Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Port Orchard , Washington
Belly Pan Games

Alright, I have gotten under my Globe Trotter for the first time. I was looking at what I think you all call 'banana strips', those blue and aluminum strips that cover the rivets for the belly pan. What I see is a ton of very nicely done rivets. I know I could drill them out and completely remove the belly pan. Not sure I do want to take the shell off completely now. I am working by the side of my house on a gravel bed with not much room to move and I have an idea I wanted to pass by you all for advice.

I do want to get whatever is under there cleaned out, also remove the floors and attend to any welding. What if I cut the belly pan underneath where the red line is....
Then do the same from the wheel well to the front. Then cut out the floors above, address any welding issues being sure to protect any aluminum around the edges. Put in new tanks and piece in the new ply wood. Then make strips to repair the cuts in the belly pan to rivet back together later. I think it can be done. Does that sound simplistic to those of you who have walked this road? Does my overall plan seem to make sense?

Thanks - Ken
Banjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Move the jackstand.........put it under the vertical plates next to axle
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Will do. I did put the jack on those vertical supports. Read that somewhere else.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
That is the way I do a Pan. Also if the rolled edges are damaged, usually behind the wheel and the door, it is simple to remove several rivets and slide a small repair piece in and reattach.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
That is what I am going to do. I am glad to hear that it works for you. I just took out the first plywood sheet that was over the black tank. From above I can see that with the middle section out I should be able to clean and paint the frame.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
question, how do you reattach the belly pan after it is cut ? I will have to cut mine to access the galvanized pan under the black tank. Also- can the belly pan be pop riveted?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote