Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Not a sandwich just sistered next to the bad part, note the end flange bolting the the cross frames. It will hold an 800lb gorillia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C channel.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	55159   Click image for larger version

Name:	C channel 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	55160  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Not a sandwich just sistered next to the bad part, note the end flange bolting the the cross frames. It will hold an 800lb gorillia
Bob,

Very nice. Both legs of the "C" channel are on either side of the old frame? Difficult to see from the photos. Looks more like an "L". I'm just trying to get an idea of how this works. Looks very neat.

Todd

Old 02-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #17
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
It's a C channel length wise about 40 inches the tabs are welded on each end to the C channel shown on one end above the red jack stand.

So it is then thru bolted along the 40 inch length thru the old steel frame and again thru the end tabs into the steel cross frames.

Also the old steel was wire brushed and painted with POR-15 before hand.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you've come this far...

Now he says from under the bleachers...

Where do you folks live that a welder will build a new frame for $2000? I think that estimate is about half what it would be here. I needed some aluminum welded to repair a window frame that had a cracked miter. I was astounded at the hourly rates welders get. The cheapest guy I found here in central Maryland wanted $125 per hour plus materials. Even if you could handle heavy metal, cut it to the exact size, and weld perfect welds, do you think a new frame could be built in 16 hours. I realize the costs in Texas are lower than here, but even if a welder was half the cost as here, well, could it be done in 32 hours? I seriously doubt it. Sorry to pee on the campfire...
From what I see in those photos, your frame is shot. If the rear third is eaten up like that, there is no way the rest could be much better. That kind of rust does not come from a leaking skylight or window, that kind of rust comes from the salt ladened air it has spent it's life around. To fix her, you will need to do as Uwe has said and lift the shell off and roll that thing out. I saw a thread where someone down your way built an entirely new frame for the same reason as you. He built the new one on top of the original so he could copy it exactly. I do not think it would be in your best interest to sister, splice, or spline onto what you have now. I think a new frame can be done, but if money is an issue, do not even begin.
As a self preservation act, I do not retain and receipts from my project. My local RV center knows me well enough now that they do not even tell me the total. Ruby just smiles and asks for my card. She smiles and tells me, "I'll put the receipt in your folder honey, incase you need to make a return or exchange". Ignorance is bliss when it comes to how much I spend.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote