Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
'68 Ambassador Step Nub Slips Out

This step has four "nubs" that guide it as it slides out. The two on either side in the back follow a slot and seem fine. The two on the front follow a small slot to an extent. On one side the extent seems to have broken off. I can get someone to weld it back in but I don't know how it _should_ look. The good one is obscured from sight.

Has anyone ever fixed this problem or replaced the stairs outright?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	141558  
68ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I just repaired my own step from my 68 Globetrotter. Its side slide supports were rusted badly compromising the travel of the step. I cut it out and a friend reproduced the frame and also built into it a catch and spring lock mechanism to keep it from popping out when on the road. I have photos of it in my December update thread under Forum-Trailers-Globetrotter-1968. Hope you find it helpful.
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
thanks

Thanks, I will check the link. I've tried putting paper plates on either side of the extent and filling in with JB Weld after putting a spot of play-doh on the nub. Seemed to be close but it broke. Might try that again.
68ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You might try re filing a notch in the area. It gets worn down over time and often can be repaired with some careful file work. The other thing that is often suggested is to have someone put a bit of weld into that area, which then can be filed into the proper notch. If the plate is too rusted or worn, you can get new outriggers with the slide cut into them from Inland, or an Airstream Dealer, but to install them takes quite a bit of effort as the belly pan, and banana wrap are involved, as well as more welding.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote

« Step strut | Top | Not good »