Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
Where oh where has my rub rail gone

Howdy All, I have read several threads on this elusive rub rail and I am hoping for some help. I have a 1971 overlander in the final stages of a remodel. I am missing two pieces of rub rail. One is[was] between the wheel well and hot water heater and the other starts behind the water heater running to the center of the back of the trailer. Am I being realistic in hoping to find this or will have to come up with another idea? Oh , and thanks for all of the info so far. A year ago, I thought rear end separation was a medical condition. Thanks to you guys, I have cured my airstream
Joe
WUZENTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUZENTME View Post
Howdy All, I have read several threads on this elusive rub rail and I am hoping for some help. I have a 1971 overlander in the final stages of a remodel. I am missing two pieces of rub rail. One is[was] between the wheel well and hot water heater and the other starts behind the water heater running to the center of the back of the trailer. Am I being realistic in hoping to find this or will have to come up with another idea? Oh , and thanks for all of the info so far. A year ago, I thought rear end separation was a medical condition. Thanks to you guys, I have cured my airstream
Joe
Your rub rail has been history for over 30 years. Perhaps you can find a totalled unit, someplace.

Most owners update the molding problem, by changing it out for the new style "insert" type.

Please be advised, that Airstream has never used a "hot water heater."

But they have used tons of "cold water heaters."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Is there any way you can post a picture of the style rub rail and the width?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
I'll try tommorow, but for tonight I will try and describe. The two pieces are about 2 5/8" inches wide.one is about two feet long and the other is about four feet long and wraps around the back of the trailer to center line. It appears it was the victim of an accident. The trailer was repaired but the trim was not replaced
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUZENTME View Post
I'll try tommorow, but for tonight I will try and describe. The two pieces are about 2 5/8" inches wide.one is about two feet long and the other is about four feet long and wraps around the back of the trailer to center line. It appears it was the victim of an accident. The trailer was repaired but the trim was not replaced

There's a 74 here on craiglist that a guy is trying to sell for 1500. Really rough and I doubt it will sell. Maybe you can talk him into parting it out if it doesn't sell.

Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-07-03, 9:32PM EDT

I have a 1974 airstream camper for sale or trade. The trailer is about 31-32 ft total length. Looking for $1500 cash or trades for gas golf cart or waverunner. The camper has set alot of years, needs the floor fixed in a several places. All of the carpet and furniture has been gutted. I'm sure the windows need resealed. It has one flat tire on each side and the other two have some dry rot. The counter, sink, shower, toi;et, roll up kitchen cabinents are still present and in good shape. The stove, microwave, water heater, furnace, roof A/C, power roof TV antenna all still intact. The main awning is in good shape, small one needs put back in the holder, the fabric is in ok shape. There is a kenmore park model fridge in it also (i tested it, it works). I havent tried to hook the trailer up to electric/water or gas, so it's all in unknown condition at this time. It does have several dents, scratches etc...(as seen in the photos). This camper needs "ALOT" of work. I am selling it "AS IS". It does have a good Ohio Title. Send me an email if your interested in any parts. Contact me at kj1656@yahoo.com.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
Thank you for your time. I always appreciate the volumes of info.