Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
Walbernize vs. Other off the shelf spray waxes

Was going to order a bottle of Walbernize but was walking thru Wal Mart and an auto parts store over the weekend and couldn't believe how many spray waxes are on the market now. Anyone using any of these spray waxes that you can pick up locally with good results?
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have McGuire’s Ultimate for years on our Airstream.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Another member has used turtle wax "ice"
Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
WAX you say. 😂

We use Griot's, easy on/off & lasts really well. The wash soap & mop on a pole...(no scratching), also work well.👍

I use the spray wax on both the AS & Boat as a touch-up with excellent results.

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1612.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	309437  
Old 04-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Walbernize

Yeah, I have the McGuires Ultimate, I use it some. Its good on plastic headlights, protects them very well.
I like the spray Eagle nano wax, its very good. It doesn't put swirl marks on the AS. I like Walbernize, its good too. Old school wax, when you have time. If you spot clean, I use the Eagle nano, or the 'Mother's spray wax. Like you said there are many products. I don't know if you can go wrong with any of them.
My Uncle had a Scotty camper back in the 1960's & 70's and always used walbernize.
Have a good one !
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
We use Lucas "slick mist" after washing the trailer. Easy on and off, water always beads up.
The application seems to last a long time.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Walbernize

Airstream recommends Walbernize because it treats and conditions the coating that Alcoa applies to the aluminum and will keep it from flaking off as the surface ages. Wax is just wax and coats the surface according to the dealers.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Dowse View Post
Airstream recommends Walbernize because it treats and conditions the coating that Alcoa applies to the aluminum and will keep it from flaking off as the surface ages. Wax is just wax and coats the surface according to the dealers.
Actually the the aluminum skin has a clear coat applied to it just like a car.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Use only Walbernizer!! The coating that Alcoa applies is called "plasticoat" it is nothing like automotive clear coat and only Walbernizer will maintain its appearance. Using Automotive wax products will speed up the deterioration process and you will have transparent flaking like we have seen on other posts here. I use "Wally" every 2 months by spraying it on and wiping it off, and every winter I "Wally" the whole AS with a polisher. Nothing protects an Airstream better than Walbernizer!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Walbernize works well easy on and off, I like to use what manufacture recommends. Had to order online, ordered two.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Use only Walbernizer!! The coating that Alcoa applies is called "plasticoat" it is nothing like automotive clear coat and only Walbernizer will maintain its appearance. Using Automotive wax products will speed up the deterioration process and you will have transparent flaking like we have seen on other posts here. I use "Wally" every 2 months by spraying it on and wiping it off, and every winter I "Wally" the whole AS with a polisher. Nothing protects an Airstream better than Walbernizer!

Please know of which you speak...a polymer wax or sealant will in no way damage the polymer based 'plasticoat' that Alcoa developed.

Many steps have been taken since the WalberStuff was developed.👍

Boob 😂
🇱🇷
Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I guess your way ahead of Airstream, because they still recommend Walbernize!
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Please know of which you speak...a polymer wax or sealant will in no way damage the polymer based 'plasticoat' that Alcoa developed.

Many steps have been taken since the WalberStuff was developed.👍

Boob 😂
🇱🇷
Please read the words that I have used, damage? no, deteriorate yes!
It has been some time since Walbernizer was created, but it was created in conjunction with Alcoa specifically for the coating on the aluminum sheets which are still manufactured today using the same process.

Modern vehicle wash/wax/protectants are formulated for modern clear coats and not for Airstream aluminum.

The bottom line is use whatever product makes you feel all fuzzy inside, I will keep using Walbernizer til I die!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
It has been some time since Walbernizer was created, but it was created in conjunction with Alcoa specifically for the coating on the aluminum sheets which are still manufactured today using the same process.

Modern vehicle wash/wax/protectants are formulated for modern clear coats and not for Airstream aluminum.

The bottom line is use whatever product makes you feel all fuzzy inside, I will keep using Walbernizer til I die!
Hmmm. IMO once something begins to deteriorate it's damaged and it's simply going to get worse over time.

I use both Walbernizer when I have the energizer bunny going and ICE spray detailer for spot use on water spots when the battery runs low.(read that as when I get lazy). Should ICE "begin to show" any visible deterioration, I'll stop the practice.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Have been using NuFinish since factory new. Airstream skin is slick as snot for months.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Silverdale , Washington
Walbernize

I say Walbernize! Ez on Ez off = Great long lasting shine and protection.
SKANDAL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:

OK smarty pants... explain to this dumbo how a polymer based wax or sealant can deteriorate the polymer bound coating that Alcoa uses without damaging the polymer bound coating that Alcoa uses.

Please read the words I have wrote....
Polymers have been used as a binder in auto paints for quite awhile. The same type polymer resins used by Alcoa.
Very similar to the binding resins used in many of todays car care products.

NuFinish

I feel warm and fuzzy now.😂

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
X2 on the NuFinish.
Agreed, slick as snot for a long time.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interesting set of ideas here.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:

Actually in more recent years Alcoa started using clear coat that they invented for coating automobile trim.This is the clear coat that is applied to the aluminum prior to installation on your new Airstream.
Walbernizer was developed for Vintage Airstream plasticoat which was applied prior to EPA restrictions.