Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Steps not properly supported in the extended position

We have a 2018 23' International Serenity. Our steps failed and I need to figure out a repair, as we are on a long trip.

Not certain of the correct terms, but in the retracted position, there is an arm on both the forward and rear sides of the steps that extends up and back toward the upper rear corners of the step enclosure. The rear arm has a bolt that passes through it near its end, extending past the inside surface of the arm (see the first picture ... the threads can be seen). The forward arm has a hole for the bolt, but the bolt is missing (see the second picture). When the steps are in their extended position, the rear side of the steps locks in place, but the forward side doesn't due to the missing bolt (see the third picture). If the bolt was in place, it would guide the steps as it moves down the slot, then come to rest in the anchor position.

I suspect the bolt was not properly tightened during assembly, loosened during use, then fell back through the slot into an area that is fully enclosed by aluminum. Recovering the bolt would mean loosening/removing a small aluminum sheet just forward of the steps.

Any way to repair this while on the road?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_One.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	350486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_Two.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	350487  

Name:	Picture_Three.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	350488  
chrisnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Can you just put a bolt and nut in it?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'd call Airstream in Jackson Center and ask them how to remedy, or see if there's a local rv repair shop that would be able to do the fix.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:47 AM   #4
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
We went to JC and had our step repaired. However we do not use the step much after buying this portable entry step as a temporary replacement until fixed. The step has a deep first step which makes exiting the AS much easier. Easy to lift and really solid.

The step fits nicely in the entrance when traveling. Never leave without this step. Only bring down the AS step to clean/lube.

Here is a link to the step:
https://www.amazon.com/High-Country-...ateway&sr=8-33
Old 08-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnancy View Post
We have a 2018 23' International Serenity. Our steps failed and I need to figure out a repair, as we are on a long trip.

Not certain of the correct terms, but in the retracted position, there is an arm on both the forward and rear sides of the steps that extends up and back toward the upper rear corners of the step enclosure. The rear arm has a bolt that passes through it near its end, extending past the inside surface of the arm (see the first picture ... the threads can be seen). The forward arm has a hole for the bolt, but the bolt is missing (see the second picture). When the steps are in their extended position, the rear side of the steps locks in place, but the forward side doesn't due to the missing bolt (see the third picture). If the bolt was in place, it would guide the steps as it moves down the slot, then come to rest in the anchor position.

I suspect the bolt was not properly tightened during assembly, loosened during use, then fell back through the slot into an area that is fully enclosed by aluminum. Recovering the bolt would mean loosening/removing a small aluminum sheet just forward of the steps.

Any way to repair this while on the road?
What I did....used g5 bolt.
When we got home I took it out, screwed a nut down to the shoulder, ground the threads off where it contacts the notch to minimize ware at that point. Removed the nut, applied Loctite blue and re-installed. 8yrs SFSG 👍
I also filed the notch to better fit the bolt.

POI...it was also 8yrs ago that checking the steps and tightening and lubing the pivots became part of the regular maintenance schedule.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2854.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	350511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08869.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	350512  

Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Most (but not all as pointed out above) of the bolts on the step are very custom items. They also aren't very inexpensive. They do fall out / need to be checked for tightness.

One alternative source is to phone around to Airstream dealers. A few have a pretty good parts inventory and can ship a bit faster than JC can. Out of Doors Mart in NC is where I got my set of bolts for the step. It would not surprise me if Colonial in NJ also has the parts ready for fast ship.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
This has happened to me three times. My fix is written up here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ff-127219.html

The access hole made it possible to re-fix the problem on the road. I think I finally fixed it for good by adding some locktite to the bolt.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Had the same thing (nearly) happen to us overnighting at Bennett Spring SP in MO. Released the step and the screw, a wavy washer and slotted nut fell out, fortunately, right below that side of the step. Didn't have an Allen wrench set with us (since added to tool kit) so used some blue Loctite and a small blade screwdriver to set things right until we got home. Un- and re-installed all of the little arm-attaching hardware with Loctite but still periodically check for looseness.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Hi again. We are still on the road and the step you recommended is working well. The only issue is that the two steps are a bit concave which allow puddles to form when it is raining (not a big deal). I plan to replace the missing shoulder bolt after we return home later this week. Thx ...
chrisnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i bolted a 1/2" bolt between the step frame and the AS frame on each side.
That made the step extended much more stable
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What I did....used g5 bolt.
When we got home I took it out, screwed a nut down to the shoulder, ground the threads off where it contacts the notch to minimize ware at that point. Removed the nut, applied Loctite blue and re-installed. 8yrs SFSG 👍
I also filed the notch to better fit the bolt.

POI...it was also 8yrs ago that checking the steps and tightening and lubing the pivots became part of the regular maintenance schedule.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi Bob. Responding to an earlier post because I have this same problem with my 2019. Did you have to remove some of the panels underneath to fix this? If not, how did you get in there to secure the nut? Thanks.
StanA is offline   Reply With Quote