Old 07-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can never ask too many questions on this forum - and - you can never ask the same questions too many times - so ask away and keep asking until we get an answer that makes sense to you.

Soo you may have answered my question before - are you removing the floor? What frame repairs are needed? The answer is yes you need to remove the belly to do any frame work - I'm on my 4th Airstream (long story - not intended) and I've pulled the belly on all of them. First three I was able to reuse - this one I will not be able to reuse - too many pieces. I would not weld any pieces back together - no matter how cheap he is, you can probably get all new sheet aluminum for the same money and it will look much better too. I've never used any special rivets for the belly - just good ol Ace Hardware aluminum rivets. I also use stainless steel screws in areas where I think I'll need to remove the belly - like around plumbing.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master
I will post a photo that shows the difference between regular pop rivets and marine pop rivets. It can explain the difference better then I can. I have used them on aluminum boats for patch work below the water line and they didn't leak at all. Here is a link to where you can find them as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa r.gif
Views:	231
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	7830  

Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Originally Posted by Ken J

Soo you may have answered my question before - are you removing the floor? What frame repairs are needed?
Not sure. We have an appointment (2nd visit) with the DMV to pick up the plates. Before we even picked up the trailer, I went online and bought specialized plates and ordered them to be picked up from a different location that didn't have enough parking for the truck/trailer combo. So we went to a DMV with lots of parking, got it inspected, weighed, registered, and now all I have to do is to go to DMV that has the plates, show them the papers, pay the fees and hopefully get my plates.

But we want to keep the trailer towable until we are holding those plates in our hands because we know the DMV will need to see something on the trailer if we put it up on jacks or make it otherwise immovable....D. M (urphy's) V. law. If we get the plates first, nothing will go wrong.

When I know more, I"ll post pix and ask you those billion questions! I appreciate the input. I'm excited to take the next step.

"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
1976 31' Sovereign
Salmon , Idaho

I'm working on a similar project, does anyone have a source for the underbelly aluminum, other than airstream @ $4.30 a sqft?

stevedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Try here. Airparts Inc. Homepage You'll probably want .025 5052 H32
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Waterloo , Iowa
belly pan aluminum section sizes

Upon working on my belly pans I find the width of the existing pans to be 601/2". It is impossible to find anything this wide. How have you solved this problem? If in shorter sections I can get 48" x12' from aircraft aluminum but would appreciate others input on the best way to do this.

robertel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My plan has been to use 48" wide pieces cross-wise. I actually bought some pieces cut to the correct length a while ago with this in mind but have not yet installed them. The one "gotcha" is that I will either have to add some cross-wise narrow strips to act as overlapping for the joints or I will need to overlap the actual belly pan sheets themselves at places where there may not actually be frame cross-members to attach to. This is because the cross pieces of the frame are pretty narrow places to attach the belly pan pieces. Also if I overlap the actual sheets then the effective width will be less than 48" which means that the seams will not necessarily fall at the cross members of the frame.

I hope this helps,

Only he who attempts the ridiculous can achieve the impossble.
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
WBCCI 8562
1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
I might have to replace the belly pan I mine. I was considering using a mobile home aluminum roof material, have used it before for RV roofs. They will cut it to any size you want. The present belly pan is BRITTLE, fractures when hit. Also how does one handle that bend near the rear bath???

Jim in Pima Az, enjoying our 1975 31 ft Airstream Sovereign
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote