Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Aluminum vs. Steel Steps

Anyone have any experience with replacing the steel double steps in a new AS with the aluminum steps? Are there any advantage over the steel besides weight and rust resistance? Are they interchangeable? I have a 25' Flying Cloud (2015).

Just curious. I recently bent the steel outriggers a bit going over a hump in the road. I unbolted the steps and bent them back in place. They should work fine, but it got me thinking about a possible replacement if needed. I know Camping World carries a replacement for about $90.00.

Lyle
ltorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am not positive, but think the only AS which now uses the traditional aluminum steps is the Classic series. They would be very expensive to retrofit onto the other models which now use an inexpensive steel step.

I have mixed feelings about the steps. The older aluminum ones were slick, and disappeared nicely into the bellypan area. But they wear, and are fragile and very expensive to replace. They never were as solid nor as wide as the newer metal steps now generally used. They slide in special metal outriggers which wear with time and are prone to rust damage as well as the wear damage. I have spent a fair amount of fiddle time with them, and have never been too impressed with them as a stair. And when they don't latch properly, they can give you a nasty fall.

The new steel steps are ugly, hang down too far and of course can rust. I have already damaged mine on the 2014 FC 20. On the other hand they are much more stable than the old aluminum ones, and if worn or damaged can be replaced for under $100 vs. what could be up to $500 to $1000 for the aluminum ones.

As I grow older, I appreciate the stability and size of the steel steps now used, as well as their low cost and ease of replacement. But they are still ugly and hang down too far.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
. On the other hand they are much more stable than the old aluminum ones, and if worn or damaged can be replaced for under $100 vs. what could be up to $500 to $1000 for the aluminum ones.

I've had both and i agree on the stability factor and ease of opening and closing. If I had a choice i would stick with the steel steps.

>>ron<<
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We have the aluminum steps on our classic. They work flawlessly, and require a monthly shot if silicone to keep everything silky smooth!
Wouldn't trade them for the world. I know the factory store sells them for a ticket around $1500
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Iv'e had both. We had steel in our first Flying Cloud. We had Aluminum in our Classic. Now we have steel again in our new Flying Cloud.

I like the steel. Easier to operate and seem stronger. The Aluminum was difficult to get opened and closed correctly. I learned the trick like everyone else but what a pain. Steel doesn't look as nice but I like it better. Old age I guess...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
I just wish AS had powder coated the steel stairs aluminum instead of black and installed a thin white nylon plate across the forward support bracket to protect from stones.

Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the Classic trailers are the only ones now that have aluminum steps.
They are a little finicky to operate, but they look nice.
I have a little adjustable support that goes under the steps to keep them rigid.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Too bad my 1958 Caravanner is so "outside the box" that I can be of no help in solving many of the problems/threads on this forum, I replaced the steps (which were missing at the time of purchase, happy to say) with a slant ramp. This allows the generator, perched on the A frame, as modified, with drop down bolt on wheels, to be rolled inside to prevent theft. Also allows the wood burning stove, as modified with wheels, to be taken from the cargo area of the Cadillac Escalade EXT and put inside as needed. Also the foldable "little red wagon" when loaded with 1 gallon milk jugs (now water) can be rolled up the ramp. Although not yet in a wheelchair, I may some day appreciate that slant ramp.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
My new steel steps ran aground while backing into a raised spot this week. They carved a chunk out of a concrete step, and survived unscathed. So that kind of sold me on the durability of the steel.
But if the aluminum step doesn't hang down as far, then maybe it would not have run aground and I'd not be typing this now! The steel steps do hang quite a bit.

You should have seen how much work it was to get into this space. We were using a drop hitch to alternately raise and lower the rear of the AS, disconnecting and reconnecting to adjust, as well as raising the TV up on a series of blocks that we had to keep moving under the wheels as we went. Both the tanks in back, and the spare tire cage in front really create clearance issues.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a Classic and fought a curb with aluminum steps and of course the curb won. As a full-timer I followed the forum advice and got steel. Love them and do not miss those finicky steps.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
This outfit sells replacement aluminum treads (AirTreads) that use the stock stair mechanism. They're gorgeous. No idea how much they cost.

