Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
door step

I have searched but not found much on the door steps. I do not know how many years they used the drop down step like the ones on the 1970s we own. Just wanted to know if any of you sharpe people out there have any cool mods? Thanks
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I'm not sure what your needs are or what you mean by mods, but I have a cheap modification that really extends the useful life of the foldable two step version that appeared on some models as an option. With the second step out, heavy people put a tremendous amount of torque on the step mechanism and can damage the slide rails over time.

One unique way of protecting the step when in the two step configuration is to cut a piece of metal tubing or light weight pipe the approximate length to where it will fit between the back edge of the lower step and the trailer frame above. Put a nut into one end of the tube. Take a hammer and nail and ping the outside to the tubing such that it snugs up the nut you've placed inside it. Insert a round headed bolt into the nut. This allows adjustment of the overall length of the tubing. On the other end of the tubing, take a hack saw and make a cut across the middle of the open end of the tube. Cut about an 1/8" or slightly deeper.

Place the rounded head of the bolt up against the trailer frame and the cut or scored end on the back side of the lower step. Presto, you have an adjustable brace that will stay in place and completely eliminate the torque stresses that are placed upon your step. This solution is cheap and easy to configure and it is easy to store and install.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Early 70 Steps

On my 71 there is a separate 2nd step that is inserted into a square channel along the lines of a receiver hitch. I think the second step was an option. The first step is steel.

On my 73 I have the folding 2nd step. I think the second step here was also an option. These are aluminum.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
My solution to the step problem was simply to get one of those rubbermaid steps. Not an elegant solution by any means. I only wish they came in hot pink to go with the flamingos.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
I thought thats what the square hole was for. I think I will build a second step to carry along with the brace setup to. I did have a worn out step as I got too looking at it the round studs that slide in the slots were shot. They would not stay hooked in the end part because it was shot to. I welded it up and then pryed out the step and drilled out the studs. I was going to just weld in new ones but I taped threads in the holes and just screwed in 7/16 X 1" bolts so I can change them it they ever wear out. Then I tack welded them in place. Thanks for the info, Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
That 2-piece step is not one of Airstream's better ideas. I have a heck of a time getting it set just right and I constantly worry that it's going to break when I (--or someone else) step on it. I'll have to look into the brace idea mentioned above.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
I looking into repairing my two peice step. It will not stay in the nothces when folded out. So when you step on it, it shifts to one side or the other.
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeekalvin
I looking into repairing my two peice step. It will not stay in the nothces when folded out. So when you step on it, it shifts to one side or the other.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by making the notches more pronounced, or deeper. They had worn over time.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
Yes I think that Airstream had a good idea there because mine have lasted 37 years on the 31' with just a little repaire and the ones on our 23' are still working fine. But we got the 23' from the first owner who took it all over the place big time, it was wild to hear where it went and still is in this good of shape.Were of to Baja for 9 days I will check in when we get back Dave
Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
roanoke , Texas
Will you take a pic of your modification? My steps twist to the side because they have worn out the notch in the track.

Thank you.

pb
Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Pix Please???

Hmmm.....Interesting thread....

I have wondered about those "2nd step" foldable jobbies myself... I have seen only two or three on ebay in the last five years.....

I have always wondered why that first step seems a little high, necessitating a second step assembly.... I think Airstream designed a folding scissor type extension of aluminum after 72 or 73 or so, didn't they?? This superceded the detachable insert second step assembly of previous years.

I consider myself to be a fair fabricator, and I think i could design something that would work just fine.... I was thinking of duplicating an original Airstream assembly out of hardened aluminum diamond plate, and add the correct gussets and corner brackets for strength.... But it would hafta fold up, like the original, and be able to stow somewhere, like one of the side compartments too....

I notice that one side of my primary step on my 69 23' Safari is a little worn out and loose....guess I will take it apart in the spring, and see what is worn out.... I'm kinda worried, some day, someone (least of all me) will step up one day, and the step will collapse on that side, and I'll have a lawsuit on my hands!!!

I remember Gramps did not have that optional folding second step assembly with his 69 23'.... He cleverly took an old wooden Coke case (remember those??) and painted it up a nice nautical blue, and put a nice piece of matching blue carpeting on it, and even trimmed it with nice aluminum corner mouldings.....it worked great, and even had the requisite cutout handles to stow it inside the trailer when we broke camp.... I suppose this would be a "Plan B".... but the originality freak that I am, I would surely like to find an original Airstream assy, or duplicate one myself, with a couple design improvements!!

If anyone has a few close up high quality shots of this, it would be greatly appreciated!!! Then it will be "to the drawing board with me"...haha!!

Can anyone post a few fairly good and clear pictures of this doo-hickey???

Goll-ee, I LOVE this forum......Given time, we get ALL our questions and queries answered!!!

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Here's what I did to repair mine. Let me know if you need more info:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...4-post323.html

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote