Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
San Diego , California
Waxing versus clear coating??

Hello AS forums!! Just bought ourselves a 1988 34' Limited beasty and she needs some exterior love. Got someone who is willing to do the work to strip, polish and wax it and was wondering what is the better approach: waxing or putting a new clear coat on it? He recommends waxing as: "aluminum will oxidize no matter what is applied on it" but as I'm not expert and I'm hoping that there is someone out there that can give me a second opinion Also interested in the maintenance plan around either option.

Also, I know that I've seen numerous posts on here for the Excella's and their blue decals - but what about removing our special wood paneling and the trim around it? Anyone have any links to good posts/threads around the Limited versions and is that trim bar just adhered to the body?

Happy to be able to finally post now that we are AS owners! Oh and here's a pic!

Thx, Amanda

amaelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Clear-coating raw aluminum is a non-trivial affair. If I take a brand new piece of aluminum sheet, it already has an invisible layer of oxidation on it that will keep a clear coat from adhering to it well. If I were to scrub it with a brillo pad to remove the oxidation, wipe it with acetone, and then immediately clear-coat it, getting good results would still be more art than science (I know from experience with my ialuminum interior). I have only heard of one guy who is known to be competent in re-clearcoating trailers, and his business was somewhere up in the northwest, as I recall. Do a google search for terms like "airforums clear coat" from outside the forums and you might have some luck.

When they build the trailers, the aluminum they use comes with the "clear coat" already bonded to it from the manufacturer--even the factory does not "apply" clear coat to raw aluminum.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
check out P&S Trailer in Ohio. Last clear coat on our 81 lasted 15 years with simple washing and washing a couple times per year. The sides still look good to this day but the roof and upper portion have faded.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
San Diego , California
Thanks for the fast responses, good info and the warm welcome

So if I'm understanding the responses correctly, there's a few places but spread out that do the clear coating but I should be okay with just getting it stripped and polished? Any suggestions on maintenance to keep her looking clean and shiny if we take the latter route (San Diego is far from Ohio...).

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
CGtrailer in Bellflower, CA is a lot closer for you if you choose the strip and recoat. I think it comes down to personal preference. We have a 1970 and according the previous owner's records it has been stripped and re coated twice and it's about time again. While we save up for that we used some wax to help protect the bare spots for now. We prefer the less shiny, less maintenance intensive clear coat route. Lots of people love their super shiny eye catching polish finish and don't mind maintaining it. Read a bunch of the posts here and you will get a feel for what category you might fall into.

Cathy
GumbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We talked to P&S Trailer in Ohio a couple of years ago about having our 36' Classic stripped and new clear coat applied. The estimate was pricey, but their work is really high quality. They also told us the EPA has prohibited the 'good' chemicals that used to adhere and give a beautiful finish. We plan to eventually have ours stripped and waxed. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
San Diego , California
Thanks for all the input and recommendations! I think we will strip and wax and see if that's something we can maintain. If it isn't... well, a new coat it is! I bookmarked CG Trailer just in case (thx GumbyGirl )