Products/Skunkworks
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for Your Insights and Thoughts

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I will stick with the steel steps and if they get damaged beyond repair, I will replace them for under $100. I must admit, they work well. Apparently not a finicky as the aluminum steps of the past, which by the way, run about $300 not including the outriggers needed. By the way, I found my steel steps easy to bend back into place after I unbolted them from my AS. Didn't even need a mallet. Just put my weight into it while holding the whole apparatus at the right angle. Thanks again for your thoughts. They seem to work fine now. I just had to do some touch-up painting from the scrape. I've also adjusted my weight distribution hitch to ride a little higher, or about level now. That should help keep the steps from getting grounded again.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
We've always had aluminum steps

We've always had aluminum steps on each AS we've owned.
if ours were steel, we wouldn't spend $1500 to get aluminum… but, with one foot I can lower or stow one step

We've always had aluminum steps on the three ASs we've owned. If we had steel steps we wouldn't spend $1500 for aluminum… but, with one foot I can lower or stow one step (and use hands for the second step). Pretty slick!
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Much 'slicker' than my last post
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Update

I think grounding my steel step and bending them was the best thing to happen to me. Let me explain. After unbolting the steps and bending them back to it's normal shape (a relatively easy process) I noticed a fair amount of rust starting on the underside of the steps and outriggers. The rust was in a location that would be very difficult to see when they were bolted on the AS, but unbolted and turned upside-down, it was easy to see. Mind you, we have only owned our AS for five months, so I'm a bit rust-phobic about my new AS. I was able to do a little grinding/sanding and painted all of the bare metal and rust spots with black Rust Bullet. For those who are unfamiliar with this expensive paint, it will stop rust like crazy. The paint is extremely tenacious and sticks to anything. Just don't get it on your hands because it's very difficult to get off. It's also best not to get this paint on the rim of the can it comes in or it will seal the lid shut. That's why it's best to buy this stuff in numerous small cans rather than a big can. At any rate, it stops rust. Now after bolting the steps back on, they should last longer.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I once thought the same thing for my 2009 27FB......until I priced the aluminum steps. As I recall, they were over $1,000 as a replacement part from AS.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
This outfit sells replacement aluminum treads (AirTreads) that use the stock stair mechanism. They're gorgeous. No idea how much they cost.

Products/Skunkworks
I just sent an email to them to see what the price is...I will let you know as soon as I find out.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Try sourcing the steps from someone other than Airstream.
My recent 16" wheel/tire upgrade was less than 1/2 the Airstream price sourced elsewhere.
The stainless upgrades/covers for water heater, furnace, etc. are less sourced outside of Airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I am resurrecting this post to discuss my step replacement project, since it was suggested others may find it interesting.

I installed a lift kit on our 19' Bambi and though the gain in frame clearance was positive, the one-step was just too high for our dog, and sometimes for us. So I installed a Lippert Tread Lite manual pull-out double aluminum step.

The quality of the step frame and the wide platform is so much better than the stock step The stock step by comparison just looks cheap and flimsy. See the picture below of the new step along side of the stock step. it just looks more substantial.

It took some backyard engineering to fabricate the brackets to tie it in to the trailer frame, but I just used 1/8 and 1/4 brackets that come in various lengths and shapes from ACE hardware. I did not have to do any welding, aside from the fact that I do not know how to weld and do not own a welder. I did have to do some drilling and cutting of the pieces, but no bending.

This order was placed directly with Lippert.

When we purchased our 23FB, it came with a two-step, but just did not look good. I was now used to the Lippert and ordered one from etrailer. Cost was the same at $258.00. It is Part No. LC333969.

I have not installed this one yet, and the install is more complicated than the Bambi. It may be due to the rear door configuration. It looks like I will need to trip off about 1/4" of the belly pan. The Lippert is 24" wide, but the stock step is just a fraction less. Why can't this be standardized????

At any rate, the aluminum step was one of the better upgrades to our Bambi, right up there with the lift kit and conversion to LifeLine 6v batteries.

I hope this is helpful to anyone considering a step replacement. And I don't mind if this thread goes off topic at some point. I always find the discussions interesting.

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream Step-compare_old-new.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	257122   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream Step-new installed.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	257123  

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Ok off subject- how did you lift your trailer and how high. Curious minds want to know😄