Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Belly Pan Removal

We own a 1985, 25' Soverign. We have had it for 3 years and have been very happy with everything so far. We knew there would be work involved doing repairs and with attempting renos. There have been a few speedbumps but we have completed putting in a new dinette, new floor, kitchen counter and sink, new curtains and some other minor fixes here and there. Now comes the big job. Replacing the belly pan. On our way home from the Oregon coast two weeks ago, a portion of the belly pan that was not fastened to the frame peeled away in the wind and wound up scraping along the road. We crossed the border and I wound up taking the entire section off. When we got home I removed the forward section as well. This was a job I was planning for next spring but it has come up a little sooner. I will also be replacing the water tank cover since it has some corrosion issues also.

What I am curious about is, any fixes the forum members can suggest with regards to the rotting cross member shown in the pic. I am thinking about adding a piece of angle iron and bolting them together but any other suggestions are appreciated.

The trailer is up on blocks and gives me lots of room to manuever so I'm not concerned about not being able to operated under the trailer.

Thanks in advance and as I mentioned any advice to not only the cross member question but any other advice is welcomed.

Tim

PS: the first picture is nearer the back of the trailer and is good shape for now. I only need to add some new fasteners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 144.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	109034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 145.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	109035  

Name:	Picture 146.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	109036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 147.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	109037  

timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
Frame repairs....

Here's a picutre of some outriggers which I pieced up out of 16 guage steel with new 1/8" thick steel angle to receive the load leverlers. Where there was enough of the original outriggered left, I riveted to it. The outrigger that was completely replaced was bolted to the frame. The aluminum piece at the rear of the wheel well is to prevent future rust. The outrigger had failed and permitted road spray into the cavity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curb side rear - 3.3.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	109048  
gonorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Tim,

I replaced the belly pan & my son/husband repaired some outriggers on my 1986 Sovereign. I had a thread about it called "Terrified of the bellypan!" You might find some useful stuff in that thread. Have a grand time!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote