Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Banana Wrap/Reflector Removal

The banana wraps on our "74" Tradewind are in bad shape. I'm going to remove them and try using the "shotput" method of repair. Both banana wraps have a reflector on them. Is there a certain way they need to be removed? Does the reflector come off with the wrap? Thanks!

Bob Leopold
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banana Wrap.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	172848  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If they are screwed on you should remove the plastic and will see the screws. If the plastic doesn't seem to be removable they are probably glued on. Use a heat gun. They look like an industrial hair dryer if you're not sure. Carefully warm it up and with a thin putty knife slip it under to remove it. Double sided tape, available at most any automotive parts store, will put it back on. If the plastic has deteriorated you maybe should look to replace.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The reflector is glued onto the pot-metal mount with some kind of double-sided tape. You can pry them out with a screwdriver if you aren't worried about breaking them. I bought replacement reflectors that are the exact same size as the originals at Northern Tool for a couple of bucks. The pot metal mount is pop-riveted to the banana wrap and will come off with the wrap.

My wraps were pretty beat up also. Looked like a PO tried putting a stabilizer jack under two of the wraps, so not only were they dented, one actually had a rip in it where the jack head cut in. I was able to get my wraps pretty straight using a big rubber mallet and a bag of sand. Had to use an English Wheel to repair the really badly creased/torn sections.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote