Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Flagstaff , Arizona
Belly Pan Replacement

Greetings

I had to remove an extremely rotted belly pan on a 1979 31 foot Sovereign that covered both rear water tanks (Brown & black). Any idea where we can get a new one?

Or as a last resort construct one? What gauge steel would we use?

Thanks
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
LEONARD , Texas
I'm no help but also looking for the same sort of thing for my 65.
reddoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wolfie & reddoor any airstream dealer can sell you the aluminium in the right width to do a one piece belly pan. The roll comes 5.5 ft wide and in any length you need. It is $4.78 per sqft. Another option would be to get 4x8 sheets and lay them width wise using as many shhets as you would need to go the length you need. This method would require you to make interlocking seams to join the sections.
Airparts sells 4x8 sheets for $2.0625 per sqft for 3003 and $3.9375 per sqft for 2024.
Aircraft supplies aluminum sheet 2024T3 4130 steel tubing Airparts inc - Aircraft construction supplies
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Semantics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I had to remove an extremely rotted belly pan on a 1979 31 foot Sovereign that covered both rear water tanks (Brown & black). Any idea where we can get a new one?

Or as a last resort construct one? What gauge steel would we use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor View Post
I'm no help but also looking for the same sort of thing for my 65.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Wolfie & reddoor any airstream dealer can sell you the aluminium in the right width to do a one piece belly pan.
I think what Wolfie & reddoor are talking about are actually the black/grey tank pans...not really the belly pan. The black/grey tank pans help support the weight of the black & grey tanks...the belly pan is large flat sheet of aluminum that covers over the tank pans and the whole bottom of the trailer and the resource wasagachris posted is good...

I don't know of anybody that stocks black/grey tank pans - we had ours made by an HVAC shop to our specs for our '64 GT Maxwell. We used either 20 or 18 gauge galvanized material - sorry, I don't recall which. You can see pics in my "Maxwell gets some TLC" thread around post #30.
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Flagstaff , Arizona
Talking

Yes!!!

I am talking about the grey/black water pan. I think possibly, maybe, hopefully we found a local sheet metal place in Phoenix that may be able to do something for us.

Still new with the terminology so bear with me. Thanks for the assist...
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Yes!!!

I am talking about the grey/black water pan. I think possibly, maybe, hopefully we found a local sheet metal place in Phoenix that may be able to do something for us.

Still new with the terminology so bear with me. Thanks for the assist...
If your shop does a good job, please let me know as we are in need of a new box too.
We just purchased a 1973 31' Sovereign, and are also located in Phoenix.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a manual for our trailer, do you? It would be nice to be able to identify some of this stuff or at least know how it comes apart.
Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote