Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #21
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I guess your way ahead of Airstream, because they still recommend Walbernize!
In addition to Walbernize, Airstream also recommends GLARE, which they sell at the Airstream online store. It is spendy, but I'm quite pleased with it thus far. According to the manufacturer it will last for 5 years, if I recall correctly. That said, it is recommended that you reapply it every 2 years. I ordered a gallon directly from the manufacturer, as you will need much more than a bottle or two of the bottle size offered by Airstream.

http://www.glare.com
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Metairie , Louisiana
My dealer recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant and I tried it. Seems to work well, spray on and wipe off. But I’m not a chemist.
avonroemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Concord , California
Which of the two Walbernize products is recommended?

Cleaner Polish & Glaze (not recommended for clear coat) http://www.walbernize.com/cleanerglaze.html

or

RV Super Seal
http://www.walbernize.com/rvsuperseal.html

Overcast here today. Nice day for wash and wax.
Funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #24
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I just used Liquid Glass yesterday (on the advice of the forums) and I'm very pleased with the results. Really easy to apply too.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonroemer View Post
My dealer recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant and I tried it. Seems to work well, spray on and wipe off. But I’m not a chemist.
The dealer must not have read the label....no mention of aluminum.
We do use it on the Airstream & boat though, to protect against UV damage, plastic, rubber, fabric, it does work very sell on most absorbent material. 👍

Hard to say how long it would last as a metal surface wax/protectant.

Boat seats in the direct sun...our 'old' boat was 12yrs old when this pic was taken, 303 does work well on marine vinyl.

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #26
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I've read the plasticoat has been discontinued in favor of a clear coat like cars get since 1964...so it depends on your Airstreams' age

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ams-67032.html

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
Ok this is on/off topic. I have some superficial scratches from some tree branches I came across a couple of weeks ago. The walbernize has helped, but not gone. Guess it scratched the clear coat. Anyone have any recommendations how to "boost up" the clear coat? Thanks
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
RV superseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funster View Post
Cleaner Polish & Glaze (not recommended for clear coat) http://www.walbernize.com/cleanerglaze.html

or

RV Super Seal

Hi Funster: I sure hope you bought the RV Super Seal. Its good. Shake well. Overcast days are the best for a good cleaning and polish. I like the Walbernize Super Seal on plastic headlights also. It never scratches them.
Have a good one !
Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I used Walberinze super seal for the first year, and though it goes on and comes off easy, the longer term problem was that it came off easy after a few rainstorms. For the past 14 years I have been using Mother's Carnuba Cleaner Wax. It lasts for the entire season, though I have to admit, I wax it 2x year.

That Glaze stuff has me curious. I may try that. Also considering a car cocoon for the trailer when it sits outside. Always worried about hailstorms, and no wax can protect against that.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
I used to work in a detail shop in high school. Typically, if you ran your fingernail across the scratch and it got hung up, you could tone the scratch down by buffing it but probably not get rid of it. If you don't feel the scratch when you run your fingernail across it, you should be able to remove it with some buffing or elbow grease and some compound.

I've never buffed an Airstream but I would be hesitant to use a pretty aggressive compound. I would start with something lite and see how that goes first.
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Call me crazy, I guess. I was using McGuire’s marine stuff (which is very good!) and came across a couple of cans of Johnson's paste wax we've had for this and that for years. Among other things, we used it to refresh the plastic bathroom in our 67 rig at the advice of Inland Andy years ago. Humm. Why not try it elsewhere?

It went on nicely. Easy to buff up. And pretty resistant to the elements for quite a while.

Lynn
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have used Blue Coral. paste Simoniz, Walbernize yrs. ago Turtle wax plus others, now use Nu-Finish & Nu-Finish scratch doctor. At this time my preferred polish plus much easier than paste waxes. IMO lasts as long as Blue Coral , paste Simoniz. Bottom line use what you like.... I don't polish much any more use Turtle wax zip that is soap & wax & several other brands that are also soap & wax.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funster View Post

or

RV Super Seal

One is recommended for clear coats (newer AS) and the other non clear coated if I remember correctly?
I think it was the super seal on newer clear coats.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #34

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake city , Florida
Please tell me specifically which walbrrnize products to get to clean and then polish. Thank you
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I have used Blue Coral. paste Simoniz, Walbernize yrs. ago Turtle wax plus others, now use Nu-Finish & Nu-Finish scratch doctor. At this time my preferred polish plus much easier than paste waxes. IMO lasts as long as Blue Coral , paste Simoniz. Bottom line use what you like.... I don't polish much any more use Turtle wax zip that is soap & wax & several other brands that are also soap & wax.
For those who like NuFinish, you should check this YouTube video out. They are REALLY good with Marketing. Not so much with actual protection.
https://youtu.be/6Y71ySLUE0c
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just finished a round with Glare. Getting to be a lot of work for an old(er) guy. My brother-in-law started using a spray on....can't remember which brand...and I gotta admit, it looks and feels pretty darned good. I assume one would have to apply more frequently??

The Glare product works very well and lasts 6 months to a year. Have used it for 9 years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

Don't chuckle...it due work.
Recommended by the OF Club.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_218.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	343146  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #38
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Has anyone tried F11? They seem to have a big marketing push on social media right now with great reviews? Not that I worry about this a whole lot, I just use Meguiars liquid glaze twice a year and am happy. Always open to new ideas though.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
My problem is removing the bug tar and road grime in doing the wash/prep especially after this last road trip. I have used Meguiar's Gold Class Wash and Turtle Wax Max Power and even with lots of elbow grease I can't seem to get it all off. I Walbernized just before the trip thinking it would be easier to clean but not so. What do others recommend for bug tar removal? I plan to try either Griot's or Glare to seal it next time once I get it clean.
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid [same thing] w/soft rag, removes tar no damage to clear coat then use any wax you like. I use dish wash liquid w/soft rag for bugs.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote