Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Banana wrap

So I need new banana wrap on my 68 Overlander...I may be able to beat them out to decent condition and bondo and paint...but in case I cannot, I want to have my plan b in place, which apparently is buying the plastic banana wraps? I see the banana wraps for sale at Out Of Doors Mart...but they seem to only carry one size? Will these plastic ones work on any airstream?
Thanks in advance for any help !
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Hi mk,

I just repaired, repainted and reinstalled both front banana wraps on our ‘73 Argosy.

You may already know this; but the way to mold them back into shape is to lay a bag of playsand on the ground, put the banana wrap dent on the playsand, and use a Boce Ball and slowly push and roll the dents out. The more patient you are and the more time spent, the better they will look. The aluminum used is quite malleable. Ours were pretty smashed up- but I am very pleased with how they turned out, with only minor waves still showing but the original shape fully restored
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy man View Post
Hi mk,

I just repaired, repainted and reinstalled both front banana wraps on our ‘73 Argosy.

You may already know this; but the way to mold them back into shape is to lay a bag of playsand on the ground, put the banana wrap dent on the playsand, and use a Boce Ball and slowly push and roll the dents out. The more patient you are and the more time spent, the better they will look. The aluminum used is quite malleable. Ours were pretty smashed up- but I am very pleased with how they turned out, with only minor waves still showing but the original shape fully restored
Wow...bocce ball hard enuf to do that huh?
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:13 AM   #4

1968 30' Sovereign
Yantis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy man View Post
Hi mk,

Thanks for that info! I was about to purchase an English wheel, but I’ll first try the sand nice on my 68 sob. Thanks
Mwahler is offline   Reply With Quote