I read several posts regarding step repair just prior to damaging the steps on my 1965 Caravel
. The step caught a gate post and was bent back at at 20 degrees. Here is how I repaired the steps.
1. I cut the long bolt underneath the step (Caravels have one step) one inch from the left end.
2. Removed the step toward the left after prying out the stud bolts from the sliding grooving.
3. Placed the bent arms in a vice and used a pipe wrench and two large cresent wrenches to slowly straighten the arms to original positions.
(Note: Banging with a hammer will damage the material and cause fractures and not accomplish much.)
4. Used a framing square to align the arms with the sides of the step.
5. Inserted the step on the long rod and pried the arms stud bolts back into the grooves.
6. Welded the rod underneath the step end to end.
7. Made a few alignment adjustments, repainted, and it works fine.
Note: The two main hanging support arms were bent and had to be straightened the same way as the grooved arms.
Good luck on yours.