Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bud,
Wow, sorry to hear about your health issues. I appreciate your remarks. I think my new rims will be here tomorrow. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, hahaha.

I sure hope you are up about soon and able to get back out in your new AS.

Pete

TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Glad to hear its mostly all back together. I repaired a lower panel that was on my '73 Overlander from the PO. It was fairly straightforward work but if you aren't accustomed to sheet metal it can be a bit daunting.

I see you are over in Va. Beach. There seem to be a few of us popping up in Tidewater, there are two new folks, one in Chesapeake and another one down the road from me in Portsmouth. One of these days we may run into each other. We have a membership at Indian Cove over in Sandbridge.

Good luck and if you need help on anything, give me a hollar.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Tire blowout and Unerbelly repair

Re-Pete

Thanks. I had no intention of letting the regular (non-AS) shop do the work... I was simply checking and trying to get a handle on costs. I am a contractor and can attest to how people typically fix things around the house - the typical shop strikes me as being a bit 'amateurish' and not likely to fix this properly. I live two hours away from any major city in the mountains so taking my rig here and there is costly, time-consuming, and frequently frustrating. I will post some pics so that you can get an idea of what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	296.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	238239  
Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Another photo... last batch did not upload properly
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Glad to hear its mostly all back together. I repaired a lower panel that was on my '73 Overlander from the PO. It was fairly straightforward work but if you aren't accustomed to sheet metal it can be a bit daunting.

I see you are over in Va. Beach. There seem to be a few of us popping up in Tidewater, there are two new folks, one in Chesapeake and another one down the road from me in Portsmouth. One of these days we may run into each other. We have a membership at Indian Cove over in Sandbridge.

Good luck and if you need help on anything, give me a hollar.
Hey Bob,
Thanks for introducing yourself. I'm sure there are more than a few of us in the area and we're open to getting together anytime. Providing we're here of course.

Learned that my rims should be here on Wednesday. Since my tires are already here it's just a waiting game now.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCamper07 View Post
Re-Pete

Thanks. I had no intention of letting the regular (non-AS) shop do the work... I was simply checking and trying to get a handle on costs. I am a contractor and can attest to how people typically fix things around the house - the typical shop strikes me as being a bit 'amateurish' and not likely to fix this properly. I live two hours away from any major city in the mountains so taking my rig here and there is costly, time-consuming, and frequently frustrating. I will post some pics so that you can get an idea of what happened.
I know what you mean on all accounts. I'm 5 hours away from Out-of-Doors Mart, the closest place I'd let work on my AS, but it is what it is. Judging from the photo you posted, your damage looks pretty similar to mine. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
The photos I tried to upload yesterday would not upload (format too large). Below are some additional photos that should detail the damage. Can anyone tell me the gauge or thickness of aluminum needed to effect the repair?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020995.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	238344   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020996.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	238345  

Name:	P1020997.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	238346   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020998.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	238347  

Old 05-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Re-Pete - how did you form the curve for the side of the aluminum sheet? Could you form the curve by bending it gently over a piece of pipe (beginning with 4", forming the curve shape, and gradually working to a smaller diameter, as needed)? I can tell that the square box behind the panel is the cover for my holding tanks.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Re-Pete - how did you form the curve for the side of the aluminum sheet? Could you form the curve by bending it gently over a piece of pipe (beginning with 4", forming the curve shape, and gradually working to a smaller diameter, as needed)? I can tell that the square box behind the panel is the cover for my holding tanks.
MtnCamper,

I'm sorry but I can't answer any of your questions, because I did not do the repairs myself.

I believe you can get the help you need if you start a new thread. Re-Post the pictures and your questions there and I'm certain you'll get some very good help.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Re-Pete

Thanks for your reply. As the body panel (sheet aluminum) is ultra thin, I don't think that will be a problem. A funny things happens when you are an AS person... you begin reading posts and see acronyms of all types... at first, they are like reading Greek... then you start to figure it out. So, what are ST tires? Is that the load rating? (I will read up on this)

Also, I have steel rims on my TT at the moment. I see two basic AS-type aluminum wheels as replacements - a 5-star pattern and a wheel with round holes (see Inland RV site for details) - but both are 15" wheels. I thought I read a thread about replacing your tires with 16" wheels and tires. Not sure if I saw that on this same thread, but the person posting listed a rim type, size, and style. I should have read this more carefully, but... can you comment of replacing wh/tire with larger size? Obviously, this will give slightly more ground clearance, so what are the pros/cons?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Re-Pete

Thanks for your reply. As the body panel (sheet aluminum) is ultra thin, I don't think that will be a problem. A funny things happens when you are an AS person... you begin reading posts and see acronyms of all types... at first, they are like reading Greek... then you start to figure it out. So, what are ST tires? Is that the load rating? (I will read up on this)

Also, I have steel rims on my TT at the moment. I see two basic AS-type aluminum wheels as replacements - a 5-star pattern and a wheel with round holes (see Inland RV site for details) - but both are 15" wheels. I thought I read a thread about replacing your tires with 16" wheels and tires. Not sure if I saw that on this same thread, but the person posting listed a rim type, size, and style. I should have read this more carefully, but... can you comment of replacing wh/tire with larger size? Obviously, this will give slightly more ground clearance, so what are the pros/cons?

Thanks
Quick tiretorial...

'ST'... "specialty Tire"... "Soon Trashed"... (Specialty Trailer).. etc..

a 16" wheel (rim) MUST be fitted with 16" tires. Same fact with 15"rim, 15" tire..

You MUST verify that YOUR trailer takes 'Zero Offset' wheels/rims... 6x5.5 is the bolt pattern.. but, VERIFY on your trailer.. that is 6 holes x 5.5" between the lugs.

Then you figure out the 'size' of tire you want... there are threads on "Michelin" tires in 16" wheels.... those are the PRIMO route.

I went with Goodyear Wrangler HT, 215/75 R15LT,.. so, that is a 215 by 75MM height to width ratio, R=radial tire, LT (Light Truck). Several thousand miles, working great.

ALSO... get some 'tire pressure/temperature' monitors.. TST or another of your choice.. here is the TST.. TST507SCE Truck Tire Pressure monitoring system we run. It just plain works and gives you good intel on your temps and pressures... important on our 3 axle rig, for sure.. We 'lost' a rear Curb side 'ST' before getting the new Goodyears and this tool.. and we did not know it until another driver flagged us to the problem. It has been excellent.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
CWF

Quick reply to 'tiretorial...'

I did not know what ST stood for but I did know that you can only install tires of the same diameter on the same size rims (e.g., 15" tires on 15" rims). I also knew about the different tire height and width options (e.g., low profile tire on a performance rim for a sports car to improve handling). And I have always purchased good quality tires for any of my vehicles. I have Michelins on my truck - and spend quite a bit every time they need to be changed. But there are some people who either don't know how important this is or don't care.

I believe the PO had some no-name, knock-off brand tires installed. And then when he had a blowout, he simply replaced it with another cheapo tire. I'm sure he saved a buck or two but at what cost? And the damage done on my TT is now my problem. I'm just trying to figure out what the best option for my rig and my budget will be.

I've done a lot of towing and had just two flats - the first occurred when trying to maneuver a loaded trailer around a curb with tight spacing in a parking lot - as I made my turn, the wheel rubbed against the curb and
knocked the bead of the rim, flattening the tire instantly. Luckily, this occurred in slow motion at low speed and nothing was damaged. The second was a blowout while towing a vehicle on the highway. Again, I was lucky and nothing happened. I am one who believes in not taking unnecessary chances and putting your $$ where your mouth is (or where the rubber meets the road). In any case, I do plan to replace my existing tires as soon as I can.

