Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seattle , Washington
1985 31' Excella Belly Pan Questions

Hi all, we can see some serious rot in the frame looking in from the bumper locker. I'd like to be as minimally invasive as possible. Can anyone advise or show photos of how to approach removing the belly pan - can I do it in sections or does it all have to come out? Anything specific to the '85 I should know?
Thanks for any help!
Eugiepayset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Belly Pan

Hmm first thing first is what is causing the rot. Has to be a water leak somewhere, and if you can see rusty frame rot your sub-floor must have severe water damage also.
I just redone the front area and the bedroom area/ cargo hold on our 93 Excella.
I did not remove the entire belly pan, only what I needed to do my repairs, on the cargo area I removed the four screws holding the rear bumper on, drilled out the four rivets (1/8'') that hold the plastic bay for the sewer hose and it cam out. I then changed to a 3/16'' drill bit and began drilling out the rivets that hold the belly pan up. I just kept drilling the rivets and letting the belly pan down until I got back far enough that I found framing that wasnt rusted. Be careful with the belly pan. I found that mine was very brittle in some areas.

Pictures of the area that you are concerned about would be a great help. There are many threads on this forum concerning belly pan. Pictures and questions will get you lots of peoples thoughts and recommendations
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	132142  
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the advice. Here's a photo. Since my question, I've discovered the sub floor at the front has water damage too. Its not completely soft so I'm hoping Rot Doctor CPES will save it. I'm trying to figure out the source though. Seems it's through the battery doors. Any hints on sealing those? Should I be thinking about taking off the inner skin panels? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2436459226.png
Views:	140
Size:	817.9 KB
ID:	132550   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1202505222.png
Views:	146
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	132551  

Name:	image-985206214.png
Views:	179
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	132552  
Eugiepayset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #4

1989 34' Excella
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugiepayset
Hi all, we can see some serious rot in the frame looking in from the bumper locker. I'd like to be as minimally invasive as possible. Can anyone advise or show photos of how to approach removing the belly pan - can I do it in sections or does it all have to come out? Anything specific to the '85 I should know?
Thanks for any help!
I have the same corrosion in my '89 34' Excella. My corrosion was the result of a salt water environment. The bumper locker is not sealed, and any residue from the sewer line is corrosive, which adds to the problem. My unit had a failed valve in the commode that created a leak that migrated to the stern of the unit. I would be surprised if I did not have staining on the sub flooring. CPES is a good choice for preserving the water damaged flooring. I am suggesting that the corrosion in the bumper locker and the damage to the flooring are probably due to 2 exclusive events.
tlingan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, belly pan