Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Want to paint my roof white..

Will a paint job make it cooler?
1988 Excella. I would like to paint my roof a bright, gloss white to reduce temperatures. Have read one of Andy's posts detailing the process they use. I like the idea of sanding and not etching. I do not want to have to be a paint expert

Looking at a marine paint store (Jamestown, I think), it looks like the following should work:

Awlgrip 545 epoxy primer

Interlux 1 part polyurthane enamel. Gloss white.

Both are fairly inexpensive as these things go, $30 or so bucks a quart.

I have a spray rig and can use it, but would prefer to use a brush or roller on the roof. I see in the video they are using a roller on the boat for the Interlux. I have an awning on each side, so I am thinking of painting from awning rail to awning rail and stopping at the edge of the end caps.

Questions are, will the above work with some sanding of the aluminum for preparation. Can someone suggest a better paint system? Is there a reason not to paint the roof? The clear coat on this one is pretty rough on the roof but is okay on the sides.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I know nothing directly about this, but I saw a post earlier today talking about a product called Ceramiflex.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1022356

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Sounds like a good idea! I think the new airstreams come from the factory with the roof painted white.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Im about to do mine with Supertherm

Painted the dark grey shingle roof on our building with it - dropped the surface temp 50%

http://www.spicoatings.com/products/supertherm/
Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Will a paint job make it cooler?
1988 Excella. I would like to paint my roof a bright, gloss white to reduce temperatures. Have read one of Andy's posts detailing the process they use. I like the idea of sanding and not etching. I do not want to have to be a paint expert

Looking at a marine paint store (Jamestown, I think), it looks like the following should work:

Awlgrip 545 epoxy primer

Interlux 1 part polyurthane enamel. Gloss white.

Both are fairly inexpensive as these things go, $30 or so bucks a quart.

I have a spray rig and can use it, but would prefer to use a brush or roller on the roof. I see in the video they are using a roller on the boat for the Interlux. I have an awning on each side, so I am thinking of painting from awning rail to awning rail and stopping at the edge of the end caps.

Questions are, will the above work with some sanding of the aluminum for preparation. Can someone suggest a better paint system? Is there a reason not to paint the roof? The clear coat on this one is pretty rough on the roof but is okay on the sides.
My 2005 has a white roof from the factory. I wouldn't bother with the spray, roll and tip the Interlux, it will lay out flat and a quart should be enough. I have done a couple of boats with it over the years and it works great.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We had a houseboat on the Sacramento Delta for 25 years. After we got the boat I painted the roof white. Not "off white" or anything like that, but white white. The boat was much cooler inside, and the roof could be walked on in the summer sun without shoes. If it became dusty, it got hot. I used to wash the roof before every outing.

I don't see why that would not be the same with your Airstream. The factory has been painting the center panels of the roof white for some years now.

Walk up to a black and white police car in the sun and check the difference between the black and white.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I know directly about this...ref DKB .... above.....I used Ceramiflex white. It goes on great with a roller.....it flows out smooth with no ugly lines and actually seals as well. Mask the edges for a nice job. It makes a big difference
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Another option is to use an elastopmeric roof coating such as Kool Seal. I did that several years ago and it was very good. Unfortunately I found it impossible to find during my travels in NY, PA and MI even thouigh their website listed many Home Depots in those states selling it. Everytime I went to one of the listed stores they said they no longer sold the product.

I am about to recoat using Jetcoat (from Home Depot-$28) which says it will provide a 7 year protection, goes on with a roller, spray or brush and dries bright white. The container also says 'Cool King'.

Had to clean the old paint using 1 part bleach to 3 parts water which really cleaned it up well. If you do this ensure you spray fresh water on the trailer skin and then wash off the bleach/water drips before they dry.

Looking forward to a 'cool' summer.

WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote