Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
belly pan removal problem

I have a 62 Globetrotter and I am replacing the floor. I want to try and do this with the shell left on if possible. I want to drop the belly pan skins to give me greater access to the bottom of the trailer. I drilled out the rivets and the skin wouldn'nt come down. I removed the inside wall skins and found that the bellypan skin is folded over the top of the U channel. So how am I to pull it down and out. I have read several threads on dropping the bellypan skins but I don't think I have read about this problem. I'm sure it was built this way because everything is covered with that black sealant Airstream uses. I will be greatful for any help. Brad
Check the next post for a picture
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01776.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	26164This is the U channel and the folded over bellypan skin
Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
I have a '61 Tradewind and started dropping the pans as well. I started on the back right pan and all the rivets are out.... it won't budge. I hope someone knows the answer to your question cuz I think I might have the same problem.
craig
2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
I have a 62 Globetrotter and I am replacing the floor. I want to try and do this with the shell left on if possible. I want to drop the belly pan skins to give me greater access to the bottom of the trailer. I drilled out the rivets and the skin wouldn'nt come down. I removed the inside wall skins and found that the bellypan skin is folded over the top of the U channel. So how am I to pull it down and out. I have read several threads on dropping the bellypan skins but I don't think I have read about this problem. I'm sure it was built this way because everything is covered with that black sealant Airstream uses. I will be greatful for any help. Brad
Check the next post for a picture
The proper way to replace the floor is to remove the shell.

Scabbing a floor in places, weakens the semi-monocoque design.

With the shell off, removing the folded over underbelly, becomes a piece of cake.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
question

Are you going to keep these bellypan pieces and re-use them? If not, cut them out and keep them as templates for the new ones. I remember having a lot of problems with one certain corner and after much chopping and cutting with shears, I found some hidden bolts and rivets that were holding it on. I wish I could be of more help besides "cut it" though. I also wish I could remember where those hidden buggers were. Our belly pan was a disaster so we knew we wouldn't reuse it.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
Well, I pulled off the interior panel and found the same thing.

Don't know how to post pics yet. Thanks Andy for the info!
http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=3090
craig
2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
From the many threads on the floor repairs ,its known that hidden rivits hold the belly pan on in area around the coach.When assembled new,the belly pan
is first attached over the bottom up to the C channel and rivited on .then the shell is installed over it and the bottom goes over the edges of the belly pan .
that then is rivited in place to the C channel so it will be hard to get the hidden rivits removed .Bryan Burkharts Airstream book has great photos showing the assembly of these early vintage trailers ,so you can see how
they did it.I don't know however how many initial belly pan rivits there would
actually be to remove though.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The proper way to replace the floor is to remove the shell.
Yes, I forgot to mention we removed the outer shell first. And slicing away is not the recommended way to do this. We are replacing the lower inner skins so we did cut those a little and peel them up to get at the rivets etc. Please don't do this unless it's a last resort!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thanks Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the quick response. I was trying to avoid removing the shell but the more I look at the more sense it makes. I will just have to enlist some help at critical times. Thanks Brad
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Loco Airstreamer

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
OK, I give! Where do we find the replacement belly skin? I am about 75% of the way to a full monty and need to get back into the bottom to finish removing the shower base. My belly is corroded around every rivet and while I'm at it ... Hey does anyone local need a shower/bath unit?
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Shannon,
don't know if you were ever answered on a source for aluminum. Go to thevap.com and click on the list of sponsors on the right. I think its usatco.com but not positive.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
In the Twin Cities, member markdoane found the least expensive aluminum at a steel supply warehouse. I ended up using Metal Supermarket. Original belly skin was .025" and they were going to have a very hard time getting that in, so I settled for .032". Even that had to be brought from another location. They look at you funny when you want something that thin!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
In the Twin Cities, member markdoane found the least expensive aluminum at a steel supply warehouse. . . .
Last time I went to Garelick's they were out of the cheap stuff. Still good prices, but they only have what they have. Their stock changes pretty quickly. Didn't have any 2024-T3 last time I checked.

I used .032 for the belly. It's pretty bulletproof.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don, as I recall I paid as much as 50% more than you. Metal Supermarkets can be a reasonable resouce after you've blanked on other metal supply and contractor sources.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote