Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Step Outrigger Debacle

What was a minor issue has turned into a major headache. I'm posting with minimal searching or pics because it's late, the trailer is 5hrs away.

The issue is with a 1972 Safari with the original aluminum step. The one with the little "nubbin" lever to the right. It looks like somewhere in there these changed to the ones with the cast bar across the front.

The original issue was that the right hand catch in the track was worn and you had to be pretty particular on how you positioned it or it would pop out. Instead of fixing the track I ordered 2 new outriggers.

The NEW issue is that these out these have clearly changed. The new ones are on and the step is toe high and also not evenly catching. Clearly the latch mechanism mounts are different too.

We have the original left outrigger, but not the right hand one. My welder/father in law thinks he wants to modify the linkages. I'm saying no way after looking at the price of the aluminum step parts.

Any insights from the collective braintrust here on how to make an old step work with these new outriggers?

This thread was the closest I've come across which seems to be a similar problem and parts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f475...on-126750.html

Headed off to check in on progress and work on it this weekend and I'm hoping to find a solution, but I may need to see it first hand.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
This Thread was my exact problem. I wish i would have stuck to the simple fix recommended in it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f475...eps-78455.html

Now the question is why 2 brand new outriggers aren't working out as planned.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Moraga , California
My 1975 Alumunum folding step were stolen. I have some new OEM Airstream steps. How do I access the back of the outriggers in order to attach the nuts to the bolts?
tedgam is offline   Reply With Quote