Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
wivell's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Smock , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Banana Wrap Cost ?

I'm looking to replace the two front "banana wraps" on my recently acquired 1970 Sovereign - one missing the other really dented.
Anyone have an idea what the cost will be?
I've spoken with someone locally who can fabricate from scratch. He makes parts for airplanes with an English wheel so I'm pretty confident in his abilities.

I thought I read on another thread here that the only thing available from the factory is a fibergalss piece. Is that true?
__________________

__________________
wivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,826
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
you might be able to repair the one you have, see here

http://www.airforums.com/forum...air-24690.html

you're english wheel guy can do one heck of a better job than I did. I don't know about availability of new banana skins, but I found the metal to be an alloy that is very malleable.
__________________

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,844
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivell
I'm looking to replace the two front "banana wraps" on my recently acquired 1970 Sovereign - one missing the other really dented.
Anyone have an idea what the cost will be?
I've spoken with someone locally who can fabricate from scratch. He makes parts for airplanes with an English wheel so I'm pretty confident in his abilities.

I thought I read on another thread here that the only thing available from the factory is a fibergalss piece. Is that true?

The replacement banana wraps are made from plastic.

Depending on which one you need, the cost runs plus or minus $100.00 each, plus shipping.

Only a select few dealers carry them in stock.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
wivell's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Smock , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
you might be able to repair the one you have, see here

http://www.airforums.com/forum...air-24690.html

you're english wheel guy can do one heck of a better job than I did. I don't know about availability of new banana skins, but I found the metal to be an alloy that is very malleable.
I guess I need to determine what's important - originality or functionality.
I'm guessing the plastic pieces are cheaper than having aluminum ones recreated. I suppose I could paint them silver metallic - maybe I should just go for the new look of all black below the belt line.

I'm completely missing the streetside piece. Just acquired the trailer 2 weeks ago - you get what you pay for. I picked up the trailer for less than $1 K.
__________________
wivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,844
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivell
I guess I need to determine what's important - originality or functionality.
I'm guessing the plastic pieces are cheaper than having aluminum ones recreated. I suppose I could paint them silver metallic - maybe I should just go for the new look of all black below the belt line.

I'm completely missing the streetside piece. Just acquired the trailer 2 weeks ago - you get what you pay for. I picked up the trailer for less than $1 K.
All replacement banana wraps are plastic.

Actually, the plastic replacements take more punishment than the soft aluminum originals.

They can be painted whatever color you wish, however, it is wise to apply a primer coat first.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
wivell's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Smock , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Might be going the plastic route.....

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I stopped by the Airstream factory in Jackson Center on Tuesday. I was in Cincinnati on business for 2 days and decided to swing by.

I liked the looks of the black plastic on the lower portion as opposed to the aluminum.

What's the belly pan on the new trailers made of - aluminum?
I didn't crawl under to look.
__________________
wivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,844
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivell
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I stopped by the Airstream factory in Jackson Center on Tuesday. I was in Cincinnati on business for 2 days and decided to swing by.

I liked the looks of the black plastic on the lower portion as opposed to the aluminum.

What's the belly pan on the new trailers made of - aluminum?
I didn't crawl under to look.
The banana wraps must be painted.

The underbelly wrap is prefinished aluminum. The color Airstream uses is called "Charcoal".

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
wivell's Avatar
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Smock , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Painting

Thanks Andy.
__________________

__________________
wivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polishing...approx cost? Drew Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 10 03-31-2014 10:37 PM
Cost to restore a gutted Airstream Draco General Interior Topics 28 02-18-2013 11:17 PM
removing banana wrap dents pinkflamingoes Belly Pans & Banana Wraps 7 06-24-2006 08:54 PM
cost of '81 Excella new? jaiman General Motorhome Topics 7 11-09-2002 05:49 AM
Whats Does It Cost You For Plates On Your RV? 68 Suburban Our Community 18 11-08-2002 08:17 PM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click