Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
My Belly Jiggles

Well helloo there....I'mmmm Back for those oldies still hanging about the Airforums....and for all the people I have no clue who you are, a big hello.

So first lets just say I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM I really do and would not have anything else...

However...

After dabbling in the Vintage restorations a few years back - okay seems like a life time ago - It is just so really hard to discuss my Belly at this age.

Nevertheless getting to the point.

The front section of my Belly pan fell off on my last trip and spewed her pink fluffy yuck all over the hi-way. I had a moment of sheer panic as I watched the mass of pink in my side mirror - thinking the worst of course that one of my skin panels had let go.

Pulled over no problem and went to work to get what was left secured for the pending 8 hour drive.

Yep the entire under belly is corroded. Looking for suggestions on where I could take my baby (Live around the Peterborough Ontario area).

Second question is - I think it would be a good idea to treat the frame and maybe spray the under floor with some sort of rubber sealer? (remember I drive through canadian winters)

Third question - should I consider ditching the pink stuff and going with a different type of under floor insulation? and what is the going consensus on the type of material to use....

Always very appreciative of any and all opinions and suggestions....

If feels good to be back...
PS I have a year to go and hitting the road as a snow bird - so lots to take care of in the spring and summer...and I will have lots of questions - but in other sub-forums...

Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would tear out pink, hit the floor with a penatrating wood preservative, paint the frame with por 15, go back with foam board insulation and re-skin. There are threads on each of these steps. Others can share their actual fixes and threads. I've only read them and haven't the need to practice them...yet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Well helloo there....I'mmmm Back for those oldies still hanging about the Airforums....and for all the people I have no clue who you are, a big hello.

So first lets just say I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM I really do and would not have anything else...

However...

After dabbling in the Vintage restorations a few years back - okay seems like a life time ago - It is just so really hard to discuss my Belly at this age.

Nevertheless getting to the point.

The front section of my Belly pan fell off on my last trip and spewed her pink fluffy yuck all over the hi-way. I had a moment of sheer panic as I watched the mass of pink in my side mirror - thinking the worst of course that one of my skin panels had let go.

Pulled over no problem and went to work to get what was left secured for the pending 8 hour drive.

Yep the entire under belly is corroded. Looking for suggestions on where I could take my baby (Live around the Peterborough Ontario area).

Second question is - I think it would be a good idea to treat the frame and maybe spray the under floor with some sort of rubber sealer? (remember I drive through canadian winters)

Third question - should I consider ditching the pink stuff and going with a different type of under floor insulation? and what is the going consensus on the type of material to use....

Always very appreciative of any and all opinions and suggestions....

If feels good to be back...
PS I have a year to go and hitting the road as a snow bird - so lots to take care of in the spring and summer...and I will have lots of questions - but in other sub-forums...

I share the same problem - and I think for the same reason. Driving south in winter as I will be dong again early next month - often results in lots of highway salt spray finding its way into the belly pan.

Next to impossible to get out I think although I try to really wash things down when we get to our destination.

No doubt the inside of the belly pan does dry out fairly soon, but I think the salt lies in there in dry form only to be re-activated whenever you tow in rain and more water finds its way in.

It really increases the corrosion where the aluminum panels are riveted to the steel frame members.

I haven't lost any panels yet due to this but have found lots of missing rivets and
panels beginning to break loose.

So now as part of my tool kit, I carry lots of pop rivets and ss sheet metal screws and a whole bunch of large (1" x 1 "square) washers I cut from strips of 1" aluminum bought from CTC or Home Depot and use then to replace missing rivets underneath.

Not the best solution, but it helps keep things together down there!

I'll be interested to learn what you wind up doing - I would like to find some more permanent fix, even if it means replacing the belly pan to clean everything up.

Meanwhile I'll be taking rivets and square washers to Florida next month as usual! (I'd better buy the repair stuff before leaving what with the miserable state of our dollar - never thought I'd be praying for oil prices to go up!)

Presume you don't want to take your trailer as far as CanAm in London for work?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks Rich and Brian.

Rich I'm still debating whether to tackle this job myself. We actually do get pro 15 up here in Canadian Tire now - but OMG it was like $68 for a small can. There are other products like "rock guard" which I used on another landscape trailer that was awesome tuff stuff. However you are right as the frame is pretty much protected A good rust paint should do.

The floor in the 2005 is OBS not plywood. It looked pretty good - no water damage that I could see. Some spots of the frame around the rivet holes that um are really big - has a bit of rust.

I have found I just don't have the strength to get those big underbelly rivets in - well with the hand riveter anyway. Maybe if I used a air one might be better - ha just don't have one.

Then another issue is there is lots of propane pipes and "stuff" to work around. I could probably drill all the stuff out in the Spring and do the sanding and sealing and compromise and take it to a metal fabricator??

Brian - yes our travels to the South take their tole on the corrosion exclamation for sure. Where my panel gave way there was no rivet holes to actually snap it back up. So I had to just screw it to the underside of the floor to get home. I thought I could reinforce the sheet but it was just so bad and trying to line up the holes and put it back up myself under there was IMPOSSIBLE

Yes Can Am is a bit too far - and expensive too.

I too have gone through the odd bandaid with washers and such but after a real close look under there - I really need to rip the old stuff down completely.

My Black, Grey and Fresh water tank covers are really bad at the corners too - so not really sure if I should replace them or bandaid them.

What I would LOVE - is to take it somewhere and get them to give me a whole new underbelly and tank covers, give a good frame spray and wood seal - but anywhere I call they want me to bring it to them i.e. Factory and CanAm just for a quote...Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I did my own belly pan replacement & POR-15'd & had my son put on a couple of new outriggers It's not rocket science....it's just messy. Here's my thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...pan-58333.html

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks Becky - your thread was a great read!

Although I am no stranger to the under Yuck of airstreams - I am getting older and have less patience, mobility, meaning getting up off the ground and staying awake power ROFL. So in all I am terrified now when I crawl under the trailer I might end up staying there for eternity.

Seriously though...one of my big draw backs is I no longer have the nice big RV garage or the array of tools at my disposal - the big D kind of changed my life a bit.

Nevertheless on a good day I really don't mind crawling under my ModPod and sharing the damp space with the crud, and critters.

As I do have lots of little projects and not so much time in the coming Spring I will have to weigh the potential DIY projects I wish to tackle and of course the non-existent budget.

On that note. I am still having a hard time finding anyone close that will supply a good size sheet of .32 aluminum. Best so far is the SOB techs that crimp shorter pieces of sheet aluminum together to fit your size needed - but I just don't like that idea at all. Ha ha

I'm also thinking of using Polyurethane and Polyisocyanurate type of insulation that does come in rigid boards - which gives a nice R-7 - R-8 per inch value - which is very important to me as I do camp in the shoulder seasons - and that means not winter camping but pretty cold for my arthritic bones - as well as for my old gal Haily who sleeps on the floor.

I also have to consider looking at my holding/black/and fresh tank covers - ha little rust buckets (in all their corners) so would like to drop them too - either replace or have new corners spot welded on - but just seems a big daunting job for me. Ha I can't even get the first screw loose even with penetrating oil stuff (it was a test to see how easy they might come out for me) Ug - walked away from trying to do that before the snow came.

Will continue to shop around in the meantime.

Although I am thinking of folding and taking a trip to the Factory as my tail lights, door hinges and some spots around the running lights are corroded - as well would like my wheels done. I had a bit of an issue with my frame a while back and would be able get them to do a follow-up inspection for me at the same time as replacing the belly pan and tanks. BUT if I have to take a mortgage out just to pay for their service costs - that may be out the window....