Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post

Also, your quote about the Boise International 1998 Rally......
I stand totally corrected. I just went out & checked the rivets on the seams of the front and back endcaps. They are ALL Olympic rivets. So are the ones on the back window (probably front one too). I think you have finally solved my questions. I just assumed that the rivets were all like that & the quality from the '76 rivets had gone down alot! After looking more closely, the rivets below the seams on the sides are bucked.
I think you are right about segment replacement & think both front & back segments were replaced. Thanks for the insight on the 1998 Rally! The thought of segment replacement did go through my head, but I couldn't imagine that both ends were replaced, as well as the window! I think you are absolutely right about that. It's amazing to me that the people I purchased this trailer from acted so innocent about any knowledge about anything being wrong with the trailer. (no leaks, great shape) They were elderly people, which bothers me even more.....how can we teach our children & grandchildren to be honest, if we as grandparents are dishonest!? Sad commentary on the world. Oh well, I do have all the leaks fixed, the interior remodeled, and am finishing up the exterior. I guess I wouldn't have a project if it were all perfect!
Just out of curiosity how much more money did they get, than if they told the truth? Or would you have bought it at all?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
They probably would have never sold it ifor $10,000 if they had said.."Leaks all over. Rotten spots in floor. Outriggers coming out the banana wrap, but covered pretty well. New segments on front and back. Frames on couch and beds need rebuild due to rot from moisture." I paid probably $3000-$4000 too much, but I wouldn't have bought it at all....I've put well over $2000 into it, but really only anticipated recaulking when purchased.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sorry about that. My fault.

Replacing the underbelly wrap is the only way to get rid of the slits that are in it.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
I am no expert here but don't you need to find out why the outriggers are slicing into the wrap before you replace the wrap? PJ
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
I am no expert here but don't you need to find out why the outriggers are slicing into the wrap before you replace the wrap? PJ
When the running gear is not properly balanced, the shock makes the underbelly wrap flutter.

When that happens, the steel outriggers cut into the aluminum underbelly wrap.

When repairing that type damage, you can add a flat "thin" piece of steel to the edge of the outriggers, so that in the future, the flat piece of metal is against the aluminum, instead of the sharp end of the outrigger.

Andy
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll bondo the spots before I paint the banana wrap. I'm getting the Centramatics next week & will have the wheels balanced before putting them on. Hopefully, no more issues. These Airstreams are like M & M's .....you just can't tell what's inside until you bite into them!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll bondo the spots before I paint the banana wrap. I'm getting the Centramatics next week & will have the wheels balanced before putting them on. Hopefully, no more issues. These Airstreams are like M & M's .....you just can't tell what's inside until you bite into them!
Hi Becky.

More than likely, the flexing of the trailer, will proably kick the Bondo out.

You can easily add a small plate, say a couple of inches wide, over each one of those slits.

That would be a much cleaner job, and you would not have to paint anythying.

Andy
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #21
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you are going to fix the holes how about rivetting pieces of stainless steel over the holes? They would match the aluminum in appearance but not wear through again.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Becky if I recall correctly from long ago; balancing the running gear per Inland Andy entails much more than just taking the tires and wheels for balancing.
It requires that the hubs be balanced.Maybe it was hubs and wheels and tires all at once, not sure. And very few places can do that. I would check with Inland Andy for the current thinking on this procedure. Maybe the factory can do it right if you are near there>

As for seniors telling lies, yep that is unfortunate but young liars just grow older not "honester". Actually of course when it comes to commerce (buying & selling) (especially amateur commerce) there are many more liars than otherwise, young, old & in between IMHO. It's a devious, wicked old world we find ourselves in, maybe more so every day. Love your neighbor He says. But does He say trust em?

Assuming you paid a few thousand too much (which may not be the case) will only weigh on your mind. Don't let it. The solution is to make sure you have that much (and more) value in joy derived from the trailer.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm in the process of painting the banana wrap anyhow, so I won't be avoiding it by putting patches on the slits. They really aren't that large or noticeable (it took me 1 1/2 years to even notice them since they're toward the bottom of the wrap), so I might even just leave them the way they are & paint it.

As far as the balancing goes.....I have read a bunch of threads of balancing (even before I noticed the slits) and went so far as to call a couple of tire garages to see if they did the balancing of hubs & tires all at once. They never heard of such a thing (not that I'm saying there isn't). Then I read about the Centramatics on this forum. The people that have them seem happy with them. Since I can't find anyone to balance the whole unit, I'm having the tires balanced & then putting on the Centramatics. I'm hoping they work as well as people on here have said they do. I'm a LONG way from Andy, so I won't be going there!

By the way, I'm over the fact that I messed up when I bought my trailer. I gave it a mean name after I bought it (Brutis), but I'm considering changing it, since it's now looking nice & has grown on me! It might even change into a girl!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
That's a great attitude Becky.
The balancing thing is very important. I'm sure someone here will direct you to a more local place for you to check out. I don't see a major problem with leaving the slits as they are for a while anyway. The intrusion of water would eventually cause the frame to rust but the belly wraps are not very water tight anyway.

Rich
Old 03-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
It requires that the hubs be balanced.Maybe it was hubs and wheels and tires all at once, not sure. And very few places can do that. I would check with Inland Andy for the current thinking on this procedure. Maybe the factory can do it right if you are near there>
This is how we do it.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

Andy
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There is away to balance the wheels on the vehicle using a rotation drum to spin the wheel, then there is a ring that clamps on the wheel that indicates how much weight. The only place I have seen these are big truck shops and some older tire shops. We have one but the strobe is broken and it is so old we can no longer get parts for it. Keep going to sales and hoping to find one for parts.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote