Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Belly pan--Opinions?!?

The ground is frozen so I could get underneath to film Icky's belly. Have a look at the photos. Offer advice/opinions/options please. Let me know if you would like other photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly axel.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	9897   Click image for larger version

Name:	belly crunch.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	9898  

Name:	belly frame whatchamacallit.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	9899   Click image for larger version

Name:	belly front.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	9900  

Name:	belly tear.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	9901   Click image for larger version

Name:	belly, axel curbside.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	9902  

Name:	belly, step cove.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	9903   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame whatchamacallit belly.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	9904  

Name:	The aqua patch.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	9905   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel well axel.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9906  

Old 12-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking What opinions?

Eljay,
Given the age of it...I would say it doesn't look too bad Slightly worse than mine Are you wanting to know if you should replace it? I do plan to replace mine eventually, I will probably do it in sections and run them from side to side starting at the rear and lapping so the wind doesn't catch it, seeing how the larger continous front to back sheets are a pain to handle and harder to come by. I would defintely be suspicous of possible frame rot and rust in the rear by the tanks, mine looks similar to that and I know that at least some of the angle steel is rusted thru or missing FWIW I am not replacing any of mine at the moment, just patching as needed so I can get back on the road ASAP

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Flinton , where we park it
Have done it!

We have replaced the underbelly of our Argosy from the tanks forward... Glad we did .. found a second outrigger that needed to be replaced and Hubby was able to do all the welding here at home.. with the help of another forum friend ..a new underbelly was put on..able to fix the front floor rot also the step. was a good job done.. By the way if anyone else has taken the underbelly off don't be surprised to see 2x4 in the frame in the center.. Have found the leak it was in the wing window at the top.. and it is fixed.. The Argosy is in inside storage awaiting the spring so she can be painted , new floor, and new coverings.. and we are will be able to travel.. Marvin and Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You might drop the piece in the back to check out the frame. Otherwise looks like you only need patches. If you take off the belly pan you will look at the frame. This often results in a Full Monty. ie, maybe I'll paint the frame, ect, ect, ect,
Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #5

belly pan replacement

Hi all, my first post.
We just bought a 1970 Ambassador that "sort of" survived a flood that took the trailer through a nightmare of an experience literally bobbing up and down on its end up against a tree. Oddly, the only remnant found of the other non-airstream that was parked right next to it, was a wheel 3 miles down steam. Anyway. ours will need a trememdous amount of work, and the underbelly has us a little bit awed. It's gone. Once the mud is scraped out of the interior, we will gut it down to the frame and then put the fiberglass panels back in place with new insulation. It will be (she said with a hopeful glint in her eye) a "clean pallet to restore. We have several other travel trailers that we are restoring, but this is our first airstream. It is very shiny after its big bath.
I'll be looking through all of the previous posts and looking for info on replacing the belly pan. Suggestions and well wishes are welcome.
Thanks,
Thor