Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 28
Walbernize vs. Other off the shelf spray waxes

Was going to order a bottle of Walbernize but was walking thru Wal Mart and an auto parts store over the weekend and couldn't believe how many spray waxes are on the market now. Anyone using any of these spray waxes that you can pick up locally with good results?
__________________

GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,277
I have McGuire’s Ultimate for years on our Airstream.
__________________

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
rugjenkins's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 798
Another member has used turtle wax "ice"
__________________
Matt
rugjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,371
Images: 1
WAX you say. 😂

We use Griot's, easy on/off & lasts really well. The wash soap & mop on a pole...(no scratching), also work well.👍

I use the spray wax on both the AS & Boat as a touch-up with excellent results.

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1612.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	309437  
__________________
“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC


“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC




"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
Tyvekcat's Avatar
 
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 281
Walbernize

Yeah, I have the McGuires Ultimate, I use it some. Its good on plastic headlights, protects them very well.
I like the spray Eagle nano wax, its very good. It doesn't put swirl marks on the AS. I like Walbernize, its good too. Old school wax, when you have time. If you spot clean, I use the Eagle nano, or the 'Mother's spray wax. Like you said there are many products. I don't know if you can go wrong with any of them.
My Uncle had a Scotty camper back in the 1960's & 70's and always used walbernize.
Have a good one !
__________________
Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Oak Harbor , wa
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
We use Lucas "slick mist" after washing the trailer. Easy on and off, water always beads up.
The application seems to last a long time.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
2009 23' Flying Cloud
Topeka , Kansas
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Walbernize

Airstream recommends Walbernize because it treats and conditions the coating that Alcoa applies to the aluminum and will keep it from flaking off as the surface ages. Wax is just wax and coats the surface according to the dealers.
Butch Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Dowse View Post
Airstream recommends Walbernize because it treats and conditions the coating that Alcoa applies to the aluminum and will keep it from flaking off as the surface ages. Wax is just wax and coats the surface according to the dealers.
Actually the the aluminum skin has a clear coat applied to it just like a car.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 234
Use only Walbernizer!! The coating that Alcoa applies is called "plasticoat" it is nothing like automotive clear coat and only Walbernizer will maintain its appearance. Using Automotive wax products will speed up the deterioration process and you will have transparent flaking like we have seen on other posts here. I use "Wally" every 2 months by spraying it on and wiping it off, and every winter I "Wally" the whole AS with a polisher. Nothing protects an Airstream better than Walbernizer!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
Silvr_Bullet's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
N/A , New York
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 151
Walbernize works well easy on and off, I like to use what manufacture recommends. Had to order online, ordered two.
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Use only Walbernizer!! The coating that Alcoa applies is called "plasticoat" it is nothing like automotive clear coat and only Walbernizer will maintain its appearance. Using Automotive wax products will speed up the deterioration process and you will have transparent flaking like we have seen on other posts here. I use "Wally" every 2 months by spraying it on and wiping it off, and every winter I "Wally" the whole AS with a polisher. Nothing protects an Airstream better than Walbernizer!

Please know of which you speak...a polymer wax or sealant will in no way damage the polymer based 'plasticoat' that Alcoa developed.

Many steps have been taken since the WalberStuff was developed.👍


Boob 😂
🇱🇷
__________________
“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC


“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC




"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
Silvr_Bullet's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
N/A , New York
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 151
I guess your way ahead of Airstream, because they still recommend Walbernize!
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Please know of which you speak...a polymer wax or sealant will in no way damage the polymer based 'plasticoat' that Alcoa developed.

Many steps have been taken since the WalberStuff was developed.👍


Boob 😂
🇱🇷
Please read the words that I have used, damage? no, deteriorate yes!
It has been some time since Walbernizer was created, but it was created in conjunction with Alcoa specifically for the coating on the aluminum sheets which are still manufactured today using the same process.

Modern vehicle wash/wax/protectants are formulated for modern clear coats and not for Airstream aluminum.

The bottom line is use whatever product makes you feel all fuzzy inside, I will keep using Walbernizer til I die!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
zapper's Avatar

 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Please read the words that I have used, damage? no, deteriorate yes!
It has been some time since Walbernizer was created, but it was created in conjunction with Alcoa specifically for the coating on the aluminum sheets which are still manufactured today using the same process.

Modern vehicle wash/wax/protectants are formulated for modern clear coats and not for Airstream aluminum.

The bottom line is use whatever product makes you feel all fuzzy inside, I will keep using Walbernizer til I die!
Hmmm. IMO once something begins to deteriorate it's damaged and it's simply going to get worse over time.

I use both Walbernizer when I have the energizer bunny going and ICE spray detailer for spot use on water spots when the battery runs low.(read that as when I get lazy). Should ICE "begin to show" any visible deterioration, I'll stop the practice.
__________________

zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waxes, Corrision X, Boeshield T9 PSU1981 Exterior Restoration Forum 0 06-23-2016 12:55 PM
to Walbernize or not to Walbernize Lumatic Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 29 05-17-2015 07:56 AM
Cleaning off salt spray, S CA HeadWest On The Road... 2 01-26-2015 01:16 PM
How to clean road salt and spray off underbody of AS? Whirlaway Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 5 01-14-2009 07:39 AM
Silicone spray instead of walbernize??? munimula Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 5 08-15-2005 08:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.