I wanted to replace my wheels and was looking at aluminum rims as an option. But a larger tire & wheel combo is an interesting option. I will need to read more about this and do my due diligence. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
MtnCamper07,

Yeah, like Channing said, ST = Specialty Trailer. I was fairly ignorant about tires until this spring. Having that double blowout and the resulting damage knocked me out of my blissful ignorance. I was lucky enough to be taken under the wing of another forum member Skip Wong (Phoenix), who guided me and helped me get through the learning process. I'm providing the links that he gave me which are to posts he made concerning ST tires and LT tires and why he decided to go to 16" tires and wheels. He made me a believer too.

Below are the links he provided me, including one to a poll he's conducting. This is a lot of reading, but I found it very helpful. Some of it, it appears you probably know. Anyway, it should help with your decision making. It really helped me. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a picture of my new rims and tires and post it here. They look awesome.

Links:

* Major tire failure threads on AirForums

* Our tire saga

* History of our tire failures

* Differences between Michelin XPS Ribs, LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2

* Airstream Tire Failure Poll

==========

Our experience with tires:

* http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1571606

* http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1561159

Some words of wisdom he provided me with:

Quote:
Pete,

While all of the tire discussions seem to make buying new tires a complicated decision, there end up being only three options:
Quote:
  • Buy the best ST tires available -- There are a lot of opinions on this, but Maxxis seems to be generally considered one of the best. However, I had one of two Maxxis ST tires fail, so I don't think ST tires are an option that I would consider.

• Buy 235/75x15 XL tires -- If you decide to do this, make sure that the load rating on these tires will be sufficient for your Airstream model, and that there are no clearance problems with these slightly larger-diameter tires. Most who choose this option buy Michelin LTX MS/2 tires in load range "XL". (XL tires are rated for 50 psi max, and are roughly equivalent to the old LT/Light Truck load range "C".) This option is better than ST tires; but still not the best option, in my opinion.

• Buy 225/75x16 LT tires & 16" wheels -- In my opinion, this is the best option; and the one we chose. Most people who switched to 16" wheels & LT tires bought the same tires that Airstream offers as a factory-installed option, Michelin LTX MS/2 LT tires, load range "E" (80 psi max). Due to us living in the desert southwest, we decided to buy Michelin XPS Ribs (same size and load range); because these are about as close to bullet proof as one can buy. XPS Ribs have one-ply steel sidewalls, instead of the LTX MS/2's two-ply polyester sidewalls. (Also, both of these have three steel radial belts, instead of most other tires' two radial belts.)

So, basically, skim a few of the tire discussion threads; then, just pick which of these three options fit your needs and budget.

A couple of extra notes:

If you plan to tow a lot of miles, the 16" wheel/LT tire option will save you money in the long run, as these tires will likely last 75,000 miles or more. (ST tires = approximately 20-30,000 miles. XL tires = unknown, but most likely more than 30,000 miles.) However, if you won't tow this distance in 6-7 years, be aware that you may have to replace tires that have aged-out with weather checking and surface cracks in the rubber, even though lots of tread remains.

If you plan to tow in the south and desert southwest in the summer, when temperatures are 105-118+ degrees, ST tires have a failure rate higher than 50%. Personally, I would switch to 16" wheels & Michelin LT tires, which have no reported failures. In fact, the only LT tire failures that AirForums members have reported are three BFG Commercial TAs.
Personally went with the Michelin 16" LTX 225/R75 MS/2 (MS = Mud and Snow), these are all season tires with a 70K warranty, as opposed to the Michelin XPS Ribs, which are a summer / warm/hot weather only tire. When I called the Michelin help line I learned that the XPS Rib is not supposed to be driven in temps below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in Virginia, enough said on that.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Sorry I got side tracked. I meant to post these last Friday.

Here are a couple of pictures of the repair and the new rims and tires. I hadn't put my Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors back on the tires yet, in these pictures.

Name:	20150516_090254.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	238681

Name:	20150516_090044.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	238682