Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Oxford , Michigan
Belly removal on '74 Overlander

Hello, one piece of the aluminum sheet is between the axel brackets and the frame I guess. I am trying to pull it out but it does not move. Does anybody know if I have to remove the axels to get this sheet out?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Udodeschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
It shouldn't be necessary, but it's tough with the axles in there. I tore mine into several pieces to remove it. I was planning on replacing it anyway. The axle brackets get pretty darn close but didn't actually pinch it on mine. YMMV.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado. Just judging from your questions, I'll bet you in the midst of a big project renewing your Overlander.

Yes, the belly pan aluminum is installed before the axles at the factory. The aluminum belly pan is sandwiched between the frame rail and the axle bracket. The weight of the trailer is on these axle brackets.

I installed a new belly pan on my son's 69 Globetrotter and did not drop the axle. I cut the belly pan aluminum about 4" in front of the axle and about the same 4" behind the axle. I placed the new aluminum under the axle but over the old aluminum. Then I riveted the new aluminum to the old piece.

I replaced the belly pan aluminum on his trailer as the rivets corroded through the aluminum and the belly pan literally fell off. The purpose of the belly pan is to keep the insulation in place, and protect the water tanks and plumbing from splash water while towing. The belly pan is not a structural part of the trailer.

Hope this answers your question okay.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Belly Pan 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	271055  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
You don't have to remove the axles, but it is not easy to get it out because it has to slide almost perfectly straight to get it out otherwise it twists and binds on the sides. Look for blavk sealant along the outer edges, this can hold it in as well, need to scrape it out to loosen it. Some Chanel locks can help grip it to pull it out.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
I had this problem and got help here. All you need to do is loosen all the axle bolts then jack up the trailer just so the wheels are off the ground just a little. This will allow the axles to drop just a bit and you can pull the belly pan out easily. This worked perfect for my 73 safari
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udodeschl View Post
Hello, one piece of the aluminum sheet is between the axel brackets and the frame I guess. I am trying to pull it out but it does not move. Does anybody know if I have to remove the axels to get this sheet out?

The original axles on my '67 Overlander had wooden shims between the Henschen axle brackets and the belly pan with the belly pan sandwiched between the frame and shims. New Dexter axles had 1" higher brackets so we let the weight rest on them, clamping the belly pan tightly. It never occurred to me to change that as I regard the clamped belly pan to be a plus. If I ever need to remove it I will just take a Dremel tool and gently trim around the axle bracket and leave the bit of sheet metal in there unless I have to remove the axles for some other reason.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Oxford , Michigan
Thank you very much everybody for the advice. I will cut most of it out and I will try to get it out as a small piece. If not I will drop the axel.

This project started as a just do some interior work. Then i took all the interior out, after that I found a lot of mouse crap. Now I removed the walls and the smelly insulation and I worked my way through a rust through back end. Which I get replaced tomorrow. I removed the belly. I guess I am at a point to replace everything and redo the whole trailer.

Udodeschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udodeschl View Post
Thank you very much everybody for the advice. I will cut most of it out and I will try to get it out as a small piece. If not I will drop the axel.

This project started as a just do some interior work. Then i took all the interior out, after that I found a lot of mouse crap. Now I removed the walls and the smelly insulation and I worked my way through a rust through back end. Which I get replaced tomorrow. I removed the belly. I guess I am at a point to replace everything and redo the whole trailer.

That's how it starts!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Many of us are victims of the "slippery slope", falling ever more deeply into the abyss of Airstream renovations, me included. There was a thread I followed called "replacing the shower pan, please help". Marco slipped quite a ways down the slope, but did a good job on his renovation.

I think you will find these forums very useful in your various projects on your Overlander.

Here is what I think is an mid sixties overlander. A friend sent the picture, I didn't see the trailer in person.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1609 Overlander Britt Casey.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	271344  
Old 09-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Many of us are victims of the "slippery slope", falling ever more deeply into the abyss of Airstream renovations, me included. There was a thread I followed called "replacing the shower pan, please help". Marco slipped quite a ways down the slope, but did a good job on his renovation.

I think you will find these forums very useful in your various projects on your Overlander.

Here is what I think is an mid sixties overlander. A friend sent the picture, I didn't see the trailer in person.

David
My '67 Overlander has the frameless windows but the kitchen window is wider.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Marcos thread always gives me a good chuckle. Such a good sport!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I think you are right. This may be a Trade Wind, not an Overlander. There is only "2" foot difference between the two trailers. Here is a photo of my Trade Wind and it does have a small window in the galley.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	271676