws with large washer?
Also....What type of insulation can I put back in there.everwhere else the insulation is fine except in the back.Luckily the wood floor is still in good shape.
Every bit of help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	102260  

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
Franklin , North Carolina
I have a similar issue. I was replacing the rear floor in the 85 sovereign and stopped for the night. Soon after, it started raining and I noticed from the inside that water was running down the inside of the banana panel.
rc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey Devoman,

We had a similar problem with our 2005 safari bunkhouse. The wet insulation and a full roll of duct tape (must have rolled into the floor space during construction at the factory) supplied enough weight to rip the aluminum from around the rivets. I fixed the problem by increasing the strength of the aluminum sheet by using a 6 foot long, 2 inch wide, 1/8" thick piece of flat aluminum available at Home Depot or Lowes. I drilled the flat aluminum and then tapped the frame member, then used 1/4" stainless steel bolts and fender washers to secure the aluminum sandwich to the frame. I sealed everything with some putty and cemented the bolts with some Lock-tite. After some 15000 miles, the fix is working well. I have attached a picture for clarification.

Name:	DSCN1270.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	102262

Bye,
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Wood floor

After I got the belly almost all the way off I checked along where the belt line sits.Well low and behold.It seems that I can almost press my finger half way thru the wood floor.The rot runs along the whole rear area where the bumper connects to the frame.Hurra for me!!!!
I am now thinking I must remove the belt to seal this area unless it would be possible to seal it from beneath the beltline?It seems that there is no sealant there at all.

My Airstream Is only a 2005 25'SS
I am sad.Not mad,Just sad that I have to do extra work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5106113.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	102263   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5106114.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	102264  

Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Our belly pan would "oil can" now and then with just the right wind (strong and from the rear, parked). We noticed it had popped some rivets and so decided to have it braced with an additional cross piece between the frame members. It's about 4 ft square. I suspect it's intended to "leak" so any water in there could escape so maybe shouldn't be too tight.

Speaking of water, we are having a lot of work done to repair serious hail damage. As part of that, the rear end cap has been removed and has revealed a ruined floor for about 4 feet (at least) ahead of the rear hatch. Water has been standing on the bottom aluminum frame rail directly under the hatch for a long time, possibly from before the storm. Timeless Travel Trailers will pull up more flooring tomorrow and I am holding my breath about what they may find. We may be doing a body off floor replacement, and the RV was new in April of 06.

On the bright side, we found this problem before stepping thru the floor.

Please look closely at this possible water entry point. Maybe under the hatch, onto and thru the rear rail, thru the floor ruining it, and onto the belly pan. Other threads have talked about floor rot in this area; good luck.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
_

. , .
hey devoman that STINKS!

is there any chance this water intrusions is a from the LEAKY fresh water fill or shore water connect ?

as i recall you've had that problem a couple of times and replaced/fixed it twice?

IF the water is from intrusion at the lower belt/trim line, YES the trim will need to be removed for repair.

typically there is little/NO sealant on the lower edge of the trim to LET water out...

but the top should be sealed (that can leak too) and the bumper shelf can CHANNEL water toward that seam...

several threads on this this issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...eak-56099.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...eaks-5894.html

there are others on newer streams but this issue goes WAY back...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f477...ign-23121.html

still i'd also wonder about the previous water fill issues and 100 other ways water gets in these things...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Water Inlet

Yea I reworked that today.I went and redid the pex line and replaced a piece with the flexible line to the inlet.I am also in the works of doing the flexi lines to the sinks and toilet.I checked really good around the inlet area to make sure that the rot was from that but the wood around that area is great compared to the rear end.I also checked for area around places like the door and stairs.I have been sealing up a lot of things and removing the old seals(Even if they are still good I am replacing as much as I can.
I am off tomorrow so I will be taking the beltline off.I just hope the sticky tape still works when I pull the center trim piece out on the beltline.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
_

. , .
these sealants take a beating, especially in flo'

the double stick tape usually peels just fine but don't be tempted to REuse it...

the trim has a thin 'bright work' layer (the fake chrome) and if it's peeled/rolled with 2much REVERSE curve/bend...

it will crinkle/CRACK along the outer surface.

take some pics and let us see how it goes.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Trim

You are right about that 2Air.I had some of that center trim come off last summer.About close to 2 feet of it.I went and got some doublesided 3M tape and put it back on.It akes a lot to take that stuff off.
I will take some pictures tomorrow when I start back on it in the morning.
Now I need to get some more sealant.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
work

Well I got some #14 x 3/4 metal screws and some 3/16 x 1 1/4 washers.Did a test run with those and it fits perfect on the belly.
You just have to make sure the rivets are completely out of the hole.
I used a small drill bit and then broke the rivet heads off and then redrilled the left over piece out.I never made the original holes bigger.Also I got some Tempro 636 to seal the beltline with once I get that off.I have about three screws that have rusted into the beltline and is stuck.I stripped the heads on them so off to home depot tomorrow to get that tool that removes stripped screws.Also I noticed that they added some rivets in the beltline and drilled those out also.
one thing I noticed though was that the screws are not stainless.I will be getting those tomorrow.
As for the center piece or chrome belt.It pretty much came off with no force at all.Pretty much would have fallen off within the season I think.I am going to play around with it and replace the sticker on the back side of it if I can.Well that is it for now but I will have some pics up hopefully soon for all to see.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Beltline

Got both the rear belts off today and started cleaning up the area.It will take me a couple days to do this.
I got half done today though.One thing I can say is that they did seal the rear area up.The bad part is that they either did not complete the seal in certain areas or the seal shrunk a bit and opened up some areas.The bigger areas of rot in the wood is where the opening are at.
I also went back to home depot today and purchased stainless screws.The ones they use rusted and I had about 3 screw strip out on me because they were rusted in..I had to drill them out.

When I finish everything and start replacing the belt trim back on.
Should I go ahead and purchase some Acryl-R now or would the tempro 636 work just as good?
I am thinking the Acryl-R.Any advise is appreciated.Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
_

. , .
UNDER the beltline at the shell/skin panel seam use the vulkem as needed to seal the shell.

it' might be useful in any screw holes than can channel water.

after the trim is reattached vulkem, parbond or acryl-r can be used to 'seal' the trim along the skin.

this gap should only be 1-2 mm if the trim is properly snugged.

the issue is making a small cosmetically nice bead along the trim/shell gap.

it's very easy with the acryl-r which retracts into the gap,

and takes more practice/technique (or a syringe) to do that tiny bead with vulkem or parbond.

cheers
2air'

Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
syringe

Would masking it with the blue painters tape work?I thought I saw some others doing this in other threads.
How long would it have to sit before I peel it off?I am thinking right after I get done with the whole beltline from one end to the other,it should have set up by then.I also have the Parbond in the tube.I used it on the water inlet connect.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Almost There

I am pretty much finished on the cleaning part.It was not as bad as I though it would be.To get the old sealant out I used a plain ole Plexi glass cutter.It worked really well and the pointy end of it would snag what was underneath the aluminum wall.
I also used some mineral spirit to wipe and clean the area up when finished and then washed it down to finalize the cleaning.
Tomorrow I start sealing everything up and then hopefully have the trim all on.
After that I will tape it off and use some aluminum colored parbond to seal the top of the beltline.
Well here is what I have done so far.
I still have just a touch here and there to clean on final inspection before I start sealing it up tomorrow so any more advise before I start on it tomorrow is greatly appreciated?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5136128.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	102473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5136132.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	102475  

Name:	P5136133.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	102476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	102477  

Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
I tow where I'm told.

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
We feel your pain Devoman. We found the same situation a few months ago on our 2004 28' Int. I have been working on re-sealing everything on the rear of the AS thinking that the water was coming from above. So the bumper seam is next. We have also had to replace the city water inlet twice in the last two years due to leaking from the seam in the housing of the inlet assembly. I have started using an external pressure regulator and have not experienced any failures since. I have also had good luck with using blue painters tape along the seams to help with clean-up when using Acryl-R. I always try to remove the tape within a day or two. The tape seams to be more difficult to remove if you leave it on for longer than that.

Safe Travels!!!
Tim
MrRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Work

Well I finished putting on the Aluminum Belt back on.I sealed the bottom and also put sealant in the screw holes.I plan to put more sealant around the screws before I put the center chrome belt in.Now all I need to do is put Parbond on the top of the beltline and I am done.I will be taping everything off before I do this and hopefully be done.

And if you are wondering how I smoothed out the Tempro 636.I got a glass of water and added some dishwash liquid in it to help my finger slide a bit easier.It work out pretty good for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5146152.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	102519   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5146153.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	102520  

Name:	P5146154.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	102521   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5146155.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	102523  

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
_

. , .
looks go dude!

i saw the "chrome insert" for sale in a 3m branded package today at an car/truck accessory store.

exactly the same stuff we have and with the 2sided tape PRE applied.

about 20$ for 8 or 10 feet, i've forgotten what a/s charges for that stuff.

cheers
2air'

Old 05-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Finally Finished

Finally finished it today.I think it turned out pretty good myself.
I decided to go with the Parbond in the tube.I can say that this stuff dries pretty quickly on the outside forming a thin layer so you have to be fast when laying this down.Another thing is do not use soap and water to smooth this stuff out.Just use water.
Well I taped it off with blue painters tape and then laid down the Parbond.Once I did that and then smoothed it out I took the tape off as fast as I could.There were a couple areas that the sealer missed and were pin head sized so I went back and taped and sealed those up.Now that I am finished with that I am now going to start working on the belly pan again.
In the picture you will see how I had it taped off.The others are the end results with the seal in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5156171.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	102567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5156172.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	102568  

Name:	P5156173.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	102569   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5156174.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	102570  

Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
I tow where I'm told.

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Great Job Devoman!!! I guess I will start on ours when we return from Alumapalooza. I will definately refer back to this thread before I begin. Great tips!!
Thanks and Safe Travels!!!
Tim
MrRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Belly

Finally finished the belly pan in the rear.I have not had time time in a while and was able to get on it the last couple days ago.All is good now.Now on to other simple upgrades.