Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I would suggest trapping water in the belly pan is not a good idea. Insulation gets soaked and corrosion (such as frame rust) and mold growth are supported.

Here is something I posted recently, "A number of years ago, I drilled into the belly pan on our trailer (to mount something) and water came out. This was after a couple of months of dry sunny weather during which the trailer had not been used or washed. I assumed it was water that had collected during a prior trip. I then drilled a number of 1/8 inch holes in the low spots of the belly pan and had water run out of several. I left the holes for later drainage and, in subsequent work on the trailer, have seen no water in the belly pan.

Do my little holes let water in? Probably, but it can drain right back out."

Water can get into the belly pan in any number of ways. Why not help it get back out?

Tim

Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I am intrigued with your idea regarding marine clam shell vents. I am not familiar with this item. Does it employ a one-way flow mechanism?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There's a link above. No valve. The mouth is pointed to the rear, so there is a venturi effect while driving. In theory anyway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Definitely a good idea, but not easily summed up in a few sentences. A Google search for "Airstream bumper leak" or something along those lines should bring up some good threads.
I haven't had any water found in my compartments or bumper storage yet; been too dry here so far. But....
On my previous Hi Lo ,I found pools of water in the two storage bins as well as the bumper storage.So..
Where the water pooled, I drilled 1/4" holes.
The water drained out, and never filled again.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Did the small drain holes in last rv..a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel. Saw drips one day..then discovered the rotted area on belly pan. Found cause to be leak around rubber grommet at tank on fresh water fill hose. That was the best built camper ever but it can still happen. Drains/vents are good preventive maintenance. We don't know what lurks in the belly. These are good ideas here and I will do the AS next. Last time I drilled small holes and glued small pcs of screen over them.
Dave
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"great idea with those clamshell vents". I'll second, third, or however many those. Those were nice and cheap.

I put some 1/8" holes in the bottom of my fresh water tank pan for your reason, sprayed them with some zinc to protect the steel lip newly exposed.

I thought of using those soffit vents as well but the sides stick up into the belly so you have to be sure the lip isn't super tight because that's where water will have to exit unless it gets to an inch or so high.

I also had a few spots where I just drilled some 1/8" holes in low spots.

I think the clam shells with some metal screen between them and skin is a great idea, think I'll borrow that one. Thanks dznf0g.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The seems in the belly pan should be enough to drain it. Replace the fibreglass with mineral wool (like Roxul) which is hydrophobic - won't retain water.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
The seems in the belly pan should be enough to drain it. Replace the fibreglass with mineral wool (like Roxul) which is hydrophobic - won't retain water.
Probably. The clam shells are really intended to increase airflow and evaporation, rather than drains. When I have seen water exiting the belly, it has always been on the sides where it laps over the lower banana wrap. Any notice of water in the pan should send you on a relentless search for source and repair. I would never rely on drains as a fix, only an indication of a problem. Drains should only be used as a notification of a problem, IMO.
Also, the newer ASes don't have pink glass insulation in the belly. They have Reflectix. But that can hold water between it and the floor.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
"great idea with those clamshell vents". I'll second, third, or however many those. Those were nice and cheap.

I put some 1/8" holes in the bottom of my fresh water tank pan for your reason, sprayed them with some zinc to protect the steel lip newly exposed.

I thought of using those soffit vents as well but the sides stick up into the belly so you have to be sure the lip isn't super tight because that's where water will have to exit unless it gets to an inch or so high.

I also had a few spots where I just drilled some 1/8" holes in low spots.

I think the clam shells with some metal screen between them and skin is a great idea, think I'll borrow that one. Thanks dznf0g.
1) they won't be that tight inserted into thin sheet aluminum
2) The ones I got had slots in the collar that goes into the hole. I'd slot one which don't already have them.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Looking at those louvered screen vents again, those alone if fastened to the belly pan look like they'd keep the water out going down road. Trimming of the collar would be all that's needed to let water into them from the belly pan.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Looking at those louvered screen vents again, those alone if fastened to the belly pan look like they'd keep the water out going down road. Trimming of the collar would be all that's needed to let water into them from the belly pan.
I though the same thing. I didn't find those when I did my search several years ago. Mine are just small plastic collared units with screen embedded in the plastic when it was molded. No louvers, thus the clam shells.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I got rid of the plate in the process of fixing the rear end and floor problems. You remove the plate so water sheds just like it does on the sides. You can also put the compartment lid back on with a piece of 1" angle welded between the rear frame rails. The bottom skin that forms the bottom of the compartment can also be replaced with a separate section of metal. This also prevents any water that gets into the compartment from ending up under the trailer.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
"Getting rid of bumper plate compartment leaks is a good idea as well."

How is this done?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
While larger in size, a standard return air grille from Lowe's could also be used along with aluminum screen to cover a small hole or two. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468906481.403457.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	267233
Old 07-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
These would be an easy solution too at 4.5" square, but they are plastic so they might not hold up as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468906789.391918.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	267234