Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

'78 Tradwind Steps

Hi I have a 1978 Tradewind (25') and had an accident with my steps.
While driving down a dirt road , I hit a rock which ripped off the steps an created a gash in the belly pan.-Yeah Ouch! I am trying to restore the steps to factory condition. Does anyone know where to find used replacement steps?
I also bent the structural member under the AS which holds the steps and allows them to slide out. I took it to my local trailer repair company and they are asking $2000 to fix the stairs. It seems this structural member needs to be cut out and replaced. does that sound right?
twilight10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The structural members are the outriggers which cost about $11 each.
Airstream Special- Outrigger Guide

Used steps may be hard to find, but new ones are available. $2K sounds high to me. Do you have any friends with a grinder and a welder?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight10 View Post
Hi I have a 1978 Tradewind (25') and had an accident with my steps.
While driving down a dirt road , I hit a rock which ripped off the steps an created a gash in the belly pan.-Yeah Ouch! I am trying to restore the steps to factory condition. Does anyone know where to find used replacement steps?
I also bent the structural member under the AS which holds the steps and allows them to slide out. I took it to my local trailer repair company and they are asking $2000 to fix the stairs. It seems this structural member needs to be cut out and replaced. does that sound right?
Suggest you contact your insurance company.

You need to replace the 2 footstep outriggers and the footstep.

Those parts totally cost less than $800.00.

Installation, for the outriggers and footstep would take about 3 to 4 hours, depending on the damage.

Plus of course replacing the damaged underbelly wrap, and possibly more outriggers, would be extra.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

78 Tradewind Steps

Thanks for the reply
I have a wire feed welder and a grinder. Are the outriggers steel or aluminum? Do I need a welder for aluminum? Are you suggesting I do it myself? The steps are available from Airstream for $672 the rest of the estimate is labor...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Pictures of the steps and related structural damage would help when it comes to your question on the price. The steps are still available but (as a set) they are not cheap. You can also buy separate components if you just need to replace damaged parts.

I picked up a set off Ebay a few years ago for a reasonable price.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight10 View Post
Thanks for the reply
I have a wire feed welder and a grinder. Are the outriggers steel or aluminum? Do I need a welder for aluminum? Are you suggesting I do it myself? The steps are available from Airstream for $672 the rest of the estimate is labor...
That estimate then is outrageous.

All the outriggers are steel. They are not difficult to install.

A word of caution, once they are bent, they should be replaced, especially when they are old, like those you have.

Total parts are a fraction of what that dealer wants, as the 2 outriggers, ball park, are $40.00.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
You have the right tools to do it yourself. It's not hard to figure out. Just go slow, think it over, figure it out, then do it. It's not a bid deal.

I just did it on my 78 Tradewind, replaced the two steel outriggers and rebuilt the stairs. The hardest part was ordering the right parts to rebuild the steps, the service manual parts list was incomplete and wrong part numbers. I worked with a local airstream dealer to get the right parts.

I agree with Andy, don't try and reuse bent parts.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

That link to the outrigger guide was very helpful. They seem to have all the parts I need. And Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll try to do the repair myself this fall.