Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Texas
Dropping belly pan

On my '57 Caravanner, I need to drop my belly pan without gutting the interior and taking the interior panels out, so I can see the state of the frame and perhaps wire brush it and paint it from underneath.

Can the belly pan be removed without removing the subfloor and interior panels?
travis90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes, from underneath and it’s NOT fun. Wear protective gear including a respirator rated for Hantavirus, particles, and other stuff. Eye protection, a set of coveralls, and gloves.

Generally the pan comes down by drilling out the rivets that hold it up. Do be careful. Critters make nests in there.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Texas
It looks like the belly pan can’t be removed though from the outside without cutting it off. Am I right? The top edge is in between the outer skin and the subfloor inside the trailer.
travis90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis90 View Post
It looks like the belly pan can’t be removed though from the outside without cutting it off. Am I right? The top edge is in between the outer skin and the subfloor inside the trailer.
In originally assembling, the belly pan was placed and riveted to the C channel. Then the exterior skin was installed overlapping the edge of the belly pan at the C channel and riveted through the edge of the belly pan into the C channel. If it were me and I was just trying to see the condition of the frame, I would cut out a section of belly pan, pull out the insulation and see what it looks like. (Also wearing proper PPE gear like mentioned). You could also neatly cut the belly pan a foot or so inboard and drop the entire center. If you have deteriorated frame members, which wouldn’t surprise me, the entirety may have to come off to access for rework. I know you hate to hear it. Someone may come up with a better idea. Good luck. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis90 View Post
Can the belly pan be removed without removing the subfloor and interior panels?
I don't remember who posted this drawing...I keep it in my files so I remember how the AS is put together. I would go with Bubba's suggestion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SeQ5.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	299719

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Belly pans were installed to keep the dirt out of the subfloor insulation and maybe hide the frame some. They are not a structural member of the trailer. They are fairly easy to remove. Yep, it's a real dirty job.

My 66 exterior skins wrapped around and mated to the flat belly pan. They did not have to come off. My 86 has separate wraps. I don't know how the 57s were built.

New belly aluminum is readily available. Installing it is a lot of work. But even an old retired guy can do it.

Here is a photo to whet your appetite for a little well aged mouse poop.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Belly Pan Rear (Small).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	299737  